Woodstock visit

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Backwoods Savage

Minister of Fire
Feb 14, 2007
Michigan
A few more pictures from our Woodstock visit:

Woodstocksign-2.gif

Woodstocksign-3.gif

Our own fire-man: Tony and his son T.J. discussing things with some Woodstock employees.
TonyTJ.gif

Branchburner talking with Ron. My ornery wife, Judy taking it all in.
Ron-Branchburner-Judy.gif

More folks from hearth.com. Left to right: Slow1, Craig Issod, Fire-man Tony, T.J. and the Backwoods Savage. Notice everyone has a Super Cedar.
Hearthdotcomfolks-3.gif

A Fireview burning in the plant.
Fireview-1.gif

Here is where the cat is located. Easy to get to for any cleaning which is done in just a couple minutes.
Cat-2.gif

Getting ready for the drawing. Tom is laying down the rules. I guess he forgot to mention the stove should have been mine. Maybe Todd got the warning to them in time so I could not rig this drawing.
Readingwinningcard.gif

Looks like some problems with Photobucket. I'll try to get that fixed and edit the post.

EDIT: Good. It is fixed.

EDIT: Or so I thought. Not sure what the problem is but it is with Photobucket as I tried to post more pictures but they won't post. I'll try to get that fixed and post more again; maybe tomorrow.

Thanks for the pictures Dennis, yeah, I told them to keep an eye on you, guess they kept you busy selling their stoves huh? :lol:

[quote author="Backwoods Savage" date="1284675151"]Looks like some problems with Photobucket. I'll try to get that fixed and edit the post.

EDIT: Good. It is fixed.

EDIT: Or so I thought. Not sure what the problem is but

If the picture folder has a space in it, I know that messes things up!
Thanks for the posting, and really nice meeting you and the others!

While you are fixing things.. .I think that last shot is the reading of the winner - notice that the hole has been cut in the box that the winner was drawn from.

You are correct Slow1. That is just one of the problems I ran into. Hopefully I can fix it. If not, I'll delete all of them and start over.

Todd said:
Thanks for the pictures Dennis, yeah, I told them to keep an eye on you, guess they kept you busy selling their stoves huh? :lol:

They surely sold a pastel of stoves Todd. I tried to help as I could too. Too bad you weren't there. Maybe in the future we can get together. Grab Wendell too on your way out east.

Dennis:

Thanks for the great pictures with Me and TJ! I was so busy ingesting all the great advice from the Woodstock guys that I didn't even see the camera. Those guy's were terrific - what other stove company in the world lets you bunk elbows with the builders of their stoves and learn how to rebuild them properly? They explained to me how to remove and replace the Air Duct Cover and the Combustor Pan. Seeing the various stages of stoves in assembly was awesome.

Their tests exposing catalytic converters to moisture and theories of Potassium degrading the catalysis are interesting. I almost grabbed one of their new stainless steel converters,The idea of engaging at 200 F stove top temperature rather than 250 F is almost worth the price! Any chance we can do this again next year? I think your wife might even go for it!!

Count me in for next year, maybe we can set up a special tour and BBQ?

You are very welcome Tony. And yes, the new cats sound great but we won't change until the old cat has gone bad. Also, I too worked with a couple of the fellows on ideas for when it comes time to redo a few things. They were a big help too.

Todd, that sounds like a plan. Time will tell if it can come true. It would be great if it could. How about a hearth.com meeting of several folks? There are many who live much closer than we do.

Todd said:
Count me in for next year, maybe we can set up a special tour and BBQ?

I would be interested . . . I was really disappointed to miss the event this year, but extenuating circumstances meant I could not make it . . . and for the record as much as I was thinking it would be neat to see the Woodstock factory and the new stove design, what really interested me was meeting Dennis, Craig and the rest of the folks here . . . .

Thanks Jake.

btw, if anyone has not looked at the Woodstock site lately, there are some pictures posted that were taken this year. Yes, even your's truly is in there. Here's one very nice picture.

GroupphotoatWoodstock.gif

The fellow on the right is Ron, who has made some posts on this forum.

Ronmakingasale.gif

This is one of the customers (from Wisconsin) who loaded his new Fireview into a P T Cruiser.
MikeTracyandTom.gif

And finally, for those who have chided me about smiling. From left to right, Vaughn is partially hidden, Loren, Mike H., yours truly, the ornery one.
Vaughn-Lorin-Mike-Dennis-Judy.gif

fire_man said:
Dennis:

I almost grabbed one of their new stainless steel converters,The idea of engaging at 200 F stove top temperature rather than 250 F is almost worth the price!

Do you know if these are in production? The Woodstock website shows the combustors for the Fireview 205 are out of stock. Maybe the new shipment will be these stainless ones?

Someone else was talking about a screen to pull out the fly ash to increase the life of the combustor. You know if these new stainless combustors have that screen built in?

The one I saw didn't have that screen. I'm not sure when they will be starting to sell the SS cats but a quick call would probably answer that. I didn't even ask the price. Guess I was sleeping or just in lala land at the time. To me one of the biggest factors favoring the new cats is that they should last a lot longer.

Darn it! I really wanted to go but I didn't want to do that long ride all by myself. The good man had to work and my brother was "previously committed".

(so I worked on the roadside shrub border instead... idle hands bein' the devil's workshop, 'n' all...)

What a fun photo essay. Thanks for makin' the time, Dennis.

Bobbin, we are still reeling from the treatment we got while at Woodstock. Every day it comes to mind and yes, that keeps me smiling! Maybe next year you can get to the bbq. For sure it has to be closer for you than for me. lol Hey, maybe if some of the guys from Wisconsin go and we can get some from Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, PA or upstate NY we could rent a bus. Hum. That sounds like it could get wild.

KevinG said:
fire_man said:
Dennis:

I almost grabbed one of their new stainless steel converters,The idea of engaging at 200 F stove top temperature rather than 250 F is almost worth the price!

Do you know if these are in production? The Woodstock website shows the combustors for the Fireview 205 are out of stock. Maybe the new shipment will be these stainless ones?

Someone else was talking about a screen to pull out the fly ash to increase the life of the combustor. You know if these new stainless combustors have that screen built in?

Yes, they are in production. Mike at Woodstock told me they were loading new stoves with the stainless cats, and because of that he did not think there was enough inventory to sell me one separately at this time. He specifically told me the price would be the same as the ceramic cat, which amazed me. The big advantages of the stainless are 1) lower light-off temps 2) less susceptible to potassium contamination. According to recent tests by Woodstock, it's not moisture that kills the cat, its the natural potassium in the wood that kills them. They claim to have tossed soaking wet and snow covered logs in their stove to test the theory. I thought it took a long time for the moisture damage to show up, so I'm not sure how they accounted for the time delay. The stainless is not supposed to be degraded by potassium. The one disadvantage they mentioned is it may clog more often and may require slightly more cleaning maintenance, especially with wood that emits lots of fly-ash. I wish I pushed a little harder to see if they had one they would sell me. I don't mind being a guinea (oink) pig! :lol:

Backwoods Savage said:
And finally, for those who have chided me about smiling.
Vaughn-Lorin-Mike-Dennis-Judy.gif

See, I knew you could do it! ;-)

I'm just glad to finally see a pic of the lady that actually takes care of that chimney. And probably hauls all of that wood up to the splitter. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.