Worst woodstove still in use

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beanscoot

Dec 30, 2007
Vancouver Island, Canada
Here's a couple pictures of my worn out, leaky, inefficient old beast (assuming the picture link works) that came with my house when I bought it twelve years ago. Notice the broken door held together with many nuts and bolts, the large gap at the back allowing flames to come out, and the "straight shot" air intake in the door, ideal for sending crackling embers far out onto the living room rug.

Attachments

• IMG_0990 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_0990 (Medium).JPG
    90.9 KB · Views: 1,185
  • IMG_0992 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_0992 (Medium).JPG
    34.6 KB · Views: 1,158
Holy crap man! I hope you're intending to replace this before the upcoming burning season. That things a house fire just waiting to happen.

I think you are going to be the winner. If there was a worse stove, the owners are likely dead.

Beanscoot said:
Here's a couple pictures of my worn out, leaky, inefficient old beast (assuming the picture link works) that came with my house when I bought it twelve years ago. Notice the broken door held together with many nuts and bolts, the large gap at the back allowing flames to come out, and the "straight shot" air intake in the door, ideal for sending crackling embers far out onto the living room rug.

Thats something I would do, I nice 30NC would look nice there. you got balls man

get that thing the heck out of your house man

Scrap the "worst wood stove still in use" award. You need to go after the "Darwin" award. Of course, most of those award winners are dead.

sawdustburners said:
DUH, i bet if the front door wasnt open,the flame wouldnt be jumping out the side & might actually provide secondary air thru that same hole= the stove may have evolved!

Not a chance. That hole is doing nothing but letting cool outside air to enter a smoke dragon (at the top of the firebox, no less). This wouldn't be like adding secondary air to "super heated" tubes expecting it to burn up the smoke. Aint gonna happen.

I seen a few stoves on Craigslist that would be perfect for you ;)

Hogwildz said:
I seen a few stoves on Craigslist that would be perfect for you ;)

yeah -spend a $100 on a crappy stove at a minimum. That one is nothing but scrap.

Adios Pantalones said:
Burn coal in it and see what happens. I'm curious.

Just get a wood fire going, and load it up with coal.

:lol: Yeah, yeah......coal.....that's the ticket.

Adios Pantalones - 11 September 2008 09:48 AM
Burn coal in it and see what happens. I’m curious.

Just get a wood fire going, and load it up with coal.

Yeah, yeah......coal.....that’s the ticket.

Be careful with coal. It creates carbon monoxide that you cant smell . With wood if it is leaking carbon Monoxide you will at least smell the smoke and know . Carbon monxide from coal can very dangerous. Make sure you have a detector in the house if you do this.

Also coal gets all its air from below the grates. If the stove is not designed to burn coal it very likely will not burn. Coal stoves can burn wood but not all wood stoves can burn coal.

I agree that you win this contest hands down . All done

Oh man......... :lol: No offense intended Scott. Just a little funnin' s'all. ;-P

OOPS no offense taken, I think I stayed up too late working on the addition for the stove. Still a little groggy. Sorry bout that.

Man you guys are really a bunch of "glass 1/2 empty types. I think the stove has character...........maybe a bit to much though.

Nah . . . that stove looks fine . . . just put a little bit of black stove paint on 'er and wad a ball of tinfoil in place that the flame is blowing out in the side and you'll be all set to fire 'er off again . . . just give me about 5 minutes to contact your local fire department and get them heading your way. :) ;)

---

Actually, I missed this call, but heard all about it last year. Guys in my hometown were called out to the Unity Plantation for a possible structure fire.

Arrived to find smoke in the building . . . guy had a woodstove going with a horizontal chimney pipe running from one room to another room (passing through a wall with no pass through protection) before running out the exterior wall (again no pass through protection). At that point the pipe (still regular old stove pipe) took a 90 degree bend and went up for a few feet . . . of course it was minimally supported . . . by a floor jack with a 2 x 4 running from the jack to the bottom of the elbow.

To make a long story short the guys determined that there was a fire in the exterior wall (surprise, surprise) and were about to make a few small entry points to search for the fire when the home owner took charge by firing up his chainsaw and cutting out a huge section of the wall of his house. After that the guys put the fire out . . . and left before the home owner could do any more damage.

I'm not a 'glass 1/2 empty' type. I'm a 'you have the wrong size glass' type

sawdustburners said:
Jags said:
sawdustburners said:
DUH, i bet if the front door wasnt open,the flame wouldnt be jumping out the side & might actually provide secondary air thru that same hole= the stove may have evolved!

Not a chance. That hole is doing nothing but letting cool outside air to enter a smoke dragon (at the top of the firebox, no less). This wouldn't be like adding secondary air to "super heated" tubes expecting it to burn up the smoke. Aint gonna happen.
i've seen many non epa stoves which have provision for secondary , adjustable,air intake above fire. current englader wood furnace is one. wonder why?
budism say knowlege is source of ignorance....wonder why?

Yeah, my mistake, that hole in the stove is probably an improvement over the original design. :-/

Beanscoot said:

Since the old rig is setting back inside a huge fireplace; which looks like a handsome/rustic old fireplace by-the-way, it is not as dangerous as it would be otherwise.

If we look at the old rig rather close it appears to either be a home built or a weld shop built stove. Perhaps it was a kit stove that somebody wielded for themselves. That door design was popular in my area in local welding shops back in the late 70's and on.

I agree the stove should be replaced as soon as possible. On the other hand I have to admire how much abuse this old box as withstood. There is no telling how drunk these people were when it was over fired to the point of busting welds and warping plates. I see it as a living testament to how tough welded stoves are.

Status
Not open for further replies.