1920's Fireplace Info

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

609smst

Nov 30, 2006
I hope someone can help me learn a little more about the fireplace in a 1925 home that I recently purchased.

The fireplace is shallow and entirely tiled inside and out with a glazed tile that is similar to what I have seen in other homes of this period. There is no damper or manufactured opening into the flue above. A gas line and relatively new vent free log set was added by a previous owner and someone broke a small hole in the tile where traditionally the damper would be located presumably for some venting. Since this fireplace is shallow and the entire firebox tiled, I wondered if this was ever designed to be functional. If the tile is original to the house which it appears it could be, then it does not look like any gas heater or other insert was ever installed in it.

Any help would be appreciated in learning about the design of the fireplace. I would like to either install a quality gas log set or a small free standing stove that could be vented up through the firebox either utilizing the chimney or direct exterior venting.

I apologize if the question has been dealt with before. I'm new to the site and tried to search for similar topics. Thanks!

Sounds like a fireplace that has been disabled from one of its many owners. the fire box itself s sounds like it is a rumford style fireplace

I agree with the last statement entirely. If you were to remove the tiles you'd probably find some nice brick work behind them. A rumsford style fireplace is narrow, tall and has angular walls. Still, if you intend to refurbish and re-use the fireplace I'd have a professional come take a look. My 2 cents.

I suppose that its possible the fireplace was closed up, I really didn't think about that. The overall dimensions of the firebox are very small. Not very tall with arched opening. Probably too small for Rumsford unless closed in when tiled over. Thanks for the replies!

perhaps before you start tearing and doing dameage it would be worth borrowing or rentinag a device, sonic or other, to probe for hollow area behind tile.
It may tell you alot.
I already found an entire room doing a remodel on an old home once. Owner lost the bet and let me keep everything we found in ther. Quite a lot too.

Thanks for the reply. I'll have to do some poking around to see if things have been changed over the years. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.