2-3" gap between brick and fire box

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

somewhere01

Jan 19, 2021
dallas
Hi, I just built a new house and found a gap in the fireplace between the brick and the firebox. You can see the wood studs. I asked the builder and he said it is within code. My inspector said it could burn the house down.

IMG_1371.jpg IMG_1370.jpg

Reactions: moresnow
You're builder is a complete and udder fool... I can't even as a dissident of most normal safety precautions fathom how one could claim this is "OK"!

Reactions: marty319
Wow, I showed the pic of the framing to my cat and she laughed. I can't even fathom that. I'd be curious how they fix it.

I hate to say it but this would give me a ton of concern over what else was “built to code” in that home