Wood usage in 30NC vs BK King model

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SmokeyCity

Feeling the Heat
Mar 6, 2011
Western Pa
Assuming that I dont want large bursts of heat but instead wanted low-moderate output a steady pace -- Is it reasonable to assume that a BK King would do that using about half the wood of a 30NC ?

Since Im burning 3 or 4 cords per yr in the basement, at 50% reduction would save me 2 cords of wood ( $175 x 2) per yr. and I would not have to load the stove every 6 hrs - I could go every 12 hrs easily. That would really be nice.

Anyway - Id be interested in anyones educated guess about the ratio of wood usage to produce the same steady output vs a 30NC

(I guess Im still looking for a reason to buy a BK even though intuitively it just does not seem justifiable)

blazekings are the best for a reason.

Blaze Kings = Really, really, really long burn times (rated for up to 40 hours and I know I could get 24 hours easily and probably more). Nice, even heat. I cut our fuel bill by more than half in the first month and it was record cold (-45F nearly the whole month). It also kept our 2200 sq foot house really comfortable. My wife is usually freezing most of the winter, but not this year. I recommend getting the blaze king ultra (the big one) as you can really load that up and keep it going. While we paid about $5000 for the stove and chimney I believe it will pay for itself in less than one year (plus our borough gave me $2500 rebate). Get the ULTRA

Full load 12 hour reloads is what I do when its cold/blowing. It is a lot of wood, pushing 1/2 cord a week. While it may be more even heat and fewer reloads than the 30, I doubt it is much more efficient when running it that hard. The real benefit is you can have that big of a stove in the middle of your living space without cooking it. In the basement with a high heat demand, I think the only thing it will buy you is fewer trips down the stairs.

The BTU's you need come from burning wood, if you need X btu's to keep your home warm it won't matter which stove you use assuming their effeciency is nearly the same.

pen

SolarAndWood said:
Full load 12 hour reloads is what I do when its cold/blowing. It is a lot of wood, pushing 1/2 cord a week. While it may be more even heat and fewer reloads than the 30, I doubt it is much more efficient when running it that hard. The real benefit is you can have that big of a stove in the middle of your living space without cooking it. In the basement with a high heat demand, I think the only thing it will buy you is fewer trips down the stairs.

That does buy me something in my case since it means I can leave the house for longer periods of time knowing the fire will not go out and my pipes will not freeze.
Id like to be able to load up on Friday eve and come home Sun afternoon to a stove that is still low idling putting out just enuf heat under the pipe chase to keep them from freezing.

It just might not justify and extra $2K over the 30NC

The BK King is a perfect basement stove. It's too dang ugly to put anywhere else! The utility is superior to anything else in that is has an automoatic stat, huge firebox, and 40 hour low burntimes. Low heat output is far more acceptable when it is constant for 40 hours. Do it for the utility, don't expect to save much wood. Sure, you'll save some but not 50%.

If I had a basement with an 8" flue, it would be attached to a king.

SmokeyCity said:
It just might not justify and extra $2K over the 30NC

Justification is a very personal thing. For me, the King has made 7 months of 24/7 burning without a furnace to back me up much more convenient and pleasant. I start the stove once a year.

Two reasons your only getting 6 hours out of a full load in the 30:
1. WET WOOD
2. OPERATOR ERROR/AIR SETTINGS ETC.

Why is it so many people want to blame a stove for problems it does not create, but is expected to handle and rectify.
When you get good dry wood, and learn the stove a bit better, you'll get easily 8-10 hrs on the colder days, and 12-14 or more on milder days.
Granted, from what the BK owners boast on here, they can burn loading once a day. Once it is really cold out though, the curve evens out.

Hogwildz said:

You make it sound arrogant. Load it up and set the tstat to how long you want it to burn. If you are going away for the weekend, load it up with the good stuff, set it low and you will have a good coal bed to reload on when you get back. If you are home and want the heat, run it hot and load it every 12 hours. The option sets you back a couple grand.

SolarAndWood said:
Hogwildz said:

You make it sound arrogant. Load it up and set the tstat to how long you want it to burn. If you are going away for the weekend, load it up with the good stuff, set it low and you will have a good coal bed to reload on when you get back. If you are home and want the heat, run it hot and load it every 12 hours. The option sets you back a couple grand.

LOL,
Was not meant that way. But now that you mention it.....
There are some owners that "arrogantly" boast of their stoves, whether they are BKs, Summits, Jotuls, etc. etc. etc.
I'd say some of the BK and Summit owners can be the worst. And of course there are others who are just extremely happy with their stove and "boast" on that fact.
For me, I boast that I ain't burning no oil, and enjoy the heat I get from my stove. It can be a love hate relationship, but when I want warmth, I love it so very much. ;-)

I dont blame this stove. I love this thing. Ive just been running it pretty hot and as a result have to refill it every 6 hrs.
I have gotten 10 hr burns out of it but the heat trails off after 6 and I like it hot.
Just a personal preference that doesnt let me get any record burn times.

With a BK I would know that the heat level is consistent the whole burn due to a great thermostat. As a result I would just leave the thing alone and not refill it all the time to maintint my desired heat level.

I dont use wet wood. Check out this pic of my locust. Its *bone dry*, ignites instantly, burns blue and smokeless

I agree that the 30NC is a *great* stove. Way more bang for the buck than most anything out there.

Hogwildz said:
1. WET WOOD

Why is it so many people want to blame a stove for problems it does not create, but is expected to handle and rectify.
When you get good dry wood, and learn the stove a bit better, you'll get easily 8-10 hrs on the colder days, and 12-14 or more on milder days.
Granted, from what the BK owners boast on here, they can burn loading once a day. Once it is really cold out though, the curve evens out.

Attachments

• locust.jpg
    locust.jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 367
If you are running the 30 that hard, then I'm willing to bet that you will go through more wood w/ the BK since it has the potential to do even more heating than the 30and as you said, you like it hot so I suspect you'll ask it to do more heating which will spell more wood in total. Just a thought, not saying it's necessarily a bad thing.

pen

SolarAndWood said:
Hogwildz said:

Time for an experiment. We have several cold nights coming up in Pgh. Starting tonight its gonna be freezing overnight for a few days.

Ill load the 30 to the gills with the primo than backer down to the minimum setting and see how long till I have just enough for a hot start.

Nice thing about bone dry black locust is that once its roarin you can shut the air down all the way and you will not get even smoke on the glass!!

Ok lets see how long this thing will go!

Im loading now (its 7:53pm) Ill have it stuffed by 8pm exactly.

Hogwildz said:
For me, I boast that I ain't burning no oil, and enjoy the heat I get from my stove. It can be a love hate relationship, but when I want warmth, I love it so very much. ;-)

For me its no propane, but I'm with ya Hogz.

fuel oil is a real bugger, i hate putting it in our tank, its like the price of liquid gold!

I still say because a cat stove can burn down low and still give good heat off because of the cat, therefor not as much heat goes up the flu.
Proportional thing.

Hogwildz said:
1. WET WOOD

I'm amazed he can get 6hrs if he is really pushing it for heat. Even under the most ideal condidtions with the driest, hardest wood I think 6hrs burn is a stretch. I'm talkin stove top over 500 and more like 600-700. I haven't seen a stove yet that can push those temps for very long. Just ain't enough BTUs in any wood. Well maybe Osage Orange.

wkpoor said:
Hogwildz said:
1. WET WOOD

I'm amazed he can get 6hrs if he is really pushing it for heat. Even under the most ideal condidtions with the driest, hardest wood I think 6hrs burn is a stretch. I'm talkin stove top over 500 and more like 600-700. I haven't seen a stove yet that can push those temps for very long. Just ain't enough BTUs in any wood. Well maybe Osage Orange.

I agree - after 6 hrs it has started to cool down and I stuff it full again. I know that ive gotten the deck up over 700 really quickly before cutting back on the air. However once I cut the air way back the locust will burn slow and hot and keep the deck in the 500 - 400 range for probably 4 or 5 hrs before it starts turning into a bed of coals. Once it turns to coals the temp drops off but its a very clean burn.

Most people would milk that big bed of coals for a few more hours - I prefer to load it up again at about 6hrs.

Im not saying I use the 30 optimally - I just use it the way I like to use it.

If this thing had a coil thermostat controlling the intake like the King does - it would be one hell of a stove
in fact it would probably be able to idle for 10 hrs and produce a steady low heat output.

Im running an experiment right now and im watching the temps every half hour to generate a temp/time line.

Anyway - this stove is fun to play with - I guess im easily amused

Smokey, the BKK is worth the investment. It will not put out sufficient heat for 40 hrs. during cold months. You will end up burning hot, and loading often during the cold spells. Spring and Fall, you'll love it. DO NOT expect to experience a heat blast off of this stove, it heats quite differently. It's subtle heat. I made every mistake in the book trying to burn mine, save dry wood, but now it's burning fine. Took a while though, but that was my fault. Ask Hiram, he's stated the differences in the stoves( he's got both the 30 and the BKK). The BKK is not magic, but the wide range of situations it will work in comfortably, is worth the investment, IMHO. JB

Beetle-Kill said:
It's subtle heat. I made every mistake in the book trying to burn mine, save dry wood, but now it's burning fine. Took a while though, but that was my fault.

While it is probably another thread, I am interested in what you think those mistakes were. I go back and forth over whether to add a second King on the lower walkout level or go the wood boiler route. I keep coming back to how simple the stove is to operate and maintain vs the ability of the boiler to more evenly heat the remote parts of the house and store heat in a tank. It is also a helluva lot cheaper than going the boiler route.

Well here's my two cents:

From what I've read on the forum people love their BKs and have stated incredible performance. However, if your NC30 is doing the job-heating your house well, and saving you on your utility bills, I don't see where you'd ever make up that $2k. I wouldn't spend the extra dough to replace a great stove. But that's just me. It doesn't sound like you'd be cutting your wood consumption down that much, and their would be no change in your utility bills.

Sounds like the longer time periods between loads would be the main benefit. If you're willing to pay $2,000 for that then that's what you want to spend your money on. I don't know if you have a family or not, but if I had an extra $2,000 I'd put it towards going somewhere warm for a couple of weeks instead. But either ways sounds like you've got a great wood heat situation; NC30 burning tons of locust- a lot of guys on this forum would love to be int hat situation. Good luck.

Something is not right here if that locust heats up to 700 then drops down only to sit at 400-500 degrees with any active burn and is completely consumed by the 6 hour mark.

If I load my stove w/ mixed hardwoods (beech, ash, maple, cherry) and take the stove up it'll sit at 750 - 700 for several hours and take 6 hours to get back down in the 450 range where I have to open the draft up all the way to finish burning the coals down so that I can put another load in for 8-9 hours inbetween loads. If I try to STUFF this thing 3x per day I had better be there to open the draft up to get the coals to burn down. Otherwise, it's a full feeding at 5:30 am, a 1/2 load at 4:15pm and a full load at 8:30pm

pen

Maybe its just me but your splits look closer to thin than thick..?
May I suggest splitting bigger and making a "overnight" stash
Locust is great wood , try some more experimenting..
When you are reloading I am sure the stove is plenty warm/hot .. I learned that when my stove is hot I can close the air down to about half as soon as I put wood in ... the secondaries burn the smoke and the temp still rises fast, but on a more consistent rise, this allows me to get longer hotter burn times.... because it rises slower but seems to hang out longer at 600+

Status
Not open for further replies.