Wood Stove Insert Suggestions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

johnnyf0614

Jul 17, 2007
Hello, I'm new to the forum, and found it extremely helpful already. I currently live in Northwest NJ. I just moved into a home that had a 30+ wood stove insert. I recently had my chimney and stove cleaned, due to extreme creosote buildup and smell in the house. The chimney cleaner said it was one of the worst he's ever seen. Took some photos and all. I want to get a new stove insert and SS liner. However I have no idea what kind to get, nor of the price. The chimney length is on the smaller side, and I thought I heard of the guys say the liner would be about 10 ft or so. I would not be using the stove during the week either, mainly on weekends in the winter. It would not be used as a main source to heat the home. Any suggestions on brand and type of wood stove insert would be appreciated. Thanks again!!

John

Before throwing out some ideas it would be really helpful if you could measure the fireplace. We can easily say X, Y or Z fireplace is a good choice, but if it won't fit into your box we wouldn't be helping you any.

Also, where in Northwest NJ? Sounds like you must be at least pretty close to my hometown (Milford, PA)

I live in Mt. Olive NJ. Exit 26 off of Rt. 80. I don't have the dimensions on me right now as I am at work. My father is at my house now, I'll see if he can measure the size of the firebox. May be a little difficult as the current insert is still sitting in the firebox.

can you give us an idea of the house its going into , a 10 ft liner isnt very long , how high is the flue above the roof, how far from the peak, picture of outside showing flue and peak would be most helpful along with flue height.

johnnyf0614 said:
What are your thoughts on the Osburn 1800. Unfortunately I'm not too well educated on the brands....

I'm one of the resident Osburn evangelists, and I own a 1800i. I love the stove. It looks very nice and heats a good portion of our home well up to the point of about 10 degrees. My home is a 2200 sqft colonial. If looking to heat an area any larger than about 1400 sqft, I'd go with the 2200. Another stove to look at is the Lopi Revere and Hearthstone inserts.

Quad also makes a bay window stove.

Fire away with questions if you want. McGriz and I will answer all the Osburn questions you have.

Warren said:
johnnyf0614 said:
What are your thoughts on the Osburn 1800. Unfortunately I'm not too well educated on the brands....

I'm one of the resident Osburn evangelists, and I own a 1800i. I love the stove. It looks very nice and heats a good portion of our home well up to the point of about 10 degrees. My home is a 2200 sqft colonial. If looking to heat an area any larger than about 1400 sqft, I'd go with the 2200. Another stove to look at is the Lopi Revere and Hearthstone inserts.

Fire away with questions if you want. McGriz and I will answer all the Osburn questions you have.

Thanks for the suggestions. I too have a 2200 Sqft Colonial. The more I see, the more I like the osburn 1800. Thanks again.

stoveguy2esw said:
can you give us an idea of the house its going into , a 10 ft liner isnt very long , how high is the flue above the roof, how far from the peak, picture of outside showing flue and peak would be most helpful along with flue height.

I live in a 4 Bedroom Colonial about 30 year old house. Chimney is on the short end of the house. I'd say the chimney length is about 20 ft. Which is why I was confused why the one sweeper mumbled something about a 10 foot liner. Unfortunately I don't have any photos at this time.

johnnyf0614 said:
Warren said:
johnnyf0614 said:

Thanks for the suggestions. I too have a 2200 Sqft Colonial. The more I see, the more I like the osburn 1800. Thanks again.

Something got missed.... You should be looking at the Osburn 2200i not the Osburn 1800i. You'll be happier with the larger firebox. My 1800i is adequate, but I sure wish I could have fit larger stove.

Ok, 2200 Sounds great. How much approximately do you think it would be. I have a local guy that will order and install it for me. Just curious what I can expect to pay approximately.

No idea on the costs, but you should be asking for a FULL LENGTH liner, preferably insulated if the existing flue is big enough to fit it. The 10' liner sounds like what is called a "direct connect" which is generally considered a hack approach at best. A full length liner will give you better draft, be easier to clean, and is potentially safer.

You should also insist on a blockoff plate to seal the bottom of the chimney where the liner goes into it.

Gooserider

Be sure to get the chimney cleaned first, before installing the liner.

Status
Not open for further replies.