• Harman Accentra Feeding Issue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mikepc

Nov 14, 2022
Pellet Stove Details:
Harman Accentra insert
6+ years old
Burn 2 tons/year
Stove completely cleaned 2 to 3 times year
Normal settings:
Room Temp – 90 degrees
Feed Adjustment 3.5

Problem:

With a feed setting of 3.5, everything has worked just fine for years. But, starting last year I started to spill pellets. So, I turned the feed setting down to 3, then over time, I had to turn it down to 2.5 then to 2 and now 1.5. At a setting of 1.5 I am not spilling pellets, but it is feeding pellets as if it was set at 3.5.

I am a DIY type guy and have replaced blowers etc., but this one has me stumped!

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Mike

Mike,

Someone better suited will pick this up soon I would think but to me it may be a board issue?

I guess I would start by cleaning the feed rate potentiometer if your insert has the P series style board.

Pellet Stove Details:
Harman Accentra insert
6+ years old
Burn 2 tons/year
Stove completely cleaned 2 to 3 times year
Normal settings:
Room Temp – 90 degrees
Feed Adjustment 3.5

Problem:

With a feed setting of 3.5, everything has worked just fine for years. But, starting last year I started to spill pellets. So, I turned the feed setting down to 3, then over time, I had to turn it down to 2.5 then to 2 and now 1.5. At a setting of 1.5 I am not spilling pellets, but it is feeding pellets as if it was set at 3.5.

I am a DIY type guy and have replaced blowers etc., but this one has me stumped!

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Mike
Hi Mike,
Had a similar problem recently with Harman Invincible Insert which is 20 years old. Tried a number of different things without success. I then stumbled upon some advice concerning the door gasket. I did not notice anything unusual about the gasket and it seemed to be sealing just fine. I performed the "dollar bill test" on the door. I placed the bill at various spots around the gasket, closed the door and tried to pull it out. It did come out at a few locations indicating that I did not have the best seal and that the gasket should be replaced because the stove is intended to work best when it creates a vacuum by pulling air in from one point only and then exhausting out at one point. I replaced the gasket and now have a nice seal, a nice vacuum effect, and am back to using pellets at the lower rate which I had previously.
SpiralSparky

Same thing happened to me last week. I shut the stove down and unplugged it for a while. Plugged it back in and it was back to normal. Then about 2 days later went back to doing the same thing. I’m going to clean the fines box out and install an oak soon so maybe I’ll replace the gaskets.

One thing I did notice during shut down is when the room blower shut off the combustion fan was sucking air from my hopper. I pushed down on the hopper lid and the sound stopped. I believe the top of the stove is slightly depressed in the middle. I’ll have to put a straight edge on it and see. The hopper gasket is in very good condition. It looks like the hopper lid bracket is adjusted to its tightest setting.

One question I have is how does the stove know where it’s getting its air from? It’s all routed through the fire pot and out the exhaust. It doesn’t care where the air comes from as long as it meets the vacuum requirements . My stove is an older model so maybe the newer ones have some air intake sensors. I think all mine has is a vacuum sensor.

Last edited:
I guess I would start by cleaning the feed rate potentiometer if your insert has the P series style board.

How do do this? Do you remove the board and just spray deoxit on the pot?

How do do this? Do you remove the board and just spray deoxit on the pot?
Unplug the stove, Deoxit D5, It states safe for circuit boards... Spray it into the pot, turn the potentiometer many times. Use a rag to catch the over spray and drip.. Shows it in video at 4:15..

Looks pretty straight forward. Thanks.

Same thing happened to me last week. I shut the stove down and unplugged it for a while. Plugged it back in and it was back to normal. Then about 2 days later went back to doing the same thing. I’m going to clean the fines box out and install an oak soon so maybe I’ll replace the gaskets.

One thing I did notice during shut down is when the room blower shut off the combustion fan was sucking air from my hopper. I pushed down on the hopper lid and the sound stopped. I believe the top of the stove is slightly depressed in the middle. I’ll have to put a straight edge on it and see. The hopper gasket is in very good condition. It looks like the hopper lid bracket is adjusted to its tightest setting.

One question I have is how does the stove know where it’s getting its air from? It’s all routed through the fire pot and out the exhaust. It doesn’t care where the air comes from as long as it meets the vacuum requirements . My stove is an older model so maybe the newer ones have some air intake sensors. I think all mine has is a vacuum sensor.
About the vacuum issue, I don't know for sure but my guess is that the stove works on the AMOUNT of air which it is getting and by air coming from places other than the main air source that makes the fire burn higher than the settings would indicate. Just my guess.

A few days ago I was cleaning the stove and noticed the esp was caked with ash. I manage to reach it with a toothbrush and clean it pretty good. So far the feeding issue has stopped.

The deoxit 5 arrived today so I’ll be cleaning the pots anyway.

Reactions: Washed-Up