Work Done in 2022

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Got my tarp on before the rain, took a 10x20ft tarp, cut in half, punched holes w/ a grommet kit and covered the new pile.
86810373-569E-4C76-9A63-6B75498F9909.jpeg

Nice job with the tarp. I was able to get my garage filled back up last night before the rain moved in. Temps this week do not look to bad, mid week some colder temps for a day or two, but then back to the 40's. Everything is just a muddy mess now, we had about 5 inches of snow last week now rain and warmer temps.

Looks like I'm back to wood this year since coal is $400+ per ton. Got a load of logs from my neighbor 6 weeks ago. Worked on it on Saturdays by myself since it was delivered. Finally got the last of it processed yesterday morning with some help from 2 of my kiddos. They had to work to pay for Thanksgiving dinner. I think I'm ready.

20221012_162819_HDR.jpg IMG-375acc1dc963123d506cb415e7c8c3ea-V.jpg 20221126_110007_HDR.jpg

Are you going to burn that this winter?

Then I would suggest to get another load like that to split and stack now so you can burn that next year. Dry wood burns much better, and safer.

My OWB doesnt really care too much about dry or wet. This wood is fine for my purpose. It is dead wood that was stacked at a logging site. I realize that this would still need to dry some more if it were to be used in an indoor or gassification unit. I may be a noob on this forum, but I understand burning wood. I've been doing it for 40+ years. 👍

Reactions: PAbeech and Bobbob
Ok. Outdoor is good for safety of your home. I hope it doesn't smoke a lot. Good luck.

This is what the previous winds did, we did use the trail that's underneath it but it's a secondary trail so we'll stay off of it. Before I try and get a cable up around it, we'll give it a winter and spring......hopefully mother nature finishes the job.

104_3378.JPG 104_3379.JPG

I took a trip around the main trails today, most everything that was down from the wind was rotten chit or small branches.

I did haul a partial load of cherry rounds home today, I'll be filling in the trail tomorrow. It doesn't seem like much of a hole but once you have a full load of rounds in the trailer, you have a good size dip on the left side when you're coming out.

Before I went clearing trails, we put in another two trailer loads of pine, this week will be a warmer week so the pine should heat the house.

104_3381.JPG 104_3382.JPG

Last edited:
Ended up working all weekend had some high winds come through on Thursday and Saturday. Some very odd weather this past month 70's then teens then warms ups and cool downs with high winds.

This beech came down last fall when we had some high winds, we had more tree damage from the two high wind events so I c/s/s the other wood late last fall.

I bucked this beech up this spring but never did get back to it until today, hopefully the trunk that is still standing will give us some good wood but that might wait until next year.

I'm thinking all the rounds I split today should give us another face cord.......hopefully.

104_3384.JPG 104_3386.JPG 104_3387.JPG 104_3388.JPG

Reactions: Bobbob and boomfire
All the beech I split was hauled off the hill and stacked today, the last load it started raining pretty good. I still have some rounds from the top I'll buck up and use on the top of this stack.... another face cord up.

104_3390.JPG 104_3391.JPG 104_3392.JPG

Well died. Brother and I are pulling it ourselves...
View attachment 303892
Never updated this...

Had it up and running that same night... Took quite a bit of time to get to semi clear water running from the spigot and still changing the whole house filter more often than previously, but we have water.

We put in two loads of ash and one load of pine this morning and since a neighbor down the road had a small dead elm down, I bucked the best stuff up and split it. There wasn't any bark on it so I put it next to a door they bring in their wood and then called them when they came home.

I also s/s the cherry rounds I hauled out the other day.

104_3393.JPG 104_3394.JPG 104_3381.JPG

Last edited:
I started my outside work today with some trail work, I filled in a stretch of the trail with some dirt, it was a good 6 to 8 inch drop.

After I fixed the trail, I headed back to get the splitter so I could split the cherry rounds we had in the woods. I also bucked up some cherry rounds near the trail I fixed and then split and stacked it along with the first cherry rounds I split. I still have some rounds in the woods that will make this stack over one face cord.

Just a few pictures of some trail work, cherry rounds/splits/stacking and my run on Hemlock Hill, hopefully it won't be my last this year. I'm hoping mother nature gives me more time running the hills before the heavy snows come.

104_3395.JPG 104_3397.JPG 104_3398.JPG 104_3399.JPG 104_3400.JPG 104_3401.JPG 104_3402.JPG 104_3405.JPG 104_3406.JPG

Since the storm is coming in on Friday, I started cleaning up the edges of certain trails and cleaned up a new area for snow storage.

I did have a small maple and a small yellow birch branch that came down in the last windstorm so they went in the stacks.

Reactions: Bobbob
Replaced the wood we have burned so far and filled a rack in the garage. Off work tomorrow so heading to the woods to split for a couple hours before rain returns on Wednesday. Deer season is over and the freezer is full...time to get back to it