1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

WOOD STOVE GLOVES- GIVE 'EM SOME LOVES

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by El Finko, Feb 7, 2013.

1. MishMouse

MishMouse Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Verndale, MN
    Whenever I buy welding gloves holes wear in the fingures. I have a pair of flameX gloves that I just replaced after 5 years of use. Wore a hole in the pinky fingure.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. maverick06

maverick06 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    media, pa
    face - yes, i know I look silly, but when I know the firebox is really hot, I will put on a clear face shield. I just fight dry skin enough durring the year. It makes life a bit more comfortable. If I was exposed to that heat at work i would be required to wear the face shield anyways.
    http://www.harborfreight.com/face-shield-with-flip-up-visor-96542.html
  3. Bluezx636

Bluezx636 Member

Loc:
    Long Island NY
  4. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    Not sure what folks are doing to wear out gloves so quickly or require facial protection . . . I mean to say when I load the stove I'm in and out of there . . . not spending a whole lot of time with an open firebox with my face or hands exposed to the heat so that I would require much protection other than the cheapo pair of welding gloves I bought from the local True Value about four or five years ago.

Never bothered to treat the gloves as they were pretty cheap . . . and they're perfectly fine . . . sure they are a bit dirty and the left one is more worn than the right . . . as long as you're not actively setting these on fire or using them for anything other than loading the stove I would guess you should get a number of years out of the gloves without doing a single thing.
  5. bmblank

bmblank Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Half the time i don't even put gloves on. Ask I'm doing is opening the door and chucking it in there. If my hand makes it past the door jamb its about 2 milliseconds and its out again on the next split.
  6. ArsenalDon

ArsenalDon Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Meadow Valley, CA
    Harbor Freight....if you do not have a local one go online...when they put leather gloves on sale 3 pair for $5. Had pairs that have lasted 2 years. so let;s do the math. $5 for 3 pair at 2 years each means 6 years so if we amortize the pair out we are talking 83 cents per year.
  7. ArsenalDon

ArsenalDon Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Meadow Valley, CA
    That's how I get my lovely winter tan
  8. Hogwildz

Hogwildz Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Next to nuke plant Berwick, PA.
    Give it time, you'll learn the lesson we all learned. Sooner or later, you'll have a nice branding on your forearm or worse. '-)
  9. bag of hammers

bag of hammers Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern ON
    Me too, not often, but I could sometimes sit a couple nice blocks or square-ish splits nicely on the coals in a heartbeat, But having said that, I'm a bit of a klutz these days, plus I like to burn big uglies, which takes a bit of finesse to fit a couple in sometimes. The big welding gloves let me do a deep dive into the stove, get things packed in there exactly how I want, not worry as much about things going south on me. Mostly I like the gloves on anyway just to field those runaways that pop out of the stove (not often, but has happened).

I guess it depends on the install and stove location too - if I had an install on a concrete floor in the basement with nothing around it, huge firebox, less glass (I have a bay door), there might be not so much panic about this, but in the living room with the current stove and setup, the gloves are always on now.
    Kevin Dolan likes this.
  10. Hogwildz

Hogwildz Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Next to nuke plant Berwick, PA.
    Nope, no rock star, no limo. Just a ford ranger, which is too damn small, but gets decent gas mileage. I use big box store welding gloves and get a couple years out of them. Oiling them ain't going to do shat, but if you feel the need to try, have at it. $10.00 bucks or so a year or two for a pair of gloves ain't gonna break the bank.