1 year seasoned white oak or 2 year seaoned maple?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ricky8443

Burning Hunk
Apr 22, 2014
Glenside, PA
Both cut, spilt and stored in similar conditions and im similar amounts of time. Which one will have better heat output for this year? Haven't had the chance to put the moisture meter on them yet.

Reactions: Wisneaky
If I was a betting man . . . go with the maple . . . the oak would be the better bet in another year . . .or two.

That said, sugar maple isn't anything to sneeze at when it comes to heat output, coaling and long burns either . . . it's right up there . . . maybe not in the major leagues as oak, black locust and hedge, but it's playing in the minors and has a lot of potential.

Other species of maple may be moderately good . . .

But the real key in your question . . . assuming all things are equal . . . trees were live/dead when cut (i.e. a long dead oak tree may beat out a fresh cut maple even if that maple has an extra year of seasoning), trees were cut, split and stacked in the same conditions (i.e. both were stacked in the same manner and the same wind/sunlight conditions vs. one just left piled up and in the woods while the other was single row stacked and left out in the sun and wind) . . . the maple should be more seasoned (dried) and be the better choice for maximum heat out put at this point.

Reactions: osagebow
I agree with the above, basically I'll take 2 yr seasoned anything vs 1 yr oak. But for the record what type of Maple? Silver and such dry pretty quick. Some of the harder ones take time too.

Ive had maple ready with in a year from splitting, granted it was stacked in single row pallets, top covered in the sunniest / windy part of my yard, I would try the maple, the oak is much denser and it takes longer to dry out

I'll take anything seasoned over anything unseasoned. I think the maple should be well seasoned and the oak not seasoned, so I'd take the maple. Sugar Maple is the most dense maple, but I'd still take it if it is Red or Silver or any other Maple.

Not sure what kind of maple it is but 2 year old sugar maple is 100% ready to heat your home right now. Even if it's red or silver maple, while it does not match the DRY btu's of sugar or oak, you will at least get the most out of it. No worries about creosote or sizzling fires.
IMO there's no question. If you need it this winter get the maple.

Status
Not open for further replies.