028 runs backwards?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bad69bird

Oct 7, 2011
New London Pa
Friend of mine has a Stihl 028 that runs backwards. He thinks it may be related to ingnition module anybody ever heard of such a thing?

Friend of mine has a Stihl 028 that runs backwards. He thinks it may be related to ingnition module anybody ever heard of such a thing?
I can see where that could possibly happen of the ignition timing was advance really far, but all the saws I've ever had apart had very limited adjustment on the coil. I have a hard time seeing how he started the saw......you have to pull it in the proper direction for it to start. Has he checked to see if the key in the flywheel is sheared off? After some thought, the flywheel sounds like its not right. HMMMMM. Something to ponder.......

simple solution. just flip the chain around.:)

Reactions: smokinj
ok asked him for a better dispcrition. was converted to electronic ignition. starts in the proper direction then sounds like a backfire maybe at which point it runs backwards for about 10secs before shutting off. this all happens at idle

After reading some stuff about the subject, it appears some 2-cycles can run backwards after a backfire occurs. That being said, is the coil set correctly off of the flywheel? Sounds like it could possibly be an erratic spark problem.

it's ruined. I'll give him $25 + shipping for it.

Seriously, though. Something is awry with the flywheel (sheared key like scotty said, for example). I suppose there is a chance that his conversion is botched because of a bum module. those are pretty cheap, maybe try a new one.

Reactions: Nixon and ScotO
I had a snowmobile years ago that would do the same thing - except it would keep running. You didn't know it was running backwards until you hit the throttle.:eek:

If it didn't have this problem before the electronic mod - then it is the electronic mod.

I had a snowmobile years ago that would do the same thing - except it would keep running. You didn't know it was running backwards until you hit the throttle.:eek:

If it didn't have this problem before the electronic mod - then it is the electronic mod.

Interesting . . . since the "new" (they've been out for awhile now) two-stroke Skidoos have a reverse feature where you hit the reverse button . . . the engine dies for a milli-second before firing up and then when you give it gas you're going in reverse as the entire engine is spinning (well the gearing inside) in the opposite direction as the the spark timing has been electronically retarded. To put the engine back into the forward gear you hit the button again, the engine dies and you're in the forward gear. This whole deal can only happen at a certain RPM though . . . guess it's a safety feature so you don't accidentally hit the button when you're zipping along at 50 mph in the field.

Interesting . . . since the "new" (they've been out for awhile now) two-stroke Skidoos have a reverse feature where you hit the reverse button . . . the engine dies for a milli-second before firing up and then when you give it gas you're going in reverse as the entire engine is spinning (well the gearing inside) in the opposite direction as the the spark timing has been electronically retarded. To put the engine back into the forward gear you hit the button again, the engine dies and you're in the forward gear. This whole deal can only happen at a certain RPM though . . . guess it's a safety feature so you don't accidentally hit the button when you're zipping along at 50 mph in the field.

Love that feature on a snow machine. My Skandic works that way
Not so good for a chainsaw though. :)

Reactions: ScotO
Love that feature on a snow machine. My Skandic works that way
Not so good for a chainsaw though. :)

HehHeh . . . RER: good for a Skidoo. . . not for a Stihl.

Thank you everyone for the advice I will pass it along. Maybe a little while before he ever actully gets around to messing with it

Second time I've seen an issue like that posted here but I've yet to actually see a saw do that. I'm curious how the conversion to electronic ignition was done. Via a new Stihl ignition module or a Nova/Mega-Fire conversion?

Reactions: smokinj
If he holds the running saw near the base of a felled tree, does the tree right itself?

Reactions: Gark
Status
Not open for further replies.