2 Fireplaces in the house and when I use one, the other one smokes!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sandman512

Aug 10, 2010
NY
I'll try to explain this. My home has two fireplaces, one on the first floor and one on the second. They are pretty much lined up. So, when we have a fire in the bottom(den) fireplace, smoke will come out of the UPPER fireplace box. So, I had the chimney company come and do a cleaning and inspection. So, they went on the roof and came to this conclusion. At the top of the chimney, the CROWN, all the flue are at the same height. Actually, the flues barely stick out of the crown, they are actually almost flush with the crown. They recommended extending the ne chimneys crown(the fireplace we use), and putting a cap on that one and the the other. Thoughts? Advice? THANKS!

sandman512 said:
I'll try to explain this. My home has two fireplaces, one on the first floor and one on the second. They are pretty much lined up. So, when we have a fire in the bottom(den) fireplace, smoke will come out of the UPPER fireplace box. So, I had the chimney company come and do a cleaning and inspection. So, they went on the roof and came to this conclusion. At the top of the chimney, the CROWN, all the flue are at the same height. Actually, the flues barely stick out of the crown, they are actually almost flush with the crown. They recommended extending the ne chimneys crown(the fireplace we use), and putting a cap on that one and the the other. Thoughts? Advice? THANKS!

There is a fix for that. Craig (Webmaster) has a product that will raise the height of one of the flues so smoke won't spill into the other flue. You need to do this, because carbon monoxide is also coming down that flue along with the smoke.

I've heard of that happening. I believe the working chimney has the draft and the non-working chimney acts as the fresh air fuel, more like a reverse draft. Green is right, down comes the gases and the CO 2. Maybe you can cut off the airflow to the non-working chimney in some way.
Good luck...

Are the top tiles full length or have they been cut to sit flush? If they have been cut, you could knock one out and put a full sized tile in its place to extend past the other tile. I prefer this method if feasible because it looks more natural than having and ugly metal flue extender coming up the top.

98dingo said:
Are the top tiles full length or have they been cut to sit flush? If they have been cut, you could knock one out and put a full sized tile in its place to extend past the other tile. I prefer this method if feasible because it looks more natural than having and ugly metal flue extender coming up the top.
To be honest, I cannot tell. I just spoke with the owner of the company and they are coming on Monday to extend the flue up and cap everything. It sounds like he is going to cement another piece of flue(clay I believe) on top. Excuse my ignorance if I am using the wrong terms. Funny thing, on the fireplace(not used) on the second floor, I have a fireplace pillow in the damper and I have a chimney damper on the top that can close it if off. The tech felt that the chimney damper on top was not airtight enough and air was getting through.

"I have a problem with reverse flow on my chimney when I crank down my wood stove in the basement. The smoke comes down the other flue for the fireplace even tho I have a damper cap on top" - Todd W, Chippewa, WI.

Sounds like the gasket on the top sealing damper is bad.

First, thanks for all the replies, I am truly grateful. So, I have my chimney company coming Monday to extend the liner and cap off the flue. Are prices allowed on this forum? I would like to make sure I am paying a "fair" price and not getting raked over the coals(pun implied). THANKS!

Update Alert! So the chimney company came.
1) Extend the flue 12 inches. We lit a fire. Nice burn
2) Inspected the upstairs fireplace and there was SOME SMOKE!
3) Removed damper on top of smoking fireplace and he SAW the smoke ROLLING down into the fireplace.
4) SEALED that damper! We don't use that fireplace upstairs...
He felt that the house we EXTREMELY TIGHT.
My questions, what can I do to relieve this TIGHT house.
THANKS!

Open fireplaces use massive amounts of air when compared to a modern stove. Rather than an extremely tight home, you are dealing with an extremely wasteful heating method. There really isn't much that will offset the air going up the chimney that won't make the point of having a fire irrelevant.

Best option is to get a stove or insert - they use less air than the average bathroom fan. If needed, they can be connected to an outside air supply to overcome pressure differentials like the one you described above. Do a quick search for "stack effect" here on the forum and you will get lots of info.

sandman512 said:
THANKS!

An outside air kit may be helpful here, or a fresh air intake near the fireplace. In the least, crack open a nearby window a 1/2" when burning.

Is there a whole house ventilation system installed? If not, how does the house get its make-up air?

BeGreen said:
sandman512 said:
THANKS!

An outside air kit may be helpful here, or a fresh air intake near the fireplace. In the least, crack open a nearby window a 1/2" when burning.

Is there a whole house ventilation system installed? If not, how does the house get its make-up air?
There is not a Whole House Vent. system in place, so I guess I could safely assume there is NO make up air. Advice? Thanks!

We had the same issue when we had a fire in the upstairs fireplace the smoke would get reversed drafted down the woodstove flue into our basement. We never saw smoke but you could smell it when you went down stairs.

My neighbor made me a custom stainless steel extension to our upstairs fire place flue of around 18" and we have never had a problem since.

The one thing though I might add is our upstairs fire place has an outside air intake and is sealed tight as it is sort of a masonary heater so when the wood stove is going no mater what the fireplace cannot let smoke into the upstairs unit as it is sealed tight as the doors are gasketed like a woodstove.

Status
Not open for further replies.