20 Year Old Heat n Glo 6000 XLS...What would you do?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

itzafugasi

Feb 24, 2017
NY
Hello,
I bought a home about 1 year ago that has a Heat n Glo 6000XLS gas fireplace, manufactured around 1997.
The unit works perfectly fine - I had it off for about 6 months, fired it up the other day without issue.
I plan to build a wall unit around the fireplace (built in bookshelves, mantel, etc). Right now it is a standalone fireplace, nothing at all around it.
Here's my concern.
Since the fireplace is approximately 20 years old, is it worth to spend money to build around it, or should I just budget for a new fireplace? Again, nothing mechanically wrong with it as far as I can tell. It will need some cosmetic improvements, but nothing major I can't do myself.
How long are gas fireplaces built to last? I plan on staying in the house for a long time, say 30 + years.
Would parts be readily available, assuming something fails?
I don't want to be in a situation where the fireplace fails, can't be repaired, and damage the wall unit to rip out the failed fireplace.
Thanks for your input.

Here's the manual:

http://downloads.hearthnhome.com/installManuals/446_982.PDF

As you can see, the unit is retired & some repair parts may be hard to find

If you have the DSI model, I would think about replacing it, or at least converting it to a standing pilot...

On the other hand, the newer units are more efficient, have a nicer presentation and a LOT more options.

The nice thing about replacement, if you stay with the Heat n Glo line, the new 6000 series units are the

same size - height, width & depth. Unfortunately, that older style venting is not compatible with the newer units.

HnG changed to their own brand many years after yours came out. Bottom line is going to be $$$.

If you finish the old one & THEN have to tear it out for replacement, it'll be more money & more work.

If you tear it out now, you will only have to finish it once.

HnG invented DV technology & those unit were built to last. My 6000TRXI has been pretty much problem free for 13 years.

I DO wish some of the newer options were retrofittable, but no, dang it.

It was top of the line when I installed it & it does its job.

Appreciate your input!
Forgive me if I'm mistaken with your terminology of the unit - I'm fairly new to gas fireplaces.
I believe my unit does have DSI (uses a piezo button to spark and light the pilot). Once the pilot is lit, it stays on (is that what you're referring to as a standing pilot?). It's connected to an electronic wall switch, with which I can then turn the fireplace on and off. The pilot always stays lit, but over the summer I turned if off to save some energy.

I guess I have some decisions to make - on one hand, since there's nothing wrong with the unit, I'd like to keep it.
On the other, since it's a bit older, it could fail tomorrow since I don't really know the history of it.
I might wait a year and decide..I don't have the finances at the moment to purchase a whole new system. Decisions, decisions.

No, DSI is Direct Spark Ignition/ It requires an older 120V module.
You have a standing pilot.
MUCH better system that'll work when the power is off.
The main thing to worry about in your older firebox is RUST.
If it compromises the burner, you may be SOL.