2013-14 in the works with pics (hopefully)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

onetracker

Minister of Fire
Aug 11, 2011
rondout valley ny
thanks dennis and all. i used 'paint' to resize the photos and my first attempt here will be with a 70% reduction. i'll see how it goes.

thanks to the hydraulic splitter this is the first time in 35+ years of burning that i'll be 2 years ahead. i'm gonna need it too cuz we got lots of oak from the logging yard. some of those rounds in the pile are 24" across and those that were much bigger were noodled before lifting. many were stringy and i'm happy to not be wresting those with a maul. i'm trying to get as much sugar maple as possible so we don't have all oak. there was also a truckload in there of shagbark hickory. that was a sweet score.

OT

splitter.jpg love this 22 ton splitter. it goes thru anything at 1/2 throttle. kohler engine starts with one pull. notice milkcrate:)

rounds in splits out.jpg rounds get dumped off on the right. thru the splits pile and loaded out left.

.stacking.jpg my son eagerly stacking

shoulder season wood.jpg shoulder season wood...white pine red maple sitting out on pallets till october.

Hey OT, I see the milk crate. Hopefully you stood that spitter up to do the splitting so as to save a lot of work! I like your wood shed too.

Hey OT, I see the milk crate. Hopefully you stood that spitter up to do the splitting so as to save a lot of work! I like your wood shed too.

oh yeah...i'm a convert to splitting vertically. that's because i get mostly HUGE rounds and i'm happy to not have to hoist them. and seriously...thanks again dennis for your milkcrate suggestion, i can work for hours with no back pain and little fatigue. so sweet.

the woodshed is a leftover from the previous owner. it's okay but only holds 2.5 cords. eventually i'll need a 5 cord shed. for now we're stacking outdoors and hauling 2 cords into the basement twice during the winter. works fine for us.

side note: me and the wife went cutting at the logging yard last week (when it wasn't raining!....ugh!) and something told me to bring the 290 along as a backup. after 1 round with the 362 i grounded it and roasted the chain. i usually don't bring a file when i'm just out for an hour but i had the the 290 backup...ported w/chisel chain. i'm telling you it really held its own in 24" green oak. sure it bogged a little but that sucker was throwing some chips.

best

OT

Right OT, the little 290 is not a toy!

Way to go. Getting ahead, especially with oak is a good thing.
Some nice sized rounds there, allot more fun to split with hydraulics :)

Status
Not open for further replies.