2017 Gardening thread!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

EatenByLimestone

Staff member
Hearth Supporter
Its that time!

I just raked the dead plants off the first bed and cold weather seeds went in. Peas, kale and radishes... Game on!

Its early yet, but I'm itching to get a jump on it.

Whatcha puttin in da ground this year?

Its that time!

I just raked the dead plants off the first bed and cold weather seeds went in. Peas, kale and radishes... Game on!

Its early yet, but I'm itching to get a jump on it.

Whatcha puttin in da ground this year?
Down here in SE PA, we're overdue to get the cool weather stuff in the ground, and should have started the indoor seeds almost a month ago. I have one tray ready to go, but as usual, I'm way behind. The next three days should be productive, save for Easter dinner, I'm usually late to that because I'm scrambling.

SE Pa here. freezing is over, so I have everything in the ground. Tomatoes and basil were started indoors. Outside I have seeds in the ground for squash potatoes, pole beans, bush beans, lettuce, swiss chard, spinach, and for fun, edamamae and peanuts. Pole beans have germinated and already about 2" tall.

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
SE Pa here. freezing is over, so I have everything in the ground. Tomatoes and basil were started indoors. Outside I have seeds in the ground for squash potatoes, pole beans, bush beans, lettuce, swiss chard, spinach, and for fun, edamamae and peanuts. Pole beans have germinated and already about 2" tall.
Sounds like you're doing good, but what are squash potatoes?

We might have frost tonight. I'm hoping not though. I don't want another year without peaches.

Two plants I didn't separate by a comma haha!

I have summer squash and butternut squash. I have also planted tons of Yukon gold potatoes. Partially because they work well and partially because I had an old vegetable bed I wasn't using, so hope that the potatoes keep the weeds out and yield some food.

Although I am not growing it this year, I have had amazing success with pattypan squash (they look like a UFO). They work great in south east PA. They squash are good eating and local animals seem to leave them alone. But the squash do get hard pretty quick if you aren't careful.

Now this year I will do a better job doing something about chipmunks and squirrels..... have to figure out how to do that...

Reactions: vinny11950
I'm in Coastal BC - we've had a super-cold winter and spring so things are behind but so am I so that works! I have cool weather crops seeded: peas, lettuce, spinach, pak choi; and carrots and parsnips too (I learned last year that my garden next to the ocean is cool and things grow slowly so I'm putting a lot of things in early). I found some leek starts at our local Seedy Saturday so managed to get those in too (yay not behind on those!).

The birds have eaten my pea seeds twice already but the bird netting seems to have stopped them this time.

Despite the severe winter here this year, my garden next to the sea only got down to min -4C (25f) so some of the overwintered crops are doing well - got a meal of fall broccoli (transplanted Aug 2016) off the 3 fall broccoli plants last week, and the purple-sprouting broccoli is nearly ready. Garlic & Walla walla onions overwintered fine. I also have some nettles ready to harvest. The first asparagus was poking up last week. My celery overwintered so I am leaving it in to see what it does.

Other crops not overwintered on purpose (I.e. I started them too late) include Brussels sprouts, tiny carrots, parsnips and leeks. They are mostly still too small to harvest but I am leaving them in to see what they'll do/when they'll bolt.

I love gardening! Had tons of fun last year with my first real year and learned a lot. Hopefully will get a bit more production this year with my new-found knowledge. I am behind on seeding tomatoes etc. Might just buy starts this year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: vinny11950
I am gardening in central Montana at abut 5000 ft. elevation. We had a little snow last night.

This picture is of my just recently planted onion transplants from Dixondale farms. I have always experienced transplants as keeping longer that sets. I like to plant everything in beds instead of rows. It saves a bunch of space.

Also here is some volunteer spinach that came up last fall and over wintered under the snow, as it always does.
100_1777.JPG 100_1770.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Dix and vinny11950
I forgot to put in spinach! You guys saved me "that look" from the wife! Thankya! Lol

Reactions: Cynnergy
our spinach and kale are making a comeback from last year. I have my potatoes in the ground as well as some onions. I need to dig up the strawberries from the other house, but they were looking great!

I still need to till the gardens and remove a bunch of pine needles, blend in some more compost and get another load of mulch. I have a lot of my seedlings started, so when they are ready we will have
- 4 types of tomatoes
- 3 types of peppers
- 3 types of basil
- cilantro
- mint
- oregano
- rosemary
- 3 types of squash
- eggplants
- cucumbers
- mixed greens
- sweet salad mix
- arugula
- strawberries
- beets
- radishes
- sunflowers
- Calendula

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
Two plants I didn't separate by a comma haha!

I have summer squash and butternut squash. I have also planted tons of Yukon gold potatoes. Partially because they work well and partially because I had an old vegetable bed I wasn't using, so hope that the potatoes keep the weeds out and yield some food.

Although I am not growing it this year, I have had amazing success with pattypan squash (they look like a UFO). They work great in south east PA. They squash are good eating and local animals seem to leave them alone. But the squash do get hard pretty quick if you aren't careful.

Now this year I will do a better job doing something about chipmunks and squirrels..... have to figure out how to do that...

i did patty pan by accident last year,and it was fantastic! Doing it again this year!

Wow, I feel embarrassed now. I am only taking care of the perenial flowers this year. A few weeks ago I put down some compost around the early flowers and cut back the rose bushes. Cleaned up the yard a bit. This weekend, if I have time (gotta do some Jeep work), I will put down some mulch before the weeds get going.

I've been slowly putting more and more perennial veggies in. I figure I'm ahead if they take care of themselves and I only have to pick them. No planting, weeding, seed starting, etc.

I have:
Peach tree
Blueberries (high and lowbush, early and later ripening)
Asparagus
Rhubarb
3 types of raspberries (wild blackcaps, early variety, late variety to spread out ripening again)
Horseradish
Shallots? Some sort of onion family that my wife trims and applies to food.

Oh, I also have mint and Rosemary, but I forgot to water the pot and my 7yo rosemary plant dried out and died this winter.

Wow, I feel embarrassed now. I am only taking care of the perenial flowers this year. A few weeks ago I put down some compost around the early flowers and cut back the rose bushes. Cleaned up the yard a bit. This weekend, if I have time (gotta do some Jeep work), I will put down some mulch before the weeds get going.

Last year I didn't have any time and only got tomatoes in. And I didn't even start them. I went to Lowes and picked up itty bitty plants.

Nothing planted outside yet here in Maine but lots of seedlings going in the house. I have broccoli, brussel sprouts, cabbage, many tomatoes, sweet peppers and jalapenos under grow lights. Today I planted all of my melon and squash seeds. In the next week to week and a half I'll get some cool weather seeds planted after I add some compost to the beds. A fw have mentioned patty pan squash - I'm growing it this year for the first time and have a question. Does it vine or is it a bush like zucchini?

Oh, I also have mint and Rosemary, but I forgot to water the pot and my 7yo rosemary plant dried out and died this winter.

Last year I didn't have any time and only got tomatoes in. And I didn't even start them. I went to Lowes and picked up itty bitty plants.

I have a mint plant outside in a pot that has survived 3 winters already. And I do nothing to try to protect it from the winter cold. Makes good Mojitos though.

I have very sandy soil, so I have to constantly add compost/organic matter around the plants I want to thrive. I have been using this product called Bio Root to help the new plants develop better root systems.

Guy on local radio today reminded everybody that is jumping on their gardens because of the oddly hot days that the average last frost here is in May.

the pattypan do not vine, but they still take up a lot of space, like any other squash. just pick them before they get too hard and you will be fine!

I usually get everything but tomatoes in in April. The official frost free day is memorial day here.

I usually get everything but tomatoes in in April. The official frost free day is memorial day here.

Every year, I try to enjoy my gardening more, and fret less. Same with the woodpile. I guess I'm making slight improvement each year, but I'd like to get the ratio to 95 to 5 (pleasure to stress). Just enough to remain motivated, fed, and warmed.

The biggest deterance this year was all the wood that turned up in the last 6 months. Some wood came from five trees were shading the garden, so should be a good year in the garden, but still so much wood to process, and get stored. Wonderful problems to have- and two more neighbors just informed me that they have tree work scheduled in the near future. Just need more time and energy...

2017-04-17 (2).jpg
I just planted my cherry tree, my apricot tree, and my peach tree! i picked up a couple of brackets to hang some planter boxes on the edge of the deck for some of the herbs and maybe some of the lettuces or onions.

I was thinking about string beans or pole beans, but not sure if that is going to happen this year....

here is a picture of my peach and apricot tree :) can you spot them?
Xb6RlQw7Nla-kkoezwYQc8e6SgKxI_Dzrq_8czkQa8N_sW-cE7867zvVn9ARkg_W-GMlvSBZLjp4du0F6g=w1341-h754-no.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
View attachment 197017 I just planted my cherry tree, my apricot tree, and my peach tree! i picked up a couple of brackets to hang some planter boxes on the edge of the deck for some of the herbs and maybe some of the lettuces or onions.

I was thinking about string beans or pole beans, but not sure if that is going to happen this year....

here is a picture of my peach and apricot tree :) can you spot them?
View attachment 197015

You bought them already cut and stacked? !!!

Reactions: ZZ Tom and Dobish