100 a cord

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bowow

Nov 27, 2013
Chbg pa
Called a guy this morning about some slab wood. He said he's had it since this past January, it's debarked and it's oak. We be gotten a little snow today and said the slabs are kept outside. It's $100 a cord delivered. Good deal? Can I burn this like yesterday? The wood I got apparently is a little wet because it sizzles. Mix the slabs in with some of my wet wood for better burn?

Worth a try, it should burn OK, $100 a cord for slab is high but if it has been sitting for a year stacked you gotta factor that, if just thrown in a heaping pile the center will not be ready to burn. I usually see ads for $35/cord for slab from local saw mills.

Also it will be hard to gauge a cord with slab as it is about impossible to stack (for me at least)

It could still be unseasoned if it's oak. Ask him if you can buy $5 worth as a test and try it out. If it still sizzles (likely) then pass.

Reactions: oldspark
Just to be sure, are we talking true cords, or face cords (aka a "rick")?

You might want to check dimentions. Around here, most people refer to a face cord as a cord. I see it on craigslist, signs, etc everywhere.

Reactions: PapaDave
slab wood burns pretty quick, at least that's what I remember from a load I used a few years back. great for quick hot fires but not too much for long burn times unless you can pack it in real good. I got mine for $35-$40 for a truckload with side racks.....probably not quite a cord. check the slabs and make sure its not just a bunch of bark too. the load I got had some good wood on it but had a lot of bark left too.

Because it is debarked will make some difference for sure. $100 per cord if a full cord is maybe a tad high but not neccesarily so. It really depends upon the slabs. There can be a big difference in how much wood are in the slabs. If all really thin, then it is questionable except for mixing with other wood.

For sure anyone burning slab wood needs to be aware that there always exists the possibility of a super hot fire if burning only slabs because it is thin stuff and can get quite dry. That is why it is usually best to mix it with other wood or burn it in daytime or spring/fall burning.

A cord of seasoned oak slab wood? I'll take that in a heartbeat.
A cord is a cord. 128 cu ft of slab wood would stack nice in a woodstove.
Am I missing something?

Status
Not open for further replies.