2016-17 Blaze King Performance Thread (Everything BK)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Turns out I have a PI1010 not PI1010a ... anyone happen to know the difference and if they use the same cats?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Turns out I have a PI1010 not PI1010a ... anyone happen to know the difference and if they use the same cats?

If you can find the manuals online for both you could find out...if not a phone call will get the answer.

A quick search turned up nothing on the PL 1010...? Are you sure?

Last edited:
A quick search turned up nothing on the PL 1010...? Are you sure?

Well its "PI" not "PL", but I squinted at that label for 5 minutes and I can only see 1010 not 1010a. Almost everything I find in Google is "1010a" - there's some random "1010" results, but nothing informative.

Well its "PI" not "PL", but I squinted at that label for 5 minutes and I can only see 1010 not 1010a. Almost everything I find in Google is "1010a" - there's some random "1010" results, but nothing informative.
Same here...according to the Firecat site the PI1010a uses the same cat as my freestanding Princess ultra.I suspect yours uses the same one but would verify that.

View attachment 192696

What are these circular red tabs? I'm going to probably pick up a replacement cat but I'm a little confused about what these are and if they would be supplied with the cat.

That is a diesel foil combustors...probably purchased from the same on line vendor that tells folks they do not need a gasket!!

Reactions: Ashful
Thanks for the info. I know from some BKVP posts that diesel foil is not ideal to use and I'm likely going to replace with a ceramic cat with proper gasket.

The cat does glow and yes, I gently brushed it when I did my sweep a few months ago. I've never been blown away by my burn times or heat output so if a new cat will help I'm definitely going to give it a shot.

Your performance would be better with a gasket!

The 1010 was first to come to market. We then came out with the 1010A.

In addition to it being diesel foil and also not gasketed, keep in mind the expansion and contraction of diesel foil will allow the gasket to deteriorate! The prior owner probably purchased it and found the gasket alone did not keep it secure, do they used coins to wedge it in place.

Not one to waste money...I do think you should just replace it. Put a gasket on that and it won't last.

In addition to it being diesel foil and also not gasketed, keep in mind the expansion and contraction of diesel foil will allow the gasket to deteriorate! The prior owner probably purchased it and found the gasket alone did not keep it secure, do they used coins to wedge it in place.

Not one to waste money...I do think you should just replace it. Put a gasket on that and it won't last.

Thanks BKVP! Anything special I need to know about cat replacement in the 1010 vs 1010a? I've got my eye on the ACI-63C from Firecat which I understand would come with the gasket.

Thanks BKVP! Anything special I need to know about cat replacement in the 1010 vs 1010a? I've got my eye on the ACI-63C from Firecat which I understand would come with the gasket.

The cats are the same...

That doesn't look like dieselfoil to me from the photo... in any case, you could actually see a nice performance bump just from gasketing the old one. If it was me, I'd buy a new one and a couple gaskets, and hold the old one for a spare.
Yeah, that pic ain't the greatest but if you look closely at the left end of the cat, you can see where the rows are vertical, instead of running horizontal all the way across like a DuraFoil.
I'd have a new cat in hand, but for sure I would wash the old one, gasket it, and see how much difference it made.
upload_2017-1-14_18-16-50.png

You hear that you can tell the difference by looking, but I don't think that's true. The picture from that presentation labeled "Diesel Foil" could be annealed Dieselfoil or annealed Durafoil. The picture labeled "Dura Foil" could be hard Dieselfoil or hard Durafoil.

I believe Emsclad makes those substrates for catalyst manufacturers. Have a brochure!

Image1534788411.jpg

The difference between Durafoil and Dieselfoil is in the alloy's composition.

Image881640843.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
You hear that you can tell the difference by looking, but I don't think that's true. The picture from that presentation labeled "Diesel Foil" could be annealed Dieselfoil or annealed Durafoil. The picture labeled "Dura Foil" could be hard Dieselfoil or hard Durafoil.

The fact that they spelled both names incorrectly does not lend much weight to the idea that that PowerPoint presentation was slapped together by a subject matter expert.

I believe Emsclad makes those substrates for catalyst manufacturers. Have a brochure!

View attachment 192753

The difference between Durafoil and Dieselfoil is in the alloy's composition.

View attachment 192755
The cat is diesel foil. I know for 100% certain, made by a company in Texas and is NOT emsclad. The PowerPoint is mine.

Reactions: Ashful and rdust
Also, we purchase our Durafoil from a manufacturer is the USA, not German owned.

We did at one time purchase from Sud Chemie of Munich, a great company, but they have been acquired by Clariant.

Can somebody tell me if this is good or bad? I showed in the Ranch today and like normal I started the stove and went thru the process we all know. Couple hours later I went to my truck when I saw about 10 little pieces of something black at the front of the house.
Pieces looks like little pieces of films with one side like soot and the other side real shinny. It is real thin and small pieces, do I have to worry about it? Like I said it's thin and if I touch it, it breaks and it's sooty. Any inputs will be appreciated.

My mistake... so your supplier only makes Dieselfoil in annealed and Durafoil in rigid?
We do not buy any DieselFoil. It is not a good match to wood stove temps, expansion and contraction etc.

Reactions: Woody Stover
Can somebody tell me if this is good or bad? I showed in the Ranch today and like normal I started the stove and went thru the process we all know. Couple hours later I went to my truck when I saw about 10 little pieces of something black at the front of the house.
Pieces looks like little pieces of films with one side like soot and the other side real shinny. It is real thin and small pieces, do I have to worry about it? Like I said it's thin and if I touch it, it breaks and it's sooty. Any inputs will be appreciated.
Some junk fell out of the cap. Nothing to worry about.

Status
Not open for further replies.