1979 VC resolute.....Is it an upgrade from Intrepid 1?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Idomeneus

Sep 15, 2011
Upstate NY
Hi all,

I currently have a VC Intrepid I from the 1980's. It is in great shape but it is too small. Last year was our first year using it and we were underwhelmed.

Anyway, we are looking to sell the intrepid and replace it. Money is an issue as I don't really want to spend more that $500-600. I have seen several Resolutes for sale including a really nice one from 1979. I know they are not big stoves but I am wondering if this would seem like an upgrade from the intrepid or would heat production be comparable?
Should I try for an Encore or a larger Jotul? This is just supplemental heat for a large open living room and adjoining rooms. Not meant to heat a whole house.

Thanks for the input.

Yes, it definitely will be an upgrade. If the stove is in great condition (no cracks or warped parts, thermostat working) then you should be happier with the Resolute I. It was a fine stove. How large an area are you trying to heat? How high is the ceiling?

If the space is large you might also keep an eye out for a great condition Vigilant or Jotul 8 too. I would not look at a Resolute Acclaim and would be careful looking at the Encores.

your space must be large. if it is just one room that stove should have done it. if you have a large room with large open doorways it going to try to heat the space outside those open doorways also.

It is a very open first floor. Large open room leading to open dining room, open family room , and open kitchen. Stairs to second floor are also in that room.

Remember that all Resolutes (before they added the Acclaim to the name) said 1979, but the first one didn't roll out until 1980. The vintage can be most easily figured out by the door style and fireback. If it has the drop down 'oven-style' door it was a Resolute I or II (1980-84), if equipped with a two door front it is a Resolute III (from 1984 or later).

It is a very open first floor. Large open room leading to open dining room, open family room , and open kitchen. Stairs to second floor are also in that room.
how many square foot are you looking at?

Thanks. Why not the encore? Size or known problems?
When EPA phase 2 requirements rolled in VC met the challenge by adopting their designs with a rear burning downdraft design that relied on a refractory assembly that proved a weak link. This assembly didn't stand up well to 24/7 burning. It often needed replacement in 2-3 years. If not caught in time other parts started to fail. The Intrepid I, Resolute I to III, Vigilant and Defiant are original VC line that they built their reputation on. All were good stoves.

There is an Encore 2550 that is a catalytic stove. This design stood up a bit better, but the refractory assembly usually will need a rebuild after about 5-10 years.

There are modern, good looking stoves that may be a better fit in the long run for your large space. They will burn cleaner and use less fuel.

To be fair, the updated Intrepid II Catalytic Stove was probably the most bullet-proof stove that VC produced in the 15-20 years post EPA Phase 2. Though that was more likely due to it's small firebox size making it extremely difficult to load up enough wood load to create those potential overfire situations which would often break down the refractory assembly more quickly.

Ok guys, I just got the chance at a totally redone jotul 8. 1987 non-cat. I can trade my intrepid plus a little cash for it. Sounds like a great deal right? Jotul 8 would def. be an upgrade.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Having owned both, and the Resolute being the only one I own now...I'm biased. The Intrepid is a good stove, but The Resolute is a stalwart stove. If you want to do one room, the Intrepid is a good stove, but if you want to warm the house, The Resolute. It does it in spades.

The Jotul 8 was a clean and simple design. Easy to run and eye pleasing. The heat cycle tended to be peaky, but predictable. The The original Resolutes were also good looking, but more complex and sophisticated. For a small space they were excellent heaters. The thermostatic damper worked well at keeping the heat output even over a longer period of time. I have a bias to the Resolute. It was the first new stove we bought in 1980 and it kept us warm for several winters.