2020-21 Blaze King Performance Thread (Everything BK)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh I see. Cat stoves burn longer and slower so I want a non-cat stove. The supreme NOVO 18/24 aren't cat and have BTU of 60000-75000 which seems potentially appropriate?

Cat stoves are best at low and slow but they are capable of 800 degrees just like a noncat. Once you warm up the space you’re going to want to turn the stove down to maintain temperature with a long, efficient, clean burn. If the space is small and doesn't lose much heat you will really like the cat stove’s ability to run low and slow.

Last edited:
Reactions: becasunshine
We see Supreme stoves show up here occasionally. They are lightweight with a lot of stainless steel and heat up quickly. I think webby3650 has installed them in the past?

Hello all,

I'm thinking about using a sooteater to clean my flue. With the Blaze King stoves, when the bypass is open, there should be a direct way at the back of the firebox into the flue, right?
Does anyone know if there are parts back there that may not like that, such as gaskets?

Thanks!

Update: BKVP gave me some advice on this, and it boils down to:
The problem is the debris from the stack will fall down and about 50% will land in the firebox. The rest will pile up on top of the shelf and a good portion up against the back of the combustor.

So probably better to slide up the telescoping pipe.

Last edited:
@BKinger sweep the black pipe, remove it and vacuum behind the cat, fly ash and debris will accumulate behind the cat, also take a pic with your cell phone to check the back of the cat to see if there are any cracks or chunks flaking off.
isnt it easier just to remove the cat. just asking

on average, how many years will the bypass gasket, door and glass gasket last. Im dreading the thought of it

isnt it easier just to remove the cat. just asking
The gasket on the cat is a one time use thing, it tends to fall apart after you remove the cat, so dont touch the cat until you need to replace it (gasket expands slightly when heated)
Also remove the black pipe to clean the black pipe, also allows to check the condition of the internal pipe to make sure its all good to go.

The gasket on the cat is a one time use thing, it tends to fall apart after you remove the cat, so dont touch the cat until you need to replace it (gasket expands slightly when heated)
Also remove the black pipe to clean the black pipe, also allows to check the condition of the internal pipe to make sure its all good to go.
I bought a big roll of gasket material so replacing the gasket is no big deal and it sure makes cleaning the upper portion of the stove easier,

I bought a big roll of gasket material so replacing the gasket is no big deal and it sure makes cleaning the upper portion of the stove easier,

yeah, but it is a pain in the neck with some contortion involved. There ought to be a yoga position called "replacing the combustor." I use a flashlight and that skinny bit on the tip of the vacuum cleaner hose. Cell phone pic is a good idea, don't remember who posted it.

Also, brush off the bypass door gasket before you close the bypass after sweeping. Order would be sweep, brush off bypass door gasket, close bypass door, clean and inspect rear of combustor, replace telescope pipe.

I shove the sooteater through the open bypass and up the flue. Debris falls down, sure. After sweeping I lift the black pipe off the stove and vacuum it all out. Lube up the bypass mechanism and reset the black pipe. Done.

Oh and don’t forget to remove the probe thermometer before sweeping.

Every single time I start a new fire or load a cool stove I sweep off the bypass gasket. I don’t want that junk to foul the bypass seal.

After over 30 cords through my princess, I haven’t seen any reason to replace the bypass gasket. It passes the dollar bill test and is not as critical as the door gasket.

Every single time I start a new fire or load a cool stove I sweep off the bypass gasket. I don’t want that junk to foul the bypass seal.

Seriously that often? I agree I don't want junk to foul my bypass seal either, but I have only ever cleaned mine when I have the telescope pipe up to get at it from above. Usually clean mine with a specific soft bristled paint brush off twice a season.

Mine has six seasons seasons done, starting the seventh on the factory bypass seal. It passed the dollar bill test in the last couple weeks. What is your life expectancy for a bypass door seal?

Seriously that often? I agree I don't want junk to foul my bypass seal either, but I have only ever cleaned mine when I have the telescope pipe up to get at it from above. Usually clean mine with a specific soft bristled paint brush off twice a season.

Mine has six seasons seasons done, starting the seventh on the factory bypass seal. It passed the dollar bill test in the last couple weeks. What is your life expectancy for a bypass door seal?

Yes, every cold start or even cool start. It’s a habit. Reach my hand up there and always find junk on that gasket to wipe off. I might be overdoing it but it can’t hurt!

Like I said, I’ve never replaced that bypass gasket in at least 30 cords over 8 long seasons. My thought is that as long as the bypass tension can be adjusted to gain proper “clunk” and dollar bill test passes that it’s fine. The gasket is really high density and a flat seal. It also gets harder with age. I only had to adjust tension on it the first few years. It’s basically solid now matching the bypass plate.

Hello friends! I just lit my first fire for the year about an hour ago. My chimney sweep came in July and said that I had a bit of build up, but that was because I purchased my wood late in the year last year and it was a little wet. This year I bought my wood in May and it's been sitting on racks outside.

I'm curious because I have a bit of a plastic smell with today's fire. Is that normal for the first fire of the year with a BK?

Hello friends! I just lit my first fire for the year about an hour ago. My chimney sweep came in July and said that I had a bit of build up, but that was because I purchased my wood late in the year last year and it was a little wet. This year I bought my wood in May and it's been sitting on racks outside.

I'm curious because I have a bit of a plastic smell with today's fire. Is that normal for the first fire of the year with a BK?

Just depends on what kind of dust you have floating around and settling on the stove. Burning dust is what you’re smelling.

Yep, the dust burning will smell. I take a cotton cloth and mist it with water two quick mists, then dust the stove top off about every few days to keep it dust free.

I also rigged up a box fan with a HEPA filter and you wouldn’t believe how that helps with dust in the house. I use the fan to gently blow cold air back towards the stove from the furthest rooms. A clothes dryer in the house is the biggest source of dust.

I have an insert. I guess dust still accumulates inside? Even though I recently had it cleaned out? The smell did go away eventually.

How long can you burn before you need to empty the ashes from the princess insert?

How does the princes handle bio bricks?

The princess does great with bricks. You can burn nothing but bricks if you need to.

As with pellets, different woods more different ash amounts. Softwood makes nearly no ash so you could go all year on Douglas fir without emptying the ash.

If you have those big dogs you’ll need more little guys to fill around him to get maximum fuel charge. Much bigger than 6” and I have a hard time getting two rows in. A variety of sizes helps but on average, bigger dry splits win.

I like a few big splits and fill the gaps as needed. Big round make big splits, small rounds small splits. I also like having a variety. Big splits save time splitting, stacking, moving wood etc. provided you have time to season it.

Attachments

• 422EBF9A-4372-4D9D-ADF8-82A62883878D.jpeg
    422EBF9A-4372-4D9D-ADF8-82A62883878D.jpeg
    216.3 KB · Views: 170
  • A90FA81D-9A7B-4D0C-8005-B515334349CD.jpeg
    A90FA81D-9A7B-4D0C-8005-B515334349CD.jpeg
    209.4 KB · Views: 182
  • 2E5296E9-F403-418E-8E06-F6725A19A85E.jpeg
    2E5296E9-F403-418E-8E06-F6725A19A85E.jpeg
    177.8 KB · Views: 175
I like a few big splits and fill the gaps as needed. Big round make big splits, small rounds small splits. I also like having a variety. Big splits save time splitting, stacking, moving wood etc.
Beautiful!! I am hoping this is not your version of Sept 20th 2020 shoulder season load.

How does the princes handle bio bricks?
I keep about 10 packs of bricks in the garage for my just incase last resort wood (if I catch a flu or something) When bricks first started getting popular here I did a test, at the time I was using a brand called compressed wood bricks, they were about the size of clay red bricks, maybe slightly longer, I threw a whole pack of 18 on hot coals and let it go, got almost 18hrs out of them, the cat really liked eating that smoke. The compressed wood brick co was bought out by presto logs and now they suck, so I switched over to the other local brand which is redstones from tractor supply, they're ok, much bigger like a large tick tac, I'll throw a 3 pack in there and get about 8-10hrs per burn. Just get the bricks burning with the air control on high, once they catch, turn the t-stat down to low / medium, sit back and enjoy the boringness of the burn,

Reactions: Highbeam
Yes, every cold start or even cool start. It’s a habit. Reach my hand up there and always find junk on that gasket to wipe off. I might be overdoing it but it can’t hurt!

Like I said, I’ve never replaced that bypass gasket in at least 30 cords over 8 long seasons. My thought is that as long as the bypass tension can be adjusted to gain proper “clunk” and dollar bill test passes that it’s fine. The gasket is really high density and a flat seal. It also gets harder with age. I only had to adjust tension on it the first few years. It’s basically solid now matching the bypass plate.
in the stove manual it stresses the importance of not over-tightening the bypass door. can anyone explain to me what happens if you do? would you almost be causing the lip of the plate to pop up by putting too much pressure across it where the rod is? i really have no idea - please enlighten me.

On another note, finally got around to putting the new door gasket on.
1600723497501.png

Glad that I remembered to check the glass retainer nuts - one was actually quite loose. A good reminder! Will hang the door tomorrow, and should be into some burning later on this weekend.

On another note, finally got around to putting the new door gasket on.View attachment 263499

Glad that I remembered to check the glass retainer nuts - one was actually quite loose. A good reminder! Will hang the door tomorrow, and should be into some burning later on this weekend.
Nice clean job. I checked my door gasket with a 5 dollar bill and it was snug all around. Tried to wiggle the glass, no movement. Did the bypass gasket as well, in one spot i was able to pull the bill out with some force.

Been wanting to try some of the bricks. Which are best?

Get a few of each brand available local to you and find out. Every install is different and there is about 16 bajillion producers to choose from. The NIELS (northern idaho energy logs) get uniformly good reviews; but they aren't available everywhere, and would be heavy/ expensive to ship.

I remember someone saying the batch processed logs, continuous press, tend to work better than those that are made (pressed) one at time, but that info is not generally on the consumer label.

Status
Not open for further replies.