12/12 pitch roof and 2' / 10' rule for the chimney above the roof line with a wood burning brick

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dantran

Jan 6, 2011
NJ
I am building a wood burning brick oven in our new home and have a 12/12 pitch roof. I planned on coming out of the roof on the lower end of the house, this would mean for every foot I would have to go up 1 foot to stay the same distance away from the roof with the chimney. So, in order to stay 10' away and 2' above the highest peak as per code, I would need to go approximately 12' above the roof departure correct? If I used a solid fuel power vent would this help me with the NFPA 211 codes or not? am I stuck??? I would hate to have 12' stainless stack coming out of my now clean roof line. Any ideas and help are GREATLY appreciated!!!
Thanks,
Dan

Do not power vent the unit. What if you have a nice fire going and the power goes out ? It sounds like you are correct with the height that would be the min.

dantran said:
I am building a wood burning brick oven in our new home and have a 12/12 pitch roof. I planned on coming out of the roof on the lower end of the house, this would mean for every foot I would have to go up 1 foot to stay the same distance away from the roof with the chimney. So, in order to stay 10' away and 2' above the highest peak as per code, I would need to go approximately 12' above the roof departure correct? If I used a solid fuel power vent would this help me with the NFPA 211 codes or not? am I stuck??? I would hate to have 12' stainless stack coming out of my now clean roof line. Any ideas and help are GREATLY appreciated!!!
Thanks,
Dan

I had the same challenge. I ended up getting creative to penetrate the roof closer to the peak. And still needed an 8ft stack. And had to use a support bracket.

Build a fake dormer, like an oversize cricket.

LLigetfa said:
Build a fake dormer, like an oversize cricket.

Clever!

Alternatively, build an airtight, insulated chase, in whatever style and cladding you like (do the same if you go with the dormer idea). It would enhance both aesthetics and flue performance. That's what I'm planning.

That steep roofline with a chimney? I bet it'd look great.

Don't forget to mount a smoke webcam. :)

RenovationGeorge said:
Alternatively, build an airtight, insulated chase, in whatever style and cladding you like
IMHO that would look just as bad as the pipe sticking up. There is a house I drive by on my way to work like that. They have an enclosed chase for their chimney pipe on the bottom side of the roof-slope. The chase sticks up about 8' and the pipe another foot or so. It looks terrible in my opinion.

Try the best you can to get the pipe out the roof near the peak. I realize that it isn't always practical, but do your best.

I agree, 12ft of pipe or chased pipe would not look great. What is the ceiling height in this area? Is it open or capped off at 8-9ft? If it's open, perhaps a diagonal offset flue could be put in using a pair of 45's to get the pipe closer to the peak. Or, if this is a new home, is the kitchen in yet? If not, can the layout be reconfigured to get the masonry more toward the middle of the house?

Thanks everyone! I am going to spend the extra $1K and run it up inbetween the cathedral ceiling and roof to come out next to the peak which will also be directly inline with my Napoleon 3000Z. I will take picks when all is done..
Thanks again, and GREAT community! Oh, and stand by as I will most likely be asking more questions or opinions!!!

I love it when a plan comes together! (lighting cigar)

Yes, photos please. Standing by. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.