2 month chimney cleanin

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Butcher

Minister of Fire
Nov 2, 2011
N. central Ia.
It's been 2 months since I started burnin this 500 Oslo daily. Not 24/7 but enough that the furnace still aint kicked on. It was a nice day today and I got home before dark so I thought I might as well run a brush down the 18' of 7" clay liner and see what I come up with. Got alittle more than I'ld hoped to get in the cleanout. It wasnt really the coffee ground stuff youall talk about, more like cigerette ash.
2 month chimney cleanin

I'm thinkin that part of my problem was cuz until last week I was leavin the side door open till I had a good far goin in the stove and my flue temps were up there. I saw alot of smoke boilin around in the firebox when doing so. I have since modified my cold startups to leaving the side door open only until the kindlin catches afar and then shut her up and let the stove do it's thing. Gonna keep checkin things as time goes by. But, I guess iffn I gotta clean my chimney alittle more often and use way less wood and get way more heat outta this new stove, what the heck huh?

Thats definitely a decent amount for 2 months. I got less than that from all last winter when I cleaned in Spring. I usually leave my side door open for a minute or two tops then shut her up. Your flue temps should get higher with the door shut, not open. Good dry wood will go up pretty quick. What kind of wood are you burning and when was it split? My first year in the new house was a b!tch as far as burning went. Had to buy my wood and although the sellers all said it was seasoned, none of it was... had to leave the door open longer for starts, keep the air open most of the time, and was getting a decent amount of creosote.

Is your chimney an interior or exterior? My fireplace is an exterior and the old insert had stove pipe used as a liner. Being uninsulated with all those leaky joints in an exterior masonry chimney I always had a super dirty chimney. I would clean it twice a month and get nearly twice what you have.

You could always do what my neighbor does, just throw in some cardboard and let the chimney burn itself clean.

If you have money for an oslo you have money for an insulated liner. You won't believe the difference in how little accumulation there is and how differently (read better) the stove will behave.

I ran my modern stove one year into a 7 x 7 masonry chimney and thought it ran great. I didn't realize how poorly it really was operating until I lined that chimney.

pen

pen said:
If you have money for an oslo you have money for an insulated liner. You won't believe the difference in how little accumulation there is and how differently (read better) the stove will behave.

I ran my modern stove one year into a 7 x 7 masonry chimney and thought it ran great. I didn't realize how poorly it really was operating until I lined that chimney.

pen
So how do a guy stuff a liner down a 7x 7 chimney? I'm thinkin in my case with the chimney runnin right down the middle of the hooch and surounded by 6x8x16" block I might have a bit of a time of it.
As for havin $$ for an Oslo, well, it was a weak moment on my part. The wife said "That sure is a good lookin stove" and the rest is history. It'll take me 5 years to realize a return on this investment. If not more.

My mistake, misread your original post, I was thinking it was a 7x18 liner. BIG difference. A 7x7 is what I had and it still made a big difference. I fit a 6 in liner w/out insulation down, but my tiles were pretty darn straight.

5.5 in liner is another option. If the chimney is sound (which it sounds like it is) and interior, then you may be able to go w/ a poured in insulation or no insulation at all and add the poured in stuff later if you think you want it.

pen

The 5.5" un-insulated liners in both my chimneys, the evil outside chimneys, draft like Hoovers and made a world of difference. And were cheap with the self installs.

It's a fair amount of creosote . . . but I will wager that once you get going 24/7 things will improve . . . the wood will be a little more seasoned, your temps will be hotter longer and you'll get the hang of running your stove more efficiently . . . which should cut down some on the amount of creosote.

firefighterjake said:
It's a fair amount of creosote . . . but I will wager that once you get going 24/7 things will improve . . . the wood will be a little more seasoned, your temps will be hotter longer and you'll get the hang of running your stove more efficiently . . . which should cut down some on the amount of creosote.
Thats what I'm thinkin too. I have to many cold starts right now. And I'm pretty sure I was runnin the stove wrong on them first fars. The first load always seems to run cold till I get a good bed of coals then the second 1 runs great. I've changed the way I'm runnin the stove on them cold starts and can already tell a difference in the smoke commin outta the chimney and even the flyash on the glass. In about a week the wife and I will be laid off for the winter and will be at home 24/7 and then we will give ole Black Sabbath a real workout. Upgrading to this new fangled stove was a major investment for us and has been a BIG stress factor in my life since installin it. I would hate to think I laid out that kinda dough and then have it not work out. Thanks to all here for reading, and giving advise to me.

Butcher said:
firefighterjake said:
Thats what I'm thinkin too. I have to many cold starts right now. And I'm pretty sure I was runnin the stove wrong on them first fars. The first load always seems to run cold till I get a good bed of coals then the second 1 runs great. I've changed the way I'm runnin the stove on them cold starts and can already tell a difference in the smoke commin outta the chimney and even the flyash on the glass. In about a week the wife and I will be laid off for the winter and will be at home 24/7 and then we will give ole Black Sabbath a real workout. Upgrading to this new fangled stove was a major investment for us and has been a BIG stress factor in my life since installin it. I would hate to think I laid out that kinda dough and then have it not work out. Thanks to all here for reading, and giving advise to me.

Treat your Oslo right . . . and it will treat you right.

No need to stress . . .

You are correct . . . oftentimes the second load -- the reload -- is much better in terms of heat production and the time it takes to get things settled in and get your stove to "cruising speed."

Top down fires work well . . . sounds crazy . . . but they seem to get the stove up and running much quicker . . . I did have to experiment a bit at first though . . . had a few top down fires that just didn't work that well until I got the hang of them and then wowzers -- I was a convert.

Status
Not open for further replies.