028 in Fredericksburg

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Foragefarmer

Jan 14, 2013
Central, Virginia
Reactions: smokinj
I think someone could offer $75-80 and maybe get it and feel good about it. It doesn't say chainsaw just saw so it didn't come up on my normal app searches.

On the other hand I had the pleasure of spending $1600 on rubber tracks for the T190.

I have an 028 in about the same condition, replaced the fuel and impulse lines. Plan to list it for 175 after I run it for a little while. For $100 I'd have ten people wanting to drive over after work.

Well no one bought the saw and he dropped the price to $75. So I had some time this morning and went up and got it. Fired on the third pull even with what smells to be very old gas. Even had the original owners and safety manual! I am going to clean it up a bit and run it a little and see what I think. It is a 028 Super so from what I have read it is a 51cc saw vs 47cc for the standard 028. It is wearing what may be the original bar an old bar either way. I will take some pics when I have it cleaned up.

And I stripped her down and cleaned her up! I also put in some fresh gas and it runs and starts like a dream. You only have to pull the cord about 8-10 inches to get it to fire when warm.

I have read 13k rpm max but does anyone know for sure? The owners manual doesn't say; that I could see, although the person that stated 13k said they got it from the owners manual.

Google search "bills saw shop Stihl specs" and see what pops up. He had a list of models that included the max RPM spec for a lot of older models.

Do yourself a favor and pop the muffler cover off. Grab a 3/8 bit a drill 2-3 holes in the deflector that angles the exhaust down inside the body of the muffler. Then remove the front screen and drill 2-3 holes in front cover so it is in line with the exhaust outlet.

When your done, you should be able to see the piston through the 1st set of holes and then the screen through the 2nd set of holes drilled. This is a very easy Muff Mod for this saw and wakes it up nicely. You will need to adjust the H screw slightly to attain the proper Four stroking at WOT. But from the outside the saw looks stock. Inside. Tells a different tale :)

Congrats on the deal. It's a good one.. 028 is a solid saw and I sold one here for $250.

image.jpg

Google search "bills saw shop Stihl specs" and see what pops up. He had a list of models that included the max RPM spec for a lot of older models.

I did but the max RPM on the 028 isn't listed. The ones that do have max RPM listed around it are either 12500 or 13k. Maybe the guy over at AS meant shop manual but he said owners manual and I have a question mark in my head. It was and old thread that I was searching and I have not seen another reference over there. Just throwing it out there.

Do yourself a favor and pop the muffler cover off. Grab a 3/8 bit a drill 2-3 holes in the deflector that angles the exhaust down inside the body of the muffler. Then remove the front screen and drill 2-3 holes in front cover so it is in line with the exhaust outlet.

When your done, you should be able to see the piston through the 1st set of holes and then the screen through the 2nd set of holes drilled. This is a very easy Muff Mod for this saw and wakes it up nicely. You will need to adjust the H screw slightly to attain the proper Four stroking at WOT. But from the outside the saw looks stock. Inside. Tells a different tale :)

Congrats on the deal. It's a good one.. 028 is a solid saw and I sold one here for $250.

View attachment 107966

That saw looks fresh from the shop wall! I like the lines it is a good looking saw in my mind.

I pulled the muffler already when I was cleaning the saw, but didn't mod it. I think I am going to leave it stock and keep it awhile and sell it on.

Unless I found an example of the big brother an 038 super or better a magnum at a good price.;)

The 028 is pretty underwhelming from a performance standpoint. If somebody wanted it for the right price I'd give it a new home. 038S/M on the other hand.....

Reactions: pyroholic
The one I had was pretty shocking to run. But that was after the Muff Mod :cool:

When you speak of a muffler mod waking the saw up are you meaning the saw above? That one is a Wood Boss and is a 47cc saw. Mine is a Super and is a 51cc saw. Mine might benefit even more. But then again there were supposedly a number of different mufflers in addition to the three different displacements.

3 cc's ain't gonna make much of a difference.

Actually, my 036 Pro's are 63cc and the MS 361 is 59cc and is Much Much Meaner!!!

As for the muff. Is there a deflector on the front of muff, pointing all air down?

Drill a couple 2 or 3 holes in the front muff (behind where screen is), then 2-3 more holes in the deflector that blocks you from seeing the piston.

This not only improves the performance. But.... It helps to keep the saw cooler by allowing flow through the saw

4cc's :)

In terms of the 036/361 statement, that is two generations of saw separation. I would hope the 361 out preforms the 036. Where as we are talking about the same generation of saw with the 028. Apples and oranges. Not a big difference but it should be noticeable. At least when they were new.

Dexter Day= muffler mod pusher man. :)

They work... and they keep the saw running cooler. It takes about 2 minutes on that particular muff. I have worked on the old steel tank models and plastic tank models. I have a pretty early plastic tank on the bench right now. I can take pics if you'd like? Its easier than most people imagine. ;) If I said you could get a 10%-15% power increase out of your Dually in 5 minutes? Would you do it?

3cc - 4cc Pfft... ;)

Reactions: Foragefarmer
4cc's :)

Dexter Day= muffler mod pusher man. :)

They do in fact work. If your willing to trade a bit of noise for better overall performance that is. Didn't you do a dual port muffler on that MS440? That should have made a very noticeable difference.

Reactions: DexterDay
They work... and they keep the saw running cooler. It takes about 2 minutes on that particular muff. I have worked on the old steel tank models and plastic tank models. I have a pretty early plastic tank on the bench right now. I can take pics if you'd like? Its easier than most people imagine. ;) If I said you could get a 10%-15% power increase out of your Dually in 5 minutes? Would you do it?

3cc - 4cc Pfft... ;)

No problem on doing it from this end I have done my 390 which woke it up a whole lot and put a dual port on the 440 which is the same difference. I just want to run it stock for a little while and then decide what I am going to do with it altogether.

And as far as the Dually goes...;). I already understood where you were coming from, and I get the point. I was paying you a complement in a nearly back handed sort of way.

Reactions: DexterDay

3cc - 4cc Pfft... ;)

I woudn't mind seeing some pics... Have a few 028s in the family, wouldnt mind modding them up!

1st pic is the internal baffle. I drilled 3 small holes. You can also remove this for the best results.

The 2nd and 3rd pic are of the outer face plate of muffler. You can either drill several small holes in this or remove it. I like to remove this one and then bend the outer deflector to open it up some more. Gives the saw a nice tone once the muff mod is done and wakes these lil saws up :)

Cheers

20130811_131726.jpg 2013-08-11 13.48.30.png 2013-08-11 13.57.16.png

Thanks Dex. I always figured the mufflers with this style were pretty open already, so I never bothered to mess with them.

1st pic is the internal baffle. I drilled 3 small holes. You can also remove this for the best results.

The 2nd and 3rd pic are of the outer face plate of muffler. You can either drill several small holes in this or remove it. I like to remove this one and then bend the outer deflector to open it up some more. Gives the saw a nice tone once the muff mod is done and wakes these lil saws up :)

Cheers

View attachment 108255 View attachment 108256 View attachment 108257

The muffler on mine is different.

It has a spark arrester on the front cover as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.