102yr old house partial remodel

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
All relative. I have friends in Europe who laugh at what we call old, although they will admit we do a much better job at preservation, whereas their method is usually more modernization through renovation.
The latter is not necessarily the case. There are sooo many old buildings that not every one is worth saving. However, if your home has been qualified as significant (and that does not mean related to some influential history, i.e. poor people's homes as well), there are very strict rules about what one can change and what cannot be done.
At least that is how it is where I came from.

Modernization happens here too. Hard to find a home without electricity, after all...

Father in law. Planed and cut some new tounge and groove for us where I messed up the floor. He put that in today. All wall boards and trim installed. Put on a full coat of primer with brushes. We thought we had rollers but couldn't find them

20221204_183809.jpg 20221204_183816.jpg 20221204_203200.jpg

Reactions: Ashful
The latter is not necessarily the case. There are sooo many old buildings that not every one is worth saving. However, if your home has been qualified as significant (and that does not mean related to some influential history, i.e. poor people's homes as well), there are very strict rules about what one can change and what cannot be done.
At least that is how it is where I came from.

Modernization happens here too. Hard to find a home without electricity, after all...
Yeah, I shouldn't generalize so much, Europe is so varied in their thinking and customs. I was basing this on having worked in Germany for many stretches of several weeks at a time, and becoming very friendly with a family in the building trades near Stuttgart. Countless old buildings but so few preserved with original doors, windows, etc. Nearly all are gutted and refitted with modern casement, unless as you noted, they have some unique historical significance.

I also worked in England and Ireland for a bit, and they're opposite to a point of near-absurdity, although I've always personally appreciated it.

I will say that I had a German electrician stay with me for a bit in a Victorian house I owned 20 years ago, and I was renovating the house at the time. He would shake his head in disbelief that I was installing what he considered "WW2 Russian technology", every time he saw me installing our standard toggle wall switches, or even touching a wire nut. ;lol

Yep. I have lived a short while in an English cottage somewhere outside of Oxford. 4 ft thick field stone walls. (Low ceilings - not good for a 6'4" guy...). Single plane (wavy glass from the pear wood used to flatten the panes) windows.
Still, very nice. Though (for me) for a short while.

Rural older English homes are much nicer than rural Dutch homes.

If I recall, you're from the land of Affligem, Rochefort, and Pauwel Kwak?

One farther to the North whose name I dare not say after yesterday's sporting event

Ah, well then the tall height makes sense. If I recall, Amsterdam is the "tallest" city in the world.

Tape the faucet knobs given that it has water but no drain...
Hate to ruin a nice new wood floor...

Not completely done. But usable with no leaks so far. All we got left is t.p. and towel holders. New hardware for tub with shorter supply lines. And I got some fixing to do on the floor where I applied the finish to thick and it didn't fully cure

20221210_111915.jpg 20221210_111929.jpg

Got home today extreme cold outside. Pipes froze in-between first and second floor. These are the new ones for the new bathroom. Made a hot line leak and a cold line is froze still. Winds are 50mph today and I bet 10mph of it is blowing through the house due to the 100yr old decking covered by vinyl siding. We literally have snow blowing into basement lol. Had to rip down part of kitchen ceiling to repair hot line. Gonna leave it open for the winter to hopefully get them some warm air from the woodstove

20221223_141029.jpg 20221223_141038.jpg 20221223_151025.jpg 20221223_152642.jpg 20221223_152758.jpg

Bummer. But maybe this cold snap is a blessing in disguise, it allowed you to find the problem while still under renovation, and while your mind is still in the mode of accepting the mess that comes with it.

Got home today extreme cold outside. Pipes froze in-between first and second floor. These are the new ones for the new bathroom. Made a hot line leak and a cold line is froze still. Winds are 50mph today and I bet 10mph of it is blowing through the house due to the 100yr old decking covered by vinyl siding. We literally have snow blowing into basement lol. Had to rip down part of kitchen ceiling to repair hot line. Gonna leave it open for the winter to hopefully get them some warm air from the woodstove

View attachment 306006 View attachment 306007 View attachment 306008 View attachment 306009 View attachment 306010
Been there, done that too! Aside from tearing out the ceiling. A previous remodeler ran water and drain lines in an exterior wall. Had water lines and the drain freeze. Also have had snow blowing into the house. After 9 years, have gotten most of the main issues resolved.

Reactions: Vg3200p
3F here this morning, with windchill near -20F. Gotta go fill the wood wagon, as it's near enough empty that we won't make it thru Christmas day, if I don't.

Glad nothing froze here, so far as I have found. This isn't our record cold, I've seen -5F and -6F here a few times, but it's awful cold.

Meanwhile, @Poindexter is laughing at us, wishing he would get a heat wave like this.

Meanwhile, @Poindexter is laughing at us, wishing he would get a heat wave like this.
NO, not laughing. On the one hand minus 40 is by God cold. It is warm enough that exposed flesh does not freeze instantly, but you got have a plan at -40.

The other hand is my summers are getting hotter and hotter. I have wanted a solar powered mini split for some summertime relief for a couple years now but I don't know of a unit I can leave hanging on an exterior wall over my winter.

At the end of the day, weather you are equipped for is just weather. Weather you are not equipped for is a pain in the neck.

Reactions: Ashful and Vg3200p
Well, we had +3°F here this morning, with a wicked wind chill quoted around -20° ± 5°F, depending on which source you believed. Living in a stone house, unless the temperature really holds this low for several days, the change in heat demand isn't so dramatic. Our antique windows are so frosted on the 3rd floor (where we sleep) that you can't see anything at all out of them, but but's the only real noticeable change. The windows on the one floor above that and the two below are radiating a bit more than usual, but not a huge deal. I spent a few hours outside, not all that bad, other than my fingers getting cold quicker than usual. Key was wearing wind-proof gear, even more than the insulation value.

Being outside in this cold your right it's all about windproofing and keeping dry. Belive it or not I was sweating shoveling sidewalks at work on Friday night in -40 windchill

Reactions: Ashful
On to next big project. Turning downstairs bathroom into laundry room/pantry. I had suspected this part of the house was an add on as it is on a crawlspace. While rest of house is on a basement. But after finding an original looking window frame behind the shower I'm starting to think it's original. No idea why it's on a crawl. Nasty damp moldy mouse poop room. Everything comes out. Floor is rotten. Puddle from leaking tub in crawlspace. Deadline is March because new baby comes April. And I want wife to have washing machine by then so she don't have to go to the laundromat anymore. We also ordered a new stove today. After last colds snaps terrible temps in the house we knew we needed much bigger. Us stove co 3200 sqft one. Has a 5cbft firebox! We are running a 1.6 cbft stove now. We had some menards rebates and gift cards so cost us 1k out of pocket. Should be in mid janurary

20221227_094421.jpg 20221227_103606.jpg

Reactions: Gearhead660
Fun! Congrat's on the new baby. Each of ours came with similar renovation deadlines. I remember using a 2-stroke Stihl leafblower inside the house, just days before my wife delivered kid #2. Yeah, some of my renovations were pretty messy, as they can be when you start pulling apart mud-stacked masonry.

Obviously take special care with lead and asbestos with a preggo in the house, and try to get everything either out or encapsulated before the baby comes. We had one very unfortunate and upsetting lead issue here when my son was young, due to a painter I had hired coming in and doing a bunch of sanding while we were away at work. To make a long story short, it took us many weeks of daily re-vacuuming and re-washing every bit of cloth in the house, before all lead test strips finally showed clean. Bad times.

Ok after a few weeks break started back up on laundry room project. All major demo is done. This room was previously redone in 2013 I'm guessing cause that was the date on the shower insert. So romex is in here already that's good news. Bad news is shower has been leaking for God knows how long and had rotted one of the floor joist. I stepped on it and it snapped. Next step is to let these joists air out for a few days. Then sister in some 2x12s or 10s. Then brace the joists to the exterior wall studs. Because right now the joists just are nailed to the sill plate. Not even touching the wall.

20230112_150413.jpg 20230112_150429.jpg 20230112_150424.jpg

I guess you could classify mine as old
at least around where I live, It was Built
in 1860/61 Hand squared cedar logs
Really no more maintenance than a newer house
but I have been maintaining this place for 45 years
Windows, doors, lath and plaster removal, heating systems
wiring and plumbing, normal wear and tear.
Other than the lath no different than any house
But a lot more character than a new build

Reactions: Gearhead660
Has anyone ever owned a really old house or historic house before?
How's 1692 for you? I spent part of my childhood in a house owned by my family from 1692 until 1995. Is that "really old"?

For eastern PA, the OP's 102 year old house is not old. But slam that same house down on the west coast, and it stands out, a little more.

Pros/Cons?
The pros and cons are going to vary enormously with condition, location, budget, etc. The right old house in the right location, with lots of curb appeal, will generally increase in value quicker than aging new houses, in an area experiencing stability or net positive growth. The opposite can be true in areas experiencing negative growth. Most of the value of an old house is caught up in its curb appeal, so find a pretty one on a nice site, and you'll do well investing in its rehabilitation and maintenance. But of course too many are slammed right up against busy roads, or in what has become commercial districts, and watching owners pour their money and soul into these is just... sad.

As to actually living in one, you need to love the idea of it enough to overcome all of the obvious discomforts, effort, and expenses. Old houses can often (not always) be more expensive to maintain and heat, their layouts aren't always the most conducive to modern lifestyles, and they're often less comfortable throughout. Yes, lead paint and asbestos are issues. Yes, there is arsenic in that old wallpaper, that's now under six layers of lead paint. All real problems, so you'd better really get a serious emotional boost from living in an old house, to make it worth all that effort and headache.

Are really old houses hard to maintain?
First, let's clear up some confusion. What most people call "old houses" are actually modern houses, in terms of materials and construction. Anything built much after the early 1800's is basically modern construction. Portland cement came along in the 1820's, and changed home construction as radically as the internet changed our lives 30 years ago. It was invented and produced in England, so depending on how remote your American home was at the time of construction, it may have been still built using pre-Portland cements until the 1840's. But any Victorian era house, which people errantly call "very old", is actually a modern house, by that distinction.

So, are "really old houses" hard to maintain? Yes, if it's pre-Portland, it's a whole other level of maintenance. The bedding mortar in my stone walls is mud. Not slang "mud", as masons today call their Portland-based mortars, but literally mud dug up from the back yard. No Portland, no lime, it's just mud and sand. If an area of pointing or stucco fails, rain water can penetrate and wash out the bedding mortar, and the wall can fail. If you have a wet season, water can migrate up thru the wall, and cause bonding failures between paint and plaster, or even between plaster and stone. "Very old houses", meaning anything pre-Portland, require very careful and continuous maintenance.

But masonry houses with Portland-based cements are just the opposite, arguably even less maintenance than modern homes. What lasts longer than nicely pointed brickwork on a Victorian home? Not much.

How long will it stand?
I have stayed in inns that are over 1000 years old. Having already stood the test of 200 - 300 years, a very well built old house will never fall on its own, if it's maintained. The only thing that brings these old houses down is fire, earthquake, wars, or neglect. And by neglect, I mean gross neglect, as in leaving the house without a roof for a decade.

Can houses stay up for that long?
They already have!

Or is it slowly rotting?
You notice all my discuss above is about masonry homes, as that's what the old homes in eastern PA tend to be. Our carriage barns are generally timber-framed, as well as the upper stories of our bank barns, and I've owned more than a few of each. But you don't find very old wood houses, in this part of the country, they've either rotted, burned, or been taken down for other reasons.

That said, my old window frames and sills are indeed slowly rotting. I've replaced or repaired about a dozen of the 26 oldest (1770's) windows in this house. We've kept the original sash, just building new frames to reinstall the old sash. Nearly all of the old frames I've removed for replacement are not original to the age of the house, it's clear someone replaced them before me, most appearing to have been done about 120 years ago.

What's amusing is that our most badly rotten windows are not those from the 1730's or 1770's, but all of the ones installed in the 1990's addition. I'm looking at replacing all of our 1990's windows in the next year or two, but the 1730's and 1770's stuff is holding up better.

Also, do they have a lot of bad qualities like lead paint or asbestos?
It's pretty uncommon to find asbestos today, as that was outlawed so many years ago (1970's?), and the houses have generally passed through so many owners, inspections, and renovations in that time. The last time I saw asbestos in any of the 40-odd old homes my family owned, was ca.1990.

But lead paint is going to be found in nearly EVERY home built before 1976, not just very old ones. It's not a problem until you start sanding down woodwork, and creating lead dust. Encapsulated in modern paint, it's totally benign. Heck, even chips from chipped paint is fairly benign, it's really only a serious hazard when made into a dust fine enough to be respirated.

Are they hard to repair or update as far as heating, cooling, windows, etc.
I already hit on the windows. Unfortunately, most owners of old houses have been tricked into replacing their high-quality and beautiful original windows with ugly and cheap replacements. So, instead of rebuilding original windows that might last 120 years between rebuild cycles, they replace them with Andersen or Pella garbage that rots or fails after 30 years. Ignorance.

Heating costs are a huge and challenging subject, as old masonry homes can't be treated like a modern home, in terms of "R-value" math. Thick stone walls create a constant thermal mass, so "R-value" thinking goes out the window. But, stone houses are noticeably less drafty than modern framed houses, as getting a draft through 20 inches of stone is neigh-on impossible. Also, old single pain windows with a 4" gap between the sash and a traditional storm window performs much better, in terms of radiation, than any modern multi-pane window with 5mm air gaps. This subject really requires a whole separate thread of its own, but let's just say that if you're worried about heating costs, you should redirect that worry toward maintenance and renovation costs. Heating is damn near free, when compared to the cost of renovation.

Please share all your experiences good or bad. I am considering a really old house, but have never known anyone that owned one before. Just don't want to fall into a money pit, although I am aware that can happen with any house. Thanks.
What's "really old"? What's the construction type? Whether or not it's a money pit depends entirely on condition, and what prior owners have done to it.