Weekend Worker Bee a Success

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you all for the great words. I love this stuff. The holtzies are so much fun to build and like you said, they are great to look at.

Gabe Raygaard. I had never watched Ax Men before, but I do look like him. Funny.

The motorcycle trip was great. I usually ride with a couple of good friends. Here are all of our bikes. We were off checking out the biggest ceder tree in the Olympic National Park. It was a big tree.

We made it way back into the woods in the park. The trail ended at a river, but it looked like it may have continued on the other side, so we crossed. As we reached the far side of the river, the mood seemed to change. We all felt a bit uneasy about something. But we were intrepid adventurers, so we pressed on. We gently rolled the bikes down the trail only doing 5MPH or so in second gear in order to make the least amount of noise possible. The Olympic National Park is a temperate rain forest, so the forest is dense, and the floor quiet as our knobby tires rolled across the ground. We rounded a corner, and there tucked into the trees stood a cabin. Well, not so much a cabin as it was a pieced together shack of sorts. The shadow of the dense green forest hung over the building, so it was hard to see what might be peering right back at us. We all stopped, and without exchanging a word between the three of us, we turned the bikes around and quietly rode back across the river. We were looking back more than we were looking forward. The place seemed deserted. We didn't see anyone, but we all had that feeling that we were being watched. You never know what happens up in them there hills. At any rate, we survived. Here is my DR650 after a long, exciting day of back country dirt exploration.

It was high time for story telling around the campfire with a good whiskey and good friends. We all three slept like the dead.

Last edited:
Wait, you don't even have a wood stove yet? Your stacks are already putting a lot of ours to shame! :eek: Good thing you're on the other side of the country - it's gonna be hard to keep up with the river monster Jones's!

I'm gonna try though. Got room for 1 more cord in the back of the garage, then I'm starting my holzi!

Nice! Post up some pics of your holtzi process as you go along. I love seeing these stacks.

I think that I'll run an extension cord back to the stacks come Christmas time and decorate them with lights. Maybe I'll make them look like little Elf houses of sorts.

Reactions: Shawn Curry
Status
Not open for further replies.