2009 Harman Accentra Insert distribution motor stops / intermittent

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dan105

Dec 20, 2015
Salem, NH
20200120_144900.jpg
20200120_143603.jpg

Ok, so I have a 2009 manufactured date Harman Accenta Insert. The distribution motor stops blowing for no reason. It will start up sometimes 5 m ins, 10, and mins, or 15 mins later. I have noticed the distribution motor seems to be noisy/ loud lately. What is weird is that when I turn the stove to the off position, the noise seems to quiet down. Not sure if that is consistent when a worn distribution motor.
When I run a test while the stove is cold, everything works fine and there are no issues. I usually use this stove on room temp setting. I have a wire thermometer hooked up to the stove and it comes out of the fire place and is about a foot to the left of the stove. Not an ideal location for the thermostat wire but i don't think it is the issue. I did fine a broken wire in the wire and fixed it but still do not believe it's related, as the stove distribution motor is still stopping while the stove is running. I pulled the stove out today, leaned it all the way forward and accessed the distribution motor that is located all the way underneath the stove. This is a piss poor design and location for maintenance. It doesn't help that I just had back surgery in December. Anyways, the motor was completely caked and full of dog hair (I have 2 german shepherds). I have cleaned the motor and attached housing wheel up. Blew it all out and might spray some lube in there. Even when full of hair the wheel spun very freely. I notice the housing has play when you pull it away from the motor but that might be normal. There is no side to side play. I'm going to bench test it tonight and see how it sounds and if it runs without stopping. My question is, can I buy a cheap version of this motor? Does the housing come off or do I have to purchase it all as 1 unit. I would like to buy a cheap motor and just swap out the motor only, and reuse the wheel. I cant find this motor anywhere. Suggestions on what is wrong with my stove and finding just the motor?
Thanks guys, sorry for the long post. I typed this on a cell phone, sorry for any spelling errors.

Dan,
Yes, that was a common problem with the Accentra Inserts with the distribution blower located on the bottom of the insert. It catches all the pet hair and dander. When I got my used Accentra Insert the former owner had designed a "filter" to place in front of the stove to catch/trap all the pet hair from her two dogs...it still was loaded with hair though.

Harman got wise on the redesigned 52i and put the distribution blowers (yes 2), on the rear of the insert.

You can buy the distribution blower here-
Amazon product ASIN B000BULTKE
-and just remove the motor from the housing and reuse the old housing.
This is much cheaper option than buying from Harman direct.

Jeff

I cleaned up the motor and made a plug to test it. It blows stronger now but the motor is definitely junk and the cause of the noise I was hearing. However, I ran the motor non stop for 20 mins and it never failed. So I think my problem could be a thing called a Potentiometer switch on the control board or an exhaust temperature sensor. Gonna start by replacing the worn motor and then the Potentiometer thing's on the board and see if that fixes the stove.

UPDATE- It was the blower motor. I guess these blower motors are thermally protected and will shut bvb themselves off when they start to overheat when they are severely worn out. I put a new blower motor in it and the problem is solved. Stove works great and is cranking out heat and blower stays on now. So happy this thing is fixed!
I do notice that the Amazon Fasco blower motor seems to be louder. I might look into installing a switch to be able to control the fan speed of the blower as I know this one has wires for low and medium that I did not use.