2016-17 Blaze King Performance Thread (Everything BK)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

webfish

Hearth.com LLC
Staff member
Oct 18, 2013
Minnesota
New season, new thread.

Just saw BKVP's closing comments on the other thread.. those are disappointing to say the least. The Ashford continues to have a useless ash system, you can't fill it up any more than 1/2 without it spilling on the floor under the stove.

DRZ1050, those were not my closing comments. I did not close the thread. I offered anyone that has an issue with the ORIGINAL Ashford ash drawer to call me any time. The offer stands. And to be clear, the CURRENT Ashford ash drawer design addresses the concerns of the earlier version. My number is 509-522-2730.

I've been patiently waiting for the weather to cool off so I can try out a burn in our new Sirocco 25 insert. Looking forward to it!

Attachments

• IMG_3738.JPG
    IMG_3738.JPG
    191.4 KB · Views: 803
Reactions: webby3650
We got this new Siricco 30 cutaway for display. It's so cool! The amount of engineering in a Blaze King is simply amazing! If anyone ever wonders why the price may be a little higher for a BK needs to see one of these.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 1,421
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 1,734
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 1,489
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 1,245
Reactions: sticks
My little BK got used all last winter but it was such a short season I only went thru about 1 to 1.5 cords of wood.

Cant wait till october/november.

We got this new Siricco 30 cutaway for display. It's so cool! The amount of engineering in a Blaze King is simply amazing! If anyone ever wonders why the price may be a little higher for a BK needs to see one of these.
Uhmm, I think you got a bad model, some pieces seem to be missing :)

Reactions: p16209
Cool heat deflector!

Well after a year of trying to decide what stove to buy, the wife and I decided on a BK Sirocco 20. I think we will pick it up next week. I hope we are as happy with it as I think we will be. I am no stove expert but after all the research I have done I am confused as to why anyone would buy a different brand other than for looks maybe... Wish me luck and I will try to follow up this winter on what I think.

New member here... I have been following the forums for a couple of months now. I grew up in a house that had a water stove that heated the house. I am going to be moving into a house with my fiance soon and we will be putting an insert in the basement fireplace. Upon reading not just this forum but other outlets, I have decided on the BK Princess Insert. I have been in contact with the only dealer in NC that I could find on the BK website. Waiting on hearing back from them to get the ball rolling. Have always loved cutting and busting wood with my father and I am extremely excited about the coming months.

New member here... I have been following the forums for a couple of months now. I grew up in a house that had a water stove that heated the house. I am going to be moving into a house with my fiance soon and we will be putting an insert in the basement fireplace. Upon reading not just this forum but other outlets, I have decided on the BK Princess Insert. I have been in contact with the only dealer in NC that I could find on the BK website. Waiting on hearing back from them to get the ball rolling. Have always loved cutting and busting wood with my father and I am extremely excited about the coming months.
Have you seen their new Ashford or Sirocco inserts? They are pretty sweet !

I'm looking forward to hearing reviews on the two new inserts. I've been beside myself with my princess insert. Everything from moisture content to burn times fills my down time on the winter nights.

Hi all
Last fall we bought a new Princess and used it all winter pretty happy with it. I have the fan kit installed on it and we have pets 2 cats one dog. I have it in my mind that the fans may have a pet hair build up maybe?. So I thought I would slide the stove out far enough for me to get behind it and remove the fan housings and clean them. I will not be doing this for a few weeks yet but I wanted to post this question ahead of time.
When I do this I will also try doing the first cleaning / checking over of this stove ever. I will read the manual before I do but I also don't want to get confused and adjust something I shouldn't .Thinking in this vane is there any advice for me to look at or check something in particular that I may overlook. Thanks for any advice Jeff

There's nothing you can mess up. You need a #2 square driver and a vacuum. Make sure to unplug it first..

DRZ1050, those were not my closing comments. I did not close the thread. I offered anyone that has an issue with the ORIGINAL Ashford ash drawer to call me any time. The offer stands. And to be clear, the CURRENT Ashford ash drawer design addresses the concerns of the earlier version. My number is 509-522-2730.

Didn't mean to suggest you closed the thread, but those were the last comments on that subject before the thread was closed...

Ashful and I both have the updated, current? 30.1, we both can't use the ash pans. The layout has the opening in line with the back of the pan. I posted some pictures a while back, and there's been no resolution. I've thought about making a small sheet metal chute to direct the ash more forward in the pan, but there isn't much clearance between the slide and bottom of the firebox, so not sure if that's an option yet (haven't tried).

Link to pictures: https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads...rformance-thread-everything-bk.145814/page-38

Last edited:
When I do this I will also try doing the first cleaning / checking over of this stove ever. I will read the manual before I do but I also don't want to get confused and adjust something I shouldn't .Thinking in this vane is there any advice for me to look at or check something in particular that I may overlook. Thanks for any advice Jeff

Make sure the bypass closes firmly, with a definite extra 'click' to get the handle pointed straight down. Dollar bill test if you have the pipe off, and you should probably have it off anyway when you brush the chimney. Creosote can pile up behind the cat as it falls down the pipe and restrict flow. If you have to tighten it up, it's pretty self explanatory when you look at it. There's a hook thingy welded on the bypass door that has a 1/4" bolt through it. Crack the jam nut loose and turn the screw clockwise a bit and check tightness. It doesn't take much, maybe a quarter turn at a time.

Look at the cat for cracks (if it's ceramic), make sure it's clean and clear, maybe brush any fly ash off with a soft brush. Visually inspect the gasket. Remember, if you pull the cat out, you must replace the gasket.

Do the dollar bill test on the door gasket. Check the glass gasket by putting a palm on each side and see if you can move the glass at all. Leaky gaskets let cold air in and that's what usually kills the cat. Tighten/replace if necessary.

I have three dogs and a cat. I never had much pet hair buildup, maybe because my king ultra was pretty high off the floor, but there was always a lot of dust. I vacuumed the outside whenever I vacuumed the floor, and definitely took the fans off and cleaned inside annually. I used the fans 24/7 all winter.

Reactions: Badger
Make sure the bypass closes firmly, with a definite extra 'click' to get the handle pointed straight down

The princess bypass handle won't point straight down but it will "click" over as you say when it's closed right.

The princess bypass handle won't point straight down but it will "click" over as you say when it's closed right.

Yeah, probably not exactly straight down. Been awhile since I've seen it :(

Have you seen their new Ashford or Sirocco inserts? They are pretty sweet !

webby3650, are you saying there is a new Ashford insert or freestanding? I only see the Sirocco and Princess inserts on their site.

The new AF25 Flush Fireplace Insert will be available in late October...if all goes well!

The new AF25 Flush Fireplace Insert will be available in late October...if all goes well!

Any details would be great. I was about to pull the trigger on a new insert, but would love to see the details on this one first.

Exact same specs as Sirocco 25 insert. Will post picture soon.

Thanks for the reply's I will look her over soon if needed is it safer to vacuum the cat or reverse the hose and blow off the ash.
Vacuum and a paint brush works good. Just a vacuum is typically all that's needed though.

Status
Not open for further replies.