Wood, Warmth, Water and Women?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

andybaker

Feeling the Heat
Oct 31, 2008
Northwest OH
I just have to wonder, will I ever figure women out? Our house use to be cold, my wife always liked my folks fireplace. We built a house and I
put in a fireplace. It was a lousy fireplace and after a chimney fire I tore it out. I replaced it with this Kozy Heat insert. It took me about 5
years to learn how to run this thing right. Credit all due to you guys, it's true, it's really all about seasoning. Without that, the rest doesn't even
matter. Well, I'm all set up now, keeping a couple years ahead always making sure I have some well seasoned wood to get through the winter,
I keep my stacks so the wife doesn't complain too much, actually she doesn't complain at all anymore. I have good equipment, all set up, what
else can I think of? Now, my wife is too hot. Unless it's like below 20 outside this thing keeps the room too hot for her. Ok, so I open some
windows, problem solved? My daughters then say it's freezing in here. So, I have some women hot and some cold, at the same time. I know
which one to listen to, but it's frustrating to work this hard to have your wife say, stop running the fireplace during the day, When it's freezing
outside! I can see when it's real warm like 30 or 40, but the upper teens? Next problem, humidity. Either two or three in the house get sinus
infections, my wife says she talks around and everybody says, "it's the fireplace." The fireplace burns no inside air so none going up the chimney.
I have right now three humidifiers running. Water collects so much on the windows it drips down on the window sills and it has to be sopped up. Has
anybody else faced these issues?

Andy:

Get yourself a humidity meter. My furnace thermostat has one built in. If in winter time, your house humidity is 30% or more, you are fine. If you have heavy condensation on windows, you are overdoing it.

You have another problem: Looks like your wife is probably hitting the M time while your daughters are just typical late teens. Their thermostats are at different settings. Nothing you can do except present the evidence in terms of hard humidity and temperature readings.

Good luck, I don't envy you. Happy 2011!

:lol: I think you might be right. As far as the furnace goes, it hardly ever comes on. The humidifiers have a humidity setting on them and they say around 50%. The problem is the noses, they're always stuffed unless I'm pumping a ton of humidity into the air. I'd ignore it, the complaining, but the doctor bills!

I know the feeling dude, it's so hard to make a perfect world for everybody, one thing you could try when the temps really dip down just bundle up and let them freeze for a while and i bet you they will be please to see a good hot fire going. I also have three humidfiers, I placed the humidifiers in the bedrooms only and set them on low setting, if you was using electric or gas for heating they will also dry the air out to. go to wal-mart for a couple bucks they sell a unit that measures the percentage of humidity in a room 35% to 50% is what i like. If you got water collecting on the windows that is just to much moisture, I also get sinus infections and they are caused by bacteria or from a bad head cold.

Condensation on the glass will depend on several factors such as air circulation, insulation quality of the glass, air infiltration around the sill, and the temperature of the air. Since RH is well... relative, if you let the temp drop overnight, you will get condensation even if the air is not overly humidified.

If air infiltrates around the sill, the cold air will wick away the warmth creating frost or condensation.

You probably notice condensation along the botom edge of windows caused by poor air circulation. Heavy drapes or furniture placement can make it worse.

If your humidity is up over 50%, then it promotes mold and dust mites can thrive. If your home has forced air and it doesn't run at all, there is less air filtration. A HEPA filter in the bedroom may help if you/she can tolerate the noise.

As for that M time of life, you have my sympathy. If she's not open to HRT or plant based estrogen extracts, buy some wool long johns and stay out of her way.

andybaker said:
I just have to wonder, will I ever figure women out? Our house use to be cold, my wife always liked my folks fireplace. We built a house and I
put in a fireplace. It was a lousy fireplace and after a chimney fire I tore it out. I replaced it with this Kozy Heat insert. It took me about 5
years to learn how to run this thing right. Credit all due to you guys, it's true, it's really all about seasoning. Without that, the rest doesn't even
matter. Well, I'm all set up now, keeping a couple years ahead always making sure I have some well seasoned wood to get through the winter,
I keep my stacks so the wife doesn't complain too much, actually she doesn't complain at all anymore. I have good equipment, all set up, what
else can I think of? Now, my wife is too hot. Unless it's like below 20 outside this thing keeps the room too hot for her. Ok, so I open some
windows, problem solved? My daughters then say it's freezing in here. So, I have some women hot and some cold, at the same time. I know
which one to listen to, but it's frustrating to work this hard to have your wife say, stop running the fireplace during the day, When it's freezing
outside! I can see when it's real warm like 30 or 40, but the upper teens? Next problem, humidity. Either two or three in the house get sinus
infections, my wife says she talks around and everybody says, "it's the fireplace." The fireplace burns no inside air so none going up the chimney.
I have right now three humidifiers running. Water collects so much on the windows it drips down on the window sills and it has to be sopped up. Has

At the risk of being publicly flogged, I will tell you that if you have 5 women in a confined space, you will need 5 thermostats to make everyone happy. Trust me, I know as I am required to monitor and adjust HVAC systems in a large building where many of the employees are female. Now let the flogging begin.................

rottiman said:
andybaker said:

At the risk of being publicly flogged, I will tell you that if you have 5 women in a confined space, you will need 5 thermostats to make everyone happy. Trust me, I know as I am required to monitor and adjust HVAC systems in a large building where many of the employees are female. Now let the flogging begin.................

Flog you? With "Bear" on your side? not likely! (He's beautiful! :) )

Menopause is a tough road. Some flashes can knock you on your a$$, trust me. It's not all Edith Bunker going "stifle, stifle, stifle" :)

Keep a room or 2 cooler, for a retreat zone, and the rest of the house warmer?? Just a thought.

Flog me... Flog you!
nice rottie.
Andy, I feel for you dude, good luck. Remember these important words, "yes Dear"

Have the girls tried a neti pot for their nose? My friend's allergist recommended it to him and he told me. My wife doubted it, but I've been sinus infection free for a couple years with it. I still have a humidifier in the bedroom, but at least no more killer headaches.

-Gil

I ended up with dust mite allergies too so I shoot for low humidity, less than 50 %, to keep those bugs away. I also use that nedi pot type system except not the pot, it's the same brand but is like a squeezable ketchup bottle you use to force the liquid up one nose hole and out the other. Quite nice really. I like the 30-50% range RH. Easier in winter, hard to get below 60 in the summer.

So far no "M" women in the house so the stove room is presently at 81.1. Nice when outside temps are low 20s.

Women. Confounding men for 50,000 (or more!) years.
It's all part of the magic :lol:

~*~Kathleen~*~ said:
Women. Confounding men for 50,000 (or more!) years.
It's all part of the magic :lol:

They ask those logical questions. Damn it!

Yes, I was stupid enough to marry a smart woman.

BrotherBart said:
Yes, I was stupid enough to marry a smart woman.

And I was stupid enough to.....well...... let's just leave it at that.

Is M=menopause analogous to S=superman?

Mostly I am hijacking this thread in an effort to get my post count to 300 to see if my moniker will change to sizzling hot or something more exciting than fire honor society.

~*~Kathleen~*~ said:
Mostly I am hijacking this thread in an effort to get my post count to 300 to see if my moniker will change to sizzling hot or something more exciting than fire honor society.

:lol:

Sorry to disappoint you K, but I think the next level is "Master of Fire" at 500. Not that I ever pay attention to those things. :)

You'll just have to stay sizzling hot all on your own.

PS I enjoy your "cavalcade of chickens" avatar.

RenovationGeorge said:
Sorry to disappoint you K, but I think the next level is "Master of Fire" at 500.

Ah bugger. It's off to bed then.

tyvm!

I have had sinus infections so bad for the last few years. Last year I had one that lasted for 6 months, after 10 courses of antibiotics I finally broke down and had the surgery. I wish I had done it sooner because my life has much improved. Turns out I am allergic to dogs, cats, and mold. Using the humidifier too much (above 45%) was causing enough condensation on our wood windows it was making mold grow on them. After keeping the house a bit drier and moving the dog outside I have had 3 infections since the surgery a year ago. That is great for me considering I used to get 5-7 a year. Now I can catch a cold and get over it without antibiotics. You might see if your wife can get to a allergist or an ENT to find out what she is allergic to or if she has polyps as I did which also make you more likely to get an infection.

My wife likes the house to be 75-80 all winter and 65-70 all summer. I am happy when it is 73 year around but a happy wife makes a happy life.

I plan on reveling in the fact that was the firemaster in this house, I can heat the place up to 80 degrees and there's NOTHING MY HUSBAND CAN DO ABOUT IT MWAHAHAHA.

~Rose

How's it going Rose? Did the flue installation finally happen?

Great! Be sure the camera has fresh batteries!

Sinus infections are the pits, but I found using my woodstoves reduced the problem especially when the humidity gets really low. I tend to associate sinus infections with either allergens (probably in my case, the dry air killed off some of the mold that may have been growing) or dehydration (another typical trigger). Gotta make sure everyone's drinking enough water.

To the OP--I don't think this is about the big M menopause, I think it is about the big M Mold.

Maybe you have a very carefully heated 'sick house'.

First, above 30% RH should be comfortable, and not have too much condensation on windows other than single pane. Above 50%, and you risk growing dust mites in your bedding and maybe mold on your windows or in your walls (depending on construction). The meters on the humidifiers are not too reliable--they are too close to the source. Get one for $10 from radio shack or equivalent, that you can easily move from room to room and try to keep your whole house between 30 and 40%.

Next, think about indoor allergens, do you have a forced air system you can run with a filter on the return? If so, get a near-HEPA filter on it, and run the fan setting continuously for a couple weeks and see if that helps. If not, you can get a free standing HEPA filter for each bedroom (plan on a few hundred each to get a not garbage one). Do you have a furry pet that you could all have developed an allergy to? Any of the warning signs of mold (smells/discoloration/moisture) that you are in denial about?

Status
Not open for further replies.