1979 Resolute III has a hole in fireback

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Clairee

Nov 18, 2013
Nova Scotia
There were a couple of cracks in the fireback which turned into a 2 1/2" - 3" triangular opening in the fireback. Other than that it's in great shape. I was surprised to find the stove still works pretty well but so far there have only been a few nights where the temperature was around 23 degrees.

Unfortunately I'm not able to replace the fireback or get it fixed so I'd like to get some information on how this affects the overall operation of the stove and and opinions on continuing to use it.

Thanks,
Clairee

Why not use come refractory / furnace cement to patch the cracks? Cost - about $6

Why not use come refractory / furnace cement to patch the cracks? Cost - about $6
Yeah I tried that, I was able to cover the cracks but a triangular piece broke and fell out leaving an open space (hole). The hole is too big to just cover with cement and I can't cement the piece back in because it keeps falling into the space behind the fireback (no way to hold it in place). I tried cementing a firebrick 'over' the hole but that didn't last. So my problem is I can't figure out a way to "fill in" or cover the hole.

Anyway you could take a picture of what you are trying to fix?

There were a couple of cracks in the fireback which turned into a 2 1/2" - 3" triangular opening in the fireback. Other than that it's in great shape. I was surprised to find the stove still works pretty well but so far there have only been a few nights where the temperature was around 23 degrees.

Unfortunately I'm not able to replace the fireback or get it fixed so I'd like to get some information on how this affects the overall operation of the stove and and opinions on continuing to use it.

Thanks,
Clairee
Hi Clairee.

I hope that you reconsider and figure out how to afford a new stove or new fireback. What you describe is probably a catastrophic failure. No one will be able to predict what will happen if you try to use your stove as is. Best case scenario is your secondary burning chamber fills up with ash and it goes out when you shut the damper.

Beg, borrow, or whatever to get it fixed or replaced.

I've used that model of stove for many years. I'm familiar with it. You have to have a clear and functioning secondary burning chamber for it to function with the damper closed. And you can't just leave the damper open or you'll destroy the stove.

Reactions: Sodbuster
Ed may be right, or the big hole might just make it easier to clean! Seriously, the part is under $100.00, and it's just not tat terrible a job to replace it. Nobody can do this for you? Nobody?

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
Remove the upper fireback/damper assy., then remove left and right inserts, voila!
Great tips, defiant. Where would Clairee find said part?

Also, can this be done without taking the top off? Having never disassembled one, but having one in need of new gasketing all around, I imagined the job to be more daunting.

Thanks everyone for your replies. That's what I needed: advice/opinions from people who know more about these old Resolute stoves than I do.

I have health issues, sick husband to take care of & there's no one else who can help with this stuff so it's up to me. I've used various Vermont Castings stoves for 40 years and can do the basic maintenance and (cement) patch-ups but I'm not able to take them apart or rebuild etc. even if I had the time or energy. Although there's a guy who could do the work there's nowhere around here to get ANY parts and shipping makes the cost way too expensive.

As far as how the hole affects the operation of the stove ED 3000 who knows this model well said "You have to have a clear and functioning secondary burning chamber for it to function with the damper closed. And you can't just leave the damper open or you'll destroy the stove." I've been using it as normal (damper closed when it reaches proper temperature ) and so far it appears to be working the same as it did before the hole.

I was trying to figure out if I could continue to use the stove. ED 3000 makes it clear he feels it's unsafe.

All opinions are welcome and much appreciated :)
C

Thanks everyone for your replies. That's what I needed: advice/opinions from people who know more about these old Resolute stoves than I do.

I have health issues, sick husband to take care of & there's no one else who can help with this stuff so it's up to me. I've used various Vermont Castings stoves for 40 years and can do the basic maintenance and (cement) patch-ups but I'm not able to take them apart or rebuild etc. even if I had the time or energy. Although there's a guy who could do the work there's nowhere around here to get ANY parts and shipping makes the cost way too expensive.

As far as how the hole affects the operation of the stove ED 3000 who knows this model well said "You have to have a clear and functioning secondary burning chamber for it to function with the damper closed. And you can't just leave the damper open or you'll destroy the stove." I've been using it as normal (damper closed when it reaches proper temperature ) and so far it appears to be working the same as it did before the hole.

I was trying to figure out if I could continue to use the stove. ED 3000 makes it clear he feels it's unsafe.

All opinions are welcome and much appreciated :)
C

If that gaping maw plugs with ash, you'll understand.

A tire with a pinhole isn't a problem, until you have a flat.

Believe the opinion you want. But, if you weren't worried, you'd not have asked. And, it's not anyone else's problem but yours if it fails.

ED 3000,
Please know I wasn't questioning your advice/opinion. I now understand how the hole affects the way the Resolute functions and what the dangers are which is what I needed in order to make an informed decision. You're right. I have to get another stove installed soon for the real winter weather heating. All I meant was that all opinions/advice are welcome and appreciated.
I have a line on a Napoleon stove and will be back with some questions about that model.
C

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
This would be a patch, what if you cut a piece of hardware cloth/ metal screen material slightly bigger than hole, place it in the whole then furnace cemented that. No idea if this would work, hold up, or cause your house to burn down, thought I'd mention it. Good luck

ED 3000,
Please know I wasn't questioning your advice/opinion. I now understand how the hole affects the way the Resolute functions and what the dangers are which is what I needed in order to make an informed decision. You're right. I have to get another stove installed soon for the real winter weather heating. All I meant was that all opinions/advice are welcome and appreciated.
I have a line on a Napoleon stove and will be back with some questions about that model.
C
Thanks Clairee. Appreciate the reply. I wish there was some way to get you that part that defiant3 referred to. $100 to get that beautiful old Resolute back in shape would be a bargain, assuming it is a diy level fix. Hopefully he gets back for further comment.

We are a determined lot here, it's not easy to heat with wood. Admire your efforts in the face of the adversity you described.

I bet if you vacuumed the ash out of that hole periodically, it'd be ok to use until your final solution is figured out.

This would be a patch, what if you cut a piece of hardware cloth/ metal screen material slightly bigger than hole, place it in the whole then furnace cemented that. No idea if this would work, hold up, or cause your house to burn down, thought I'd mention it. Good luck

**Thanks Rob - great idea! Worth a try to hold me over until I can get things sorted out.

Thanks Clairee. Appreciate the reply. I wish there was some way to get you that part that defiant3 referred to. $100 to get that beautiful old Resolute back in shape would be a bargain

**I really wish I could do that. It's such a great old stove and otherwise in good shape.

We are a determined lot here, it's not easy to heat with wood.

**That's for sure - a LOT of work. But for me there's nothing like wood heat. When my husband was well he took care of the tedious chores that I detest (cleaning the chimney and stove pipe etc.) and I didn't mind my chores of replacing the gaskets and doing the stove maintenance. And I enjoyed putting in the wood in my perfectly-piled rows ;-)

Admire your efforts in the face of the adversity you described.

**Thanks for the kind words/encouragement. But at this point I don't really have a choice - this old house is in rough shape now and unless the electric heat runs at full blast constantly, besides the fact that the cost is outrageous it just doesn't keep the house warm enough. And I HATE being cold!

I bet if you vacuumed the ash out of that hole periodically, it'd be ok to use until your final solution is figured out.

**I'm keeping a close eye on it, and I'm going to try Rob's patch idea too. As soon as I have the time I know I have to replace the Resolute with a 'practical' stove (most likely the Napoleon) but I'm not looking forward to it or to having to figure out how to operate another kind of stove after a lifetime with VC.

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to help. This website/forum is an invaluable resource for me.
~Clairee

i wonder what ever happened with clairee?