10 years and over 16k hours on my free GE Geospring heat pump water.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Brian26

Minister of Fire
Sep 20, 2013
Branford, CT
Just hit 10 years on my GE Geospring heat pump water heater. It's been in heat pump only mode and the compressor runtime is over 16k hours.

I have had zero issues with it and the only work done was an anode replacement at 5 and 10 years.

My state had a $1k rebate available and the unit itself was $1k so I got it for free. When I installed it people told me I was crazy but its been nothing but reliable.

RDT_20230507_0532257617547361591964314.png

My 80 gallon AO Smith HPWH is approaching his 11th birthday this summer. He is 7' tall, weighs 1000 lbs, and we call him 'Optimus Prime'. He's been in HP only mode the whole time, no run timer. His hum in the garage is just audible in my living room sometimes, but sounds like the warp engine in Star Trek TNG, a reassuring sound. :p

I had a control board go bad a few years in, I called the maker and they fedexed me a new one for free, which took 10 mins to swap in. Powered anode, so no maintenance there.

The whole install cost me $5k in 2012 dollars, bc we don't have the same utility programs in PA. Just cheap kWh.

This guy let me finally say goodbye to the oil man (I had put the ASHP in in 2008). Just DHW was costing me ~300 gallons of oil per year, most of that in standby. So its probably paid itself off 2X already, in addition to saving ~30 tons of CO2 emissions so far.

Reactions: rwh63
It's nice when a plan works out well.

My solar hot water system is past 20 years old. One bad check valve and one expansion tank replacement to date. I can hear the DC circulator pump when the suns out. For 9 months a year its free to run and then I switch a couple of valves and it preheats my water before going into an aquamate. Sealed refrigerant systems can run a long time, look at grandmas refrigerator out in the garage or old soda machines. Tom in Maine used to sell external HPHW heaters that he bought surplus, those reportedly are still running.

Reactions: bogieb
Starting year 4. Wish I could track compressor hours. Every once in a while it gets stuck in some software look where the fan runs continuously but the compressor won’t run and it defaults to the resistive elements. A quick hard reset at the disconnect and the problem is solved.

The units don’t short cycle as they are correctly sized for the load. 20k hour lifespan is probably possible. The fan running that long I find impressive.

Have you cleaned the coils?

Get a real top dollar ac surge suppression/ line filter and that problem will likely disappear. Power company lines are frought with errant signals and various noise and surges. These play havoc with electronics as the Mfg have very little incentive to provide a good claen power supply section on their circuit boards. 80%or more of electronic problems can be traced back to the grid.

Get a real top dollar ac surge suppression/ line filter and that problem will likely disappear. Power company lines are frought with errant signals and various noise and surges. These play havoc with electronics as the Mfg have very little incentive to provide a good claen power supply section on their circuit boards. 80%or more of electronic problems can be traced back to the grid.
That's what fried the control board on our pellet stove and on a friend's mini-split. Both occurred in the summer when the units were grid connected but not in use. After that, I ran the pellet stove on a UPS.

Get a real top dollar ac surge suppression/ line filter and that problem will likely disappear.
And locate that top dollar surge suppressor right in the main breaker panel (which I think was implied in the above)

Reactions: EbS-P