2 borometric dampers?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
yeah, sampling the draft where you did it won't tell you what the furnace is seeing.

I have a 32'+ 6" stainless chimney inside the house. I have a BD on my Kuuma and in 20° weather I have to set the slider to the max weight AND also adjust my manual damper to get my draft down to 0.06". See video below. In the video I have my BD set at 6, showing the draft while adjusting my manual one to tame down the draft. This was recorded tonight, it's 20° outside. When it gets colder my draft obviously goes even higher.

Yes, the manometer is calibrated. You can see my copper tubing near the collar.

Last edited:
i moved the manometer today and fired the furnace back up with the damper set all the way out it holds at .04 which is fine but that is the max i would of thought it would of been lower

With a 15' chimney, you shouldn't need the manometer. Your minimum draft required is .04" and the max is .06" water. It may spike when the damper is open, but will drop once the damper closes and flue temps go down.

Good idea to check it with a manometer though at initial setup - there's likely lots of cases where heating units aren't seeing the proper draft. Although with a chimney that size, it likely wouldn't be out much.

I've still got mine mounted and attached 2 years later - but I'm getting to where I don't pay much attention to it any more.

Good idea to check it with a manometer though at initial setup - there's likely lots of cases where heating units aren't seeing the proper draft. Although with a chimney that size, it likely wouldn't be out much.

I've still got mine mounted and attached 2 years later - but I'm getting to where I don't pay much attention to it any more.

I agree. I had mine attached and mounted before I had my first fire. I considered it part of my install and the company who installed my new chimney also recommended I monitor my draft. Glad I have it, as I'd be running 0.09"+ if I just blindly set my BD at the recommended setting and went with it.

the caddy is running like clock work i cant believe how cool the pipe with with a barometric damper its getting me nervous

yep, it's crazy. My single wall stove pipe, at the collar upstream from the BD, hardly ever exceeds 200°, it's normally around the 180ish mark. If it does exceed 200° it's because I temporarily induced it by max draft and purposely heating it up from starting a fire in a cold furnace. It's around the 150ish area downstream of the BD. While the face of my firebox is 600°-800°, depending on where I have the level of burn set.

Status
Not open for further replies.