2020 Compliant Budget Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

revdocjim

Burning Hunk
Sep 7, 2015
Japan
I haven't been on this forum for quite some time but decided to come back because my son is about to purchase a small fixer upper home on the Oregon coast. It has a completely rusted out stove of some sort. Not sure what it is but he says it looks pretty bad. So he was asking me for a recommendation and I remembered that when I used to hang out here the Home Depot stoves were pretty popular when it came to "best bang for your buck". As I recall, they were priced at something like $899 but then would go on sale every once in a while for $699 or something like that. So I took a look at Home Depot and see they have the Ashley Hearth Products which look similar to the ones that used to get recommended here, although they are a little more expensive. So, is this stove still get high marks around here? Is there something else you would recommend over it. My son is 26, a wild land fire fighter and off-season arborist. He and his wife are just getting started and this will be their first house. They are on a tight budget and will be using their entire savings on the down payment so something reliable and affordable is what they need. All suggestions and recommendations welcome! I'm attaching a photo of the house with the current stove for reference. And the home is about 1200 sq. ft.
old stove.jpg

May be worth a few close up shots of the current stove to get it identified. Both detailed exterior and interior pics. On the off chance a bit of elbow grease can make it usable.

Look for stoves in the 2 cu ft range. Check Costco for Drolet stoves. Also look online for the mid-sized Century stoves.

The coast environment can be corrosive due to salt spray in the air. They should have the chimney system checked for corrosion too. I know it's an additional expense, but they need to get their firewood now. Poorly seasoned wood will make the best stove perform poorly.

May be worth a few close up shots of the current stove to get it identified. Both detailed exterior and interior pics. On the off chance a bit of elbow grease can make it usable.
Thanks. I wondered about that too but my son said it looked completely rusted out, including the chimney.

Look for stoves in the 2 cu ft range. Check Costco for Drolet stoves. Also look online for the mid-sized Century stoves.

The coast environment can be corrosive due to salt spray in the air. They should have the chimney system checked for corrosion too. I know it's an additional expense, but they need to get their firewood now. Poorly seasoned wood will make the best stove perform poorly.
Thanks. I am sure the location played a big part in the rusting out of the old stove and chimney. My son knows about the need for properly seasoned wood and I'm pretty sure he'll have plenty of wood available given his line of work..

Thanks. I am sure the location played a big part in the rusting out of the old stove and chimney. My son knows about the need for properly seasoned wood and I'm pretty sure he'll have plenty of wood available given his line of work..

Problem is that if his wood isn't already cut and split and stacked it won't be ready to burn this winter.

Heat, moisture and salt are a sure formula for corrosion. Be sure that the source of wood is not driftwood.

Problem is that if his wood isn't already cut and split and stacked it won't be ready to burn this winter.
Yup. He and I are fully aware of the need for properly cured wood... <20% moisture etc. The first winter he will just have to figure out how to source his wood. He hasn't even closed on the house yet and the earliest he could move in would be next month.

Nice budget stove...free shipping too.

If you need to replace the chimney, these guys have about the best chimney pieces/parts prices I've seen...plus they do a "11% off" sale about once every six weeks or so too...the 11% is a rebate for store credit...I know there are no Menards out that way, but I've seen guys sell the rebate to someone that has stores locally...and you'd have shipping to pay too, but even with that, I doubt you'll beat their price...I used this same stuff to put a chimney up at my inlaws new house and the whole thing was only $600 or so...have actually put up 3 chimneys using Supervent, one here, one for my sister, and the inlaws place, no problems.