20 ton Brave Splitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

awoodman

Dec 4, 2008
K.C. Missouri
I have had my splitter for 20 years and the Briggs engine went kaput.... So I got a Tecumseh 6 hp Power Sport OHV Kart engine from a friend and bolted it on....
The problem is the carburetor throttle or governer system on the Kart engine is not like the original engine that came with the splitter....The original engine would pick up rpm's under a load...But the cart engine you have to manually increase the rpm manually under a load.....I end up running the engine to death ...

Is there a small engine mechanic on this forum that knows if there is a different style carb that would work on this Tecumseh engine?.....

Most splitter engines run at a steady state that you manually set. There are a few (and it appears that yours was one), that has an idle down feature. Much less common than the steady state, set it and forget it. I am not familiar with Tecumseh having this feature on their engines, but I am not familiar with all of their variations.
If it were me...I would run it at a constant, comfortable rpm and fugitaboutit.

Upon further investigating there is govenor linkage and spring missing....
Throttle linkage is hooked directly to the carb.....

Status
Not open for further replies.