15 hour burn

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Terrific news!! You're lucky, my wife says I am the problem. :lol:
Ed

Backwoods Savage said:
This morning the wife is up and her fiesty self again. I'm so happy they were able to fix the problem. Now I have to be careful to make sure she does not overdo things.

Nice to hear Dennis.

zap

colebrookman said:
Terrific news!! You're lucky, my wife says I am the problem. :lol:
Ed

Ed, she does attempt that on occasion so I have to set things straight.

Thanks Zap.

Dennis do you mean that you jump even higher when she speaks? My wife writes my "to do" list on toilet paper because it's so long, fortunately I'm into recycling.
Ed

No Ed. When I holler Jump, on the way up she asks, "How high?" All joking aside, we've got along pretty well now for 49 years. Also, she does read much of this forum so she knows what I write. Mostly just laughs.

49 years is so great. Unfortunately it looks like we will see fewer and fewer long term marriages. Be safe.
Ed

Ed, I still feel that is one of the country's big problems.

Yup lack of family, lack of community and lack of duty to our country and I don't mean just serving in the armed forces. Not to say that there are not exceptions. Course that's an Ash Can topic with plenty of opinions but no easy or even hard answers. Didn't Socrates say the world is going to hell in a handbasket or maybe it was Red Skeleton.
Ed

Take care of your wife Dennis . . . and wish her a speedy recovery . . . although it sounds as though she is already on the rebound.

On that subject: I see a lot of young people, many who experienced divorce in their childhood/youth, who are in long term relationships - I'm talking 5 - even 15 years for those who met in high school. A lot of them wait until they are ready to have children, then marry. They know each other very well, tend to be very happy, and seem to be loving raising a family. Suspect many of them strongly want peace and security for their children. Hard on traditional parents, who'd love to see their kids legalize everything and get on with having children. But they seem to be doing really well, and it's good to see. They also tend to be really considerate of and devoted to each other. My 2cents.

Glad to hear she's home. Keep her warm. :)

What were you burning that lasted 15 hours in the FV? I'm searching for the magic combo...the room's cooling off while the stovetop is still at 400, hate to reload and lose all the energy that the stove has produced but...it's getting cold in here!

Got a 24+ hour burn out of my High Valley the other day and did not even try to pack it entirely full either, but was 90% full.

All good to hear Dennis.
I bet you eat better when Judy is home :)
You two make a good team, glad she's back to "ornery" :)

mfglickman said:
Glad to hear she's home. Keep her warm. :)

What were you burning that lasted 15 hours in the FV? I'm searching for the magic combo...the room's cooling off while the stovetop is still at 400, hate to reload and lose all the energy that the stove has produced but...it's getting cold in here!

Mary, because that post was over 4 months ago I can't say for absolute certain but it was probably ash.

Reload at 400 if you need the heat. It won't hurt. However, I would suggest when the stove top gets to maybe around 450 that you open the draft to full open. The reason for this is to help burn down the coals. Otherwise you will soon end up with a firebox half full of hot coals and not enough room for the wood. This is how we run the stove when we need maximum heat and it works very well. Do not be concerned about sending too much heat up the chimney at that point because it isn't going to happen. The flue temperature may rise a bit but not much so you will still reap the benefits of the heat while burning down the coals.

With this new Rangeley i got a 72 hr burn,on my frikkin knuckles. :red:

Backwoods Savage said:
When I got home last night it felt a bit cool. The weather was in the mid 40's and really windy with some rain. Around 7:30-8:00 I started a fire in the Fireview and went to bed as I was really beat. The house was toasty this morning and I went to pick my wife up from the hospital. We got home just a short time ago and I asked if she was comfortable. Naturally it is better than the hospital was. That room she was in was cold! Anyway, my wife said if we could keep it this warm she would like it. So, I put in 4 small splits and in about 10 minutes we engaged the cat and turned the draft to 1 (scale of 1-4).

So, that means we went over 15 hours on last night's wood before adding more wood. I think we could have gone much longer but with her condition I wanted to assure she stays toasty warm. And yes, she is doing just fine.

Dennis,
So good to hear about Judy. A whole lot of thoughts from your friends on this thread for both of you.

15 hour burn! Pretty darn good. Is this with a new SS cat (replacement from Woodstock) that you put in? Will be interested in the future performance if it is. Especially with the way you keep track of things. I'm still not convinced that they are better than ceramic, only wish I could speak from my own experience with one.
Take care

Tim, that post was made in October so it was soon after we put in the new SS cat. I'm not totally convinced yet but only because we have not had the SS as long as the ceramic. Only time will prove which is better in that sense. I do know that I really like it when I flip that lever and the cat starts turning red almost immediately.

Dennis,

Glad Judy is home and doing better. :)

Stay warm....
Hiram

Status
Not open for further replies.