$100.00 + For a Sledge Hammer?!?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ralphie Boy

Minister of Fire
Feb 12, 2012
Rabbit Hash, Kentucky
The Wilton Bash, nice looking tool but is it worth the price?? Okay so it has a life time guarantee on the handle, but I've never broken a handle on a sledge in my life nor have I trashed the head. Maybe 100 cord split by hand, never a broken handle even with a cheep sledge. The reoccurring problem I have is the wedge or retaining plug comes out of the handle letting the head come loose and creating a dangerous situation. The Wilton does not have a guarantee on that part of the handle.

I've got an 10 lb. Lowes house brand now that the plug came out of and I'm thinking that cleaning the handle and the head, applying some good epoxy and I'm good to go again. Cheaper than $100+ for the Wilton sledge, but I may spring for $105 for the 8lb. maul. What do you think?

upload_2014-4-27_11-0-5.jpeg upload_2014-4-27_11-1-12.jpeg

Last edited:
Ive never used the wedge , but those BASH hammers are awesome. Basically indestructible. And they seem to vibrate a lot less.

Like my grandmother always said "A fool and his money is soon parted" I could see if used daily
for hours at a time but a $5 yard sale one would do just fine in most cases.

If you use one on a regular basis, then go for it. I imagine it is a quality tool.

But I try to avoid sledge and wedge. When I have to go that route, my Ames with FG handle does just fine. I could buy two of those some wedges and a few cases of beer for that price.................

Mmmmm, beer. <------- done in my best Homer Simpson

Hmm interesting, I could see myself being interested in the maul but that is a lot of money, and a standard fiberglass handle has never let me down. I've broken wooden handles though.

Just out of curiosity I emailed the company to find out where they were made, my interest may have peaked a little more if they were made in USA but alas, they are made in Mexico.

Status
Not open for further replies.