2 wood stoves / 1 Flue remediation consulting

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

eonicman

Nov 25, 2021
Good day I recently bought a home in Vermont that has a setup of 2 wood-burning stoves vented to the same flue. I have attempted to hire local but everyone is booked until the spring. I found this Forum in looking for advice and have seen some very knowledgeable folks on here. I am wondering if any of the experts here would be interested in doing virtual consulting on this project. I am pretty sure that we can do it via Facetime or video conferencing and I will pay in advance of the call. I just need someone who has mitigated this issue to talk me through what needs to be done, appx. cost, etc.
Anyone interested can email me at [email protected] or comment here and we can set something up. Thanks in advance for any guidance or information anyone can provide. Happy Thanksgiving!

If you can post the particulars including a full chimney description (height, liner style, ID, etc.) and the final goals folks can provide some insight. Pictures are always welcome.

Reactions: eonicman
If you can post the particulars including a full chimney description (height, liner style, ID, etc.) and the final goals folks can provide some insight. Pictures are always welcome.

I have attached the photos of the stove. The chimney is clay lined(?)

What I want is to use both stoves at the same time.

6D411A50-812C-4FA4-8182-36AEC30CC70E.jpeg DD974F9E-1FD1-463E-9B42-CD7151A783A2.jpeg E28F5329-FD1D-4150-9950-EADA8F4A27D4.jpeg DE21DA48-E7DA-4751-AFF3-869DE4AB7C78.jpeg 95A6A163-C1FB-43ED-8D47-A81D765542F6.jpeg

That's a very wide base for just a chimney. Was there a fireplace at one point behind the Fireview? The chimney at top looks tiny for the large base and exterior bulge on the house. Do you know what the ID is of the chimney flue?

Yes, apparently 30 years ago the original fireplace & chimney was removed and a clay pipe chimney was installed with the two stoves.

Not exactly sure I understand this question; "Do you know what the ID is of the chimney flue?"

The inside diameter of the pipe that goes up the center of the chimney and vents burn gasses from the stoves.

Nice stoves.

Last edited:
Yes, apparently 30 years ago the original fireplace & chimney was removed and a clay pipe chimney was installed with the two stoves.

Not exactly sure I understand this question; "Do you know what the ID is of the chimney flue?"
What are the inside dimensions (ID) of the clay liner in the chimney?

Laser distance measuring device. $30bucks or so.

Or a measuring tape, and an accurate angle (inclination) measurement. (Measure distance from the stack,.measure angle to the top from that distance, do math).

Edit: apologies. Height was not asked. ID

Last edited:
Do you have a prior chimney sweep report? The tile ID should be written on it. Otherwise, this depends on the construction. If the tile size stayed consistent then you might be able to measure it through the cleanout. Or, pull the stove pipe and try to measure there.

I am wondering where the basement flue joins the upper? For that, a sweep would lower a camera down from the top. The thought being to open the exterior up at that location, remove the connection, patch the hole, and run an insulated liner down each one. This is assuming an outer casing of masonry. It may take removing the top cap to see how this was done.

Considering that we had our first snow storm yesterday it sounds like I'm waiting to spring anyway. I have a sweep happening next week and I'll gather more information. Any thoughts on alternating stoves during the course of the day?

One stove per chimney flue, judging by the cap it looks like you have (2) stoves into one chimney.
IDK whats behind the chase (over sized chase to smaller masonry block chimney?) don't know unless its looked at carefully.

For this winter chances are your only option will be to plug the crock for one or the other of the stoves and just use one of them. You should also have the rest of it checked for safety

I have a sweep happening next week and I'll gather more information.
That's good. Ask for a complete written report and consider paying the little extra for a video of the entire system.