2007 JOTUL F500 vs 2021 Model

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

thehouseisonfire

Nov 16, 2021
earth
I am looking at a 2007 Jotul F500, I can’t seem to find -any specs on a 2007, only the 2020 V3.

Does anyone know how different the 2007 model is from the newer V3 epa 2020 certified models are?

My dad has a 2020 and it puts out so much heat I’m looking at upgrading a old craft unit I have with a Jotul and one popped up locally used but it’s a 2007 and I’m trying to do my due diligence before purchasing.

While the outside looks the same, inside, they are quite different. With any stove 15 yrs old, you'll want to review it carefully. It's probably due for a minor rehab at least. The first place to examine is the base around the grate. If there is any sign of cracking there, pass.

Update on this stove and my use last year.

The stove is great to look at and burns nice.

I did find some cracks, on the side doors where they are glued (welded?) together. I was able to fix mid-season with some stove temp sealant, which by the last 2 weeks of the season started to crack and break off (argg!).

I found a F600 listed locally that I'm going to pick up tomorrow, because why not! My 1774 build house is damn drafty and I could use the extra power.

I will take the F500 to my professional welder/solder experts up the street and have them solder the doors on. I think I'll put the F500 in the hallway when I get around to it, or living room (I have 9 fireplaces/4 chimneys to choose from!).

Keeping my 1 year old son away from the stove is going to be a chore this year!

Update on this stove and my use last year.

The stove is great to look at and burns nice.

I did find some cracks, on the side doors where they are glued (welded?) together. I was able to fix mid-season with some stove temp sealant, which by the last 2 weeks of the season started to crack and break off (argg!).

I found a F600 listed locally that I'm going to pick up tomorrow, because why not! My 1774 build house is damn drafty and I could use the extra power.

I will take the F500 to my professional welder/solder experts up the street and have them solder the doors on. I think I'll put the F500 in the hallway when I get around to it, or living room (I have 9 fireplaces/4 chimneys to choose from!).

Keeping my 1 year old son away from the stove is going to be a chore this year!
No not have the doors soldered on that is absolutely wrong.