2020 wood consumption

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Yeah, that past week in Nov was something else! Your wood usage is dependent on your location. If you are in the Kenora region 30cf is great. If you are in the Niagara region then it is so so.

Reactions: MissMac
been all over the map up here - it was 18*C about a week ago, which is unreal. Now a more seasonal -9*C. Think i've burned about half a cord so far this year.

I'm right around 3/4 of a cord already. The end of October was unusually cold, we've pretty much been burning steady for the last month.

Reactions: Isaac Carlson
haven't even ordered wood yet, never mind burned any! gonna get two cords soon, should see me through April.

Few over nights with oak. Had a nice warm stretch here too. Burning spruce for everything else. Saving the hard stuff for colder longer over nights.

16 degrees low tonite. fired up the stove! got 2 cords of hardwood dropped this afternoon.

Temps around here have been really unpredictable, just the other week my stove was shut down due to nearly 8 days in a row of upper 60's and 70 degree weather! So with that and other random too warm days I would estimate I'm not quite through a cord yet. My wood bins hold 1.8 cords of wood (stacks are are on 10 ft long pallets stacked 6 ft high) and I have yet to empty out my first bin which is a mix of 1 yr old pine and nearly 2 yr old cherry. I have been burning lots of shorts and uglies so that too is probably helping cut down on the amount of proper split wood I'm burning.

We've had some warm days with some cooler days mixed in. Tuesday night it went down to 23 here but the week before was like 8 days of 70s and upper 60s. same the past couple days. Haven't burned regularly yet.. just fires here and there..

I've burned 15.75 cut so far

We had a pretty good cold snap in October and again this month. Basically been 24/7 since mid October with a couple short shut downs. Haven’t touched the furnace, about a cord down

I've gone through about a face cord so far. Furnace hasn't ran at all yet this year. The propane guy came by last week, dragged his hose across the yard only to see the bullet was full. Oops.

Reactions: mcdougy
As of 12/15 about 2 cords. Less than last year according to my records. Perhaps my work on tightening the house is paying off, or it’s been warmer, or both

I’ve burned a touch over 4 cords since mid October. 5500+ sq. ft. between 2 buildings, and all of our hot water. Not a squirt of propane since October except for frying eggs and searing steaks. It’s been mild so far.
D92935A3-38C0-454D-91C2-C75ECFF332AF.jpeg
3 out of 4 stacks left. All Ash, cut to 24” long and left big; some of those rounds are 12”. 18-25% mc.

Understatement of the day.
its terrible.. do the people in California really need to be told to stay home.. Where a mask.. as they have 43k in new cases yesterday and the hospitals are putting up tents in the parking lots..

If California was its own country it would rank 3rd be hind the USA and Brazil in New cases... Terrible...

Only a matter of time before COVID made its way into the conversation.

I noticed the last of my 2019-20 wood stack go real quick after we were sequestered at home from March to the end of the burning season. On the plus side I was able to use all of time at home to get wood cut split and stacked for 21-22 this past Spring and get the wood that I'm burning right now in the shed and ready for its daily trips to the stove. When life hands you lemons...

Been too mild here for many wood fires, have used less than a third of a cord
and only 10 % of a tank of propane. Wondering why I put five cord in the basement
But it is only the 23 of December can be very very cold in January and Febuary
So we will see

I’ve burned a touch over 4 cords since mid October. 5500+ sq. ft. between 2 buildings, and all of our hot water. Not a squirt of propane since October except for frying eggs and searing steaks. It’s been mild so far.
View attachment 269860
3 out of 4 stacks left. All Ash, cut to 24” long and left big; some of those rounds are 12”. 18-25% mc.
Wow man 4 chords (full) before the end of December...whats your guess for the heating season? 12 or more?

Reactions: Eureka
1.5cord here. Seems about right for around the end of December.
Jan and Feb about 1 each.
1.5 for the remainder. That's the plan anyway.

According to the State of Maine, the average cost of heating oil per BTU right now is not much more than cord wood if you are buying cord wood at $275/cord: https://www.maine.gov/energy/heating-fuel-prices

So I have been sleeping in a little later and letting the furnace heat the house in the morning up to 66 degrees and then letting the wood stove take over after that until the mid-day sun passive solar heating takes care of the rest. The nice thing about that is I get warm air heating up my bathroom when I jump in the shower first thing, then can worry about the rest of the house later.

So I have probably only burned 1/3 of a cord so far this season.

Wow man 4 chords (full) before the end of December...whats your guess for the heating season? 12 or more?
Yes likely 12+. I had 16 ready. It’s a LOT of wood but a lot of space and my shop building has big doors that are open daily. I’m happy and my wife moves and stacks while I cut so we can get a couple cords put up in a few hours on nice spring days. Logs are delivered and placed on railroad ties so bucking is a piece of cake. I get Ash from a logger that is usually almost dry so we leave it big and it dries fast. Burns better in the wood burner too. Lotta wood though.

According to the State of Maine, the average cost of heating oil per BTU right now is not much more than cord wood if you are buying cord wood at $275/cord: https://www.maine.gov/energy/heating-fuel-prices

So I have been sleeping in a little later and letting the furnace heat the house in the morning up to 66 degrees and then letting the wood stove take over after that until the mid-day sun passive solar heating takes care of the rest. The nice thing about that is I get warm air heating up my bathroom when I jump in the shower first thing, then can worry about the rest of the house later.

So I have probably only burned 1/3 of a cord so far this season.

This is what we've been doing as well, in regards to using our furnace. House is about 68 to 70 when I get up for work everyday so what we've been doing is having the furnace kick on for a few hours in the morning, maybe until about 9 am or so then it turns off. We've mostly been doing this just to get the house brought up to the low 70's, then the stove handles it fine till the next morning. Even with this bit of running the furnace every day I haven't noticed any increase in our natural gas use on our utility bills. No one else in the neighborhood uses wood heat for over 95% of their heating needs so I can only imagine what their winter heating bills must be like :eek: