1962 fireplace - Sealing cracks to floor

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

donut_love

Dec 9, 2017
Portland, OR
Hi crew - Just moved into a "new" house, a 1962 ranch, with two brick fireplaces. I've never had a fireplace before, so trying to learn as much as I can before burning.

1. The previous owners had some type of white sealant strip from the brick to the floor, preventing the draft up from the crawlspace. Is this typically a silicone caulk, sanded grout, or something completely different? I've asked a lot of people, and received a lot of different answers - Decided to come to the experts. Also found a small crack between the front and back fireplaces.

2. The living room fireplace has NEVER been used before...They staged a fake fire in the listing photos! The sellers (Original family) said they never felt the need to have a fire, but something smells fishy to me. Will investigate.

Thanks

Attachments

• home-design-1.jpg
    home-design-1.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 268
  • IMG_9636.JPG
    IMG_9636.JPG
    129 KB · Views: 268
  • IMG_0997.JPG
    IMG_0997.JPG
    133.2 KB · Views: 298
  • IMG_0996.JPG