(-: 2010 Pellet review its that time again! :-)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Taperbill said:
Thanks for the great clarification. I was getting a headache.

I appreciate the real world test.

We cant afford Robby robots for our golf guide or bowling ball purchases..Pictures showing jars with comparable ash and other real world testing results are the ticket.

The tech heads can bicker all they want..
give the masses what they want..

Cheap ,clean affordable ..heat.

now about Indeck vs. Lumber jacks..and burn time vs heat output and stove feeding times

Indeck I might be able to find, But Lumber Jacks might be a tough one. I am always on the look out and you never know.

OOOPPPS added UP when Philip already includes it. :coolsmile:

I wouldn't have even considered the pellets I bought if these tests weren't done and proof with pictures was shown. Real world testing is us using our stoves.

SIH results are complete. Mighty nice pellet for $150/ton Sign me up I want some!

Nick you got a good pellet there! WOW! :)

Looks like we have a freeze warning for tonight and next weeks temps do go much higher than the low 60º's. Sure hope the Stove chow can keep the house warm.

The Freedom Fuel are just about finished up. I should be posting results tonight and updating what I can for the stove chow.

jay, I'm interested on the results of the Stove Chow from Lowes......will keep an eye to this thread tomorrow.....

geek said:
jay, I'm interested on the results of the Stove Chow from Lowes......will keep an eye to this thread tomorrow.....

Geek, I'm sure Jay will have a little more "scientific" results on the Stove Chows, but I burned a couple of bags a week or so ago, and I was pleasantly surprised....ash was acceptable, and heat wasn't too bad.

imacman said:
geek said:

Geek, I'm sure Jay will have a little more "scientific" results on the Stove Chows, but I burned a couple of bags a week or so ago, and I was pleasantly surprised....ash was acceptable, and heat wasn't too bad.

Pete, Science isn't everything. What the seasoned burner says usually means alot. Seasoned veterans don't buy bad pellets! :)

Geek, I got the temp average of 244ºF which is pretty decent. It will be sometime before they are fininshed to get all the other results. So far so good.

guys, i poured 1 bag of Freedom Fuel i bought at local HD as a test and it is burning hotter than the green team i tried from lowes, much hotter..!!

Also, little fines in bag, not much.

Lastly, these freedom fuel pellets well just like the Okies, just like pine......did i miss something?

Is this a soft or hard wood pellet, it doesn't mention it on the bag, it says "Super Premium".

geek said:
guys, i poured 1 bag of Freedom Fuel i bought at local HD as a test and it is burning hotter than the green team i tried from lowes, much hotter..!!

Also, little fines in bag, not much.

Lastly, these freedom fuel pellets well just like the Okies, just like pine......did i miss something?

Is this a soft or hard wood pellet, it doesn't mention it on the bag, it says "Super Premium".

Geek, I think there coming from 2 different mills. check the thread that tink has on the Freedoms. Mark Fellows found different than my batch too! My batch/mill has large diameter pellets around 5/16 of an inch. Mark said his were small. I also found corn in my batch too.

Is yours 1/4 inch diameter?

yeah, these pellets are small but diameter a bit "fatter" than any other pellets i've seen, all other pellets i've tried are thinner definitely.

Break up a few and see if you see some corn pieces in them. You should see yellow bits in the pellet if there the same batch/mill as what I burnt. The stove chow was a lot hotter than these.

Freedom burned OK, Better than what I thought from all the bad reviews I have seen. Just not as hot as some of the big guns.

no signs of corn, yet.

I now want to check that stove chow......

Attachments

• Picture 005 small.jpg
    Picture 005 small.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 1,245
  • Picture 004 small.jpg
    Picture 004 small.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 1,238
  • Picture 002 small.jpg
    Picture 002 small.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 1,255
  • Picture 001 small.jpg
    Picture 001 small.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 1,253
You definetly got the fat batch!

Maybe the corn messed mine up. Corn has a funny way of burning. Slowly releasing its energy and a bit longer to get the heat. Hard to explain, But you don't get the quick flash of heat like a wood pellet. No complaints I'll burn them in the shoulders even with the corn in there.

I think you're right jay, i think they may have corn in the mix (even though i haven't seen it yet) but when they started dropping in the pot I thought the stove was going into shut down cycle as the flames got really short, so i went and checked the stat and it was still "ON", so then waited a couple more minutes and they started burning normally.

The positive thing is they seem to burn hot or at least my new toy seems to like them.

C ya....

Jay, I'm in for a shipment of SIH for next season if you are :) I sent a link to BT about 'em. Maybe they will stock them next year.

briansol said:
Jay, I'm in for a shipment of SIH for next season if you are :) I sent a link to BT about 'em. Maybe they will stock them next year.

I would definetly add them to my stash! :)

i would consider going in on a couple ton if i were closer to you guys......

jay,

yep, found corn mix with some pellets, maybe this is why i feel they're burning hot.

I finished the Stove Chow tonight and dumped in the Alleghany's. The Alleghany's had some nice heat. To bad I can't get them locally either!

That's great news! The Alleghenys are one of the brands that is readily available around here, and are manufactured fairly locally. I have not tried any of them up to this point. I'm awaiting your ash results, then will likely be off to pick up a pallet.

blaster668 said:
That's great news! The Alleghenys are one of the brands that is readily available around here, and are manufactured fairly locally. I have not tried any of them up to this point. I'm awaiting your ash results, then will likely be off to pick up a pallet.

blaster668, I would try a few bags first just in case. Its safer that way as YMMV compared to what I get for results from them. You just never know!

I went to Lowes looking for some Green Teams today. Figured I would test this years before I tried to put more in my basement. But Lowes was out of them. I wound up getting 2 bags of Clean Energy to try in this test thread.

We are heading to Blakeslee soon. I hope to get Counrty Pine, PWI and Western Wood Products to try. Gonna meet iron stove and get the Blazers too. I am also working on a chart for the first post. Don't seem to have the time I did last season. I'll do my best!

Status
Not open for further replies.