2 questions about the Alderlea T5: Best Choice and Curing?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dochockin

We are considering purchasing a new stove. Our old Seefire 1600, that came with the house we bought this summer, is falling apart, broken baffle won't support fire bricks... I'm not even sure if we can find parts for a repair. We've decided to invest in a new rig that should last decades and help make our new house a comfy home. The Seefire is a steel stove with a thin sheet metal jacket around the sides and back. I think it's roughly the same size as the T5.

We are considering the T5. Our main room is ~900 sq ft, with another ~450 sq ft of bedrooms over half of the main room, and a cathedral ceiling (~16' peak) with a ceiling fan over the other half of the main room. The bedrooms open on to a balcony looking over the main room. The stove is under the cathedral ceiling section, at one end. The stairs up run behind the stove, and the wall of the stairs is faced in bricks. The stove doors point lengthwise, parallel to the balcony edge (not towards the short ceiling part of the main room, where we lounge).

The Seefire heats the main room fairly well, while the upstairs gets a bit too toasty. We've been keeping the bedroom doors closed most of the night otherwise they overheat and the main room doesn't heat up as well. The ceiling fan is being run on slow, pushing up. While winter has yet to really set in, it won't get that much colder here, being the PNW. Days will cool off, but last night's -1 C (30 F) is about as cold as usually gets. We do have electric baseboard backup if needed, but would rather not pay the big crazy prices.

As I understand it, the T5 should be a little more radiant and a little less convective. Is this stove a good choice for this type of set up and layout? Will it help with a better balance between upstairs and downstairs (given that heat rises of course...) due to more radiant heat to the main room?

My other question is about curing the T5. The manual states 2-3 fires to cure the stove. What size fires are needed? Can I light a fire at 10 am, let it burn out, light another at 2 pm and hope to have most of the curing done by evening so I can fire up the stove for the evening and not stink up the house? My concern here is how do we replace the stove and use it for heat the first few days while curing it at the same time... if only I'd realized the poor condition of our original stove this summer... but while I've used wood stoves plenty, this is my first experience as an 'owner'...

Yes, it's a good choice. However, the T5 will likely be more convective. It only radiates heat strongly from the front door. Curing fires are just to dry out the firebrick. They should be small, kindling only fires. Let die down and then do another. If you keep them small your suggested schedule should work. The stove will not bake in the paint with the curing fires. That will take getting the stove top up to 500F or higher with the first real fire.

Ok, now I'm a bit confused. Begreen, are you saying a T5 is more convective than a Seefire 1600s, or more convective than radiant? As I said, this is all new to me... In the past it's always been: "There's the stove, light it up"... And I grew up with a wood stove, but again it was just the one we had in the family room...

And as for curing I appreciate doing small burns to dry out the bricks. However, I'm more unsure about how I can fire up the new stove and not fill the house with stinky clouds of yuck. I'm not keen on opening all the windows for three nights running at 30 F...

Roughly how long and how many hot burns will it take to 'bake in the paint'? I've read about folks doing this outside, but I imagine that it wouldn't be good for the stove to do it in the middle of a rainstorm...

The Alderlea series of stoves are convective heaters. The thick cast iron jacket soaks up radiant heat like soapstone and slowly releases this heat via convection. You can break in the stove in one day. Yes, you will need to open the windows for the first real burn where the stove gets over 500F for the first time. It's not the end of the world. If you want you can do the break in fires outside with about 6' of pipe stuck in the stove. Just wait for the rains to end.

I wouldn't lose too much sleep over break in fires. It is what it is. You'll get the same thing with any stove.

You'll probably find the T5 more controllable, with more even temps thru the burn, and more comfortable room temps, provided you have dry wood for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.