12 to 20 inches along the New England coast with winds

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

peakbagger

Minister of Fire
Jul 11, 2008
Northern NH
Looks like a Noreastah. I should be on the fringe up in Northern NH but folks down along the coast are going to see a lot of fluff. No doubt with the predicted winds there will be power outages. I guess winter is finally kicking in after a later than normal start.

Reactions: thewoodlands
NWS is forecasting 18-24" for some regions of MA. My SIL lives on the coast and is not going to be happy.

Reactions: thewoodlands
12-18" here predicted. Gusts of 74-90 mph. Significant beach erosion on the North Shore here expected.

They warn of "regional outages" rather than isolated ones.

Glad I can stay home; preparations all done. Once safety is there (barring a tree on my home), it's just a time to enjoy. Either outside with the kids, or warm inside.

Glad to have a stove.

Here they say "up to 3 ft locally" - but I have never seen such predictions happen (other than wind drifts).
Ah well, suffice to say "it'll be enough"

My guess is the "up to 40inch" in media is now in the "scare mode" to keep the foolish folks off the roads tomorrow.

Me thinks "foolish" will be defined tomorrow as being equal to "being on the road" (except for first responders, including linesmen etc).
So the smart people will be home, and the foolish ones on the road - by definition ::-)

Worst since we've been in MA was a January 2015 blizzard. Hudson, a neighboring town, reported 36".

...MASSACHUSETTS...

AUBURN 36.0
HUDSON 36.0
LUNENBURG 36.0
CLINTON 34.1
ACTON 34.0
LITTLETON 34.0
CHELMSFORD 33.8
FRAMINGHAM 33.5
DRACUT 33.0
WESTFORD 33.0
TYNGSBORO 32.5
WORCESTER 32.0
METHUEN 31.5
SOUTH BOSTON 31.0

Here's NECN with the 24+.

Over the past two days our forecast for Metrowest Boston went from 5 – 8 … 8 – 12 … 12 – 18 … 18 – 24 and now 24+ with locally 40”. What the hell?

Reactions: stoveliker
WCVB_Web_Snowfall.jpg

What I understand is that a 50 mile change in path will result in such changes. The precise path ("the cone" in hurricane language) does always change a bit in more precise updates closer to ETA.

That made my day. Thank you.

18" - 24" + here in the Hollow.

Locked & loaded here.

Reactions: vinny11950
Cold and snowy south & east of us but we sure as heck are not going to miss the cold here..........

Stay safe and warm everyone... I've got about 4", but only expect a measly 8". My two siblings in New England are gonna get buried. And my Sis works for the power co, and will be on storm duty.

What do you do with all the toilet paper and batteries ????????

Batteries - there's another thread where it was mentioned that someone burns them in a stove ... And let me explain what toilet paper is used for .... Hm. Maybe not.
;-)

Hard to say how much we got so far; drifts are up to 5 ft, and it's really powdery so there are some places around walls on paved surfaces that are bare. I do think we are near a foot here.

I'm going to have to tell the kids that it's unlikely to be good fort building snow. More of a sledding type.

Reactions: rottiman
Hunker down and make a few meals out of all that milk bread and eggs you bought!!!

::-)

Those people don't think.
If the power goes out, most can't prepare the eggs. The milk can go bad, and the bread alone is not that nice (though I have had times where that was all I could afford...)

Yes, with a stove one can prepare the eggs, milk can go outside etc. But there are other foods that are more useful in outage times imo.

My guess is a lot of folks will be asking about Ice Jams on roofs this week. Lots of snow and then a warm up will lead to frozen gutters, big icicles and then roof leaks.

I keep stocked up on things anyway. So if a storm is coming it’s just another day. I just make sure I’m not low on gas for the snowblower. Also it seems like preparing for a storm is the best way to make sure we won’t get anything significant.

Reactions: rottiman
checked the trampoline; due to the safety net around it it's like a rain gauge for snow.
I guess about 10-11" on average so far. Temp is 24 and falling.

No sense shoveling this; powdery stuff will blow right back. Bare places even on the grass, and snow mountain ranges of 3-4' high running criss cross over my property. Good thing is that when the wind stops, it'll be easy to handle because it's not wet and won't get wet with falling temps. Maybe even use a leaf blower to clean areas.

Last edited: