1. begreen

begreen
    Mooderator 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    This year is starting out cold and damp. Last year at this time we were setting records with temps in the 90s! By this time last year my greenhouse cukes were growing strong with several 3" cukes on the vine. This year our baby cukes are still in the starter flat and haven't developed true leaves yet. Big difference. We have spinach, lettuce, carrots, broccoli and peas in the ground. All need protection from the birds at this stage. All are growing slowly due to cool feet.

2. maverick06

maverick06
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Sep 27, 2008
    Loc:
    media, pa
    Well, *apparently* in the state of Pennsylvania, you are not allowed to dispatch any game or pests with a pellet gun. *apparently*. Good thing mine stays locked up all the time........

regardless, a trap can do the work when I am not paying attention to the garden. You cant be sitting at the window like lee Harvey Oswald all day...

vinny11950 and Ashful like this.
  3. Ashful

Ashful
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Mar 7, 2012
    Loc:
    Philadelphia
    I use a Have-a-heart trap, paired with great-grandpa's old .22 rolling block "Boy's Rifle", for dispatching any destructive groundhogs. Catch 'em overnight in the trap, quietly snuff them out in the morning with the rifle. I can't use any kill traps, since I have pets.

4. ZZ Tom

ZZ Tom
    Member 2.
    NULL

Feb 3, 2014
    Loc:
    SL,UT
    I started my tomatoes, peppers, tomatillos, summer squash, winter squash, cucumbers and eggplant the last week of February. This past week I've been getting them into the ground with wall o water plant protectors. Pole beans are up for seeding this week.

Seven varieties of tomato, six kinds of peppers, four summer squash, three winter squash and three kinds of cucumbers.

Seeded my cool weather crops about a month ago. I've got peas about 2 inches tall, onions, beets, spinach, lettuce, kale, radish, broccoli and cauliflower all poking through.

I think I may have lost my apricots and peaches to frost. It warmed up real nice in February and all the trees started blooming and then got frosty cold a couple nights at the end of March.

We've got peaches, apricots, blackberries, raspberries, strawberries, goji berries and artichokes for perennials.

I'm thinking of putting in a plum and a pluot tree this year. We scored some pluots at the farmer market last summer/fall and they were off the hook delicious.

5. EatenByLimestone

EatenByLimestone
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jul 12, 2006
    Loc:
    Schenectady, NY
    I awoke to peach blossums! There will be peaches this year!

ZZ Tom and Ashful like this.
  6. EatenByLimestone

EatenByLimestone
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jul 12, 2006
    Loc:
    Schenectady, NY
    On my way home today something told me to stop in to the local garden center. I turned in and walked out back. I was shocked to see tomatoes being offered! I grabbed a 6 pack for $1.99.

On another table I noticed a guy stacking trays of planters. I asked what was going on.

A woodchuck had nibbled on a ton of their plants! They were throwing lots of trays out!

I offered to tell them how to catch the woodchuck if I could have the plants. They agreed!

I walked away with

8 trays of cauliflower
    4 trays of broccoli
    1.5 trays of kale
    A 6 pack of celery
    And my 6 pack of Roma tomatoes

I've been calling coworkers and friends asking if they like cauliflower. They immediately become guarded and ask if it's a joke. LOL.

7. Dobish

Dobish
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Oct 26, 2015
    Loc:
    Golden CO
    i am now without sunflowers... i managed to kill those :) My peonies are coming up nicely though!

8. EatenByLimestone

EatenByLimestone
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jul 12, 2006
    Loc:
    Schenectady, NY
    I remember peonies growing here when I was little. They must not have made it as they weren't here when I moved in.