10 Year old wood stove pipe still emitting smell when too hot

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Not in our case. Our pipe usually stays very clean as long as we stick with dry wood.

Any possible chance you damped down on a fire containing some wetter splits? I have done that a few times early this year and got a strong stink. Finally figured the pile I had gotten into was a bit wet. Had the smell a few times. Nothing again since getting into my well seasoned wood. Just a thought. Hard to believe you still have paint cure stink?
Thanks for that point. I had the smell yesterday evening for the first time. It's my second year at with a Hearthstone. The pipe is double wall. Flue is 35' new masonry (Isokern). After restoking, I run it up to 400-459° then shut stack and intake gaskets. The stove top then runs up to 550° before slowly dropping. (Stack damper is necessary due to tall flue/strong draft.). For a couple of weeks, I've been mixing one splint of unseasoned ash with about five seasoned sticks. The unseasoned goes against the rear wall. I must have gotten in a hurry last night and dampened down too soon. Phew! By the time I noticed (the stove is in a finished basement), the stove top was above 500° and the stink eventually cleared out. I will use only seasoned on the next restoking to see if there is another cause for the stink. Mixing the unseasoned is an experiment. It's been working well. Any thoughts out there, other than it's dumb to mix unseasoned? Thanks.

Pipe gets hot enough to stink sometimes. Very little out of the pipe when cleaning. Chimney fires?
That was in the back of my mind. Build up of creosote then it catches and burns causing the pipe to get really hot.

@FrankP, do you run the stove on high at least once a day for 30 mins?

That was in the back of my mind. Build up of creosote then it catches and burns causing the pipe to get really hot.

@FrankP, do you run the stove on high at least once a day for 30 mins?
For the most part yes. But on warmer days I get careless and keep it dampened so the house don't get too hot.

@FrankP, do you process your own wood or buy it cut and split? How long does the wood dry and is it split stacked for that amount of time?

Last edited:
After 2 yrs I get that smell on occasion as well but only when the stove gets too hot. I can always tell when the stoves running hotter than normal by that smell (usually 550 + on the magnetic temp gauge on the stove pipe 18 inches up)
In your case i'd also wonder if something "changed" in your set up somewhere. Did a connection pull apart or a pipe burn/rust thru in the wall or ceiling and you're getting a combustible smoking slightly. Or is it just an over fire situation? I'd error on the side of caution and go thru the chimney looking for flaws.