2021-2022 BK everything thread

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There shouldn't be smoke if the cat is in the active zone. The combustor should be good for 10-12,000 hrs of use. If it has a lot less than that, check to make sure it is not plugged with ash. Remove the flame shield, brush off any ash coating the front, and blow some air through it. Replace the flame shield and then try a new fire.
If the combustor has 10,000+ hrs on it, it's time to pick up a replacement.

It doesn't have to be glowing to work. But it can glow even when it's not working. As the cat has a lifetime of abouy 10-12 thousand hours, you might need a new cat.

The black chunks brightening up is normal when you run low.

There shouldn't be smoke if the cat is in the active zone. The combustor should be good for 10-12,000 hrs of use. If it has a lot less than that, check to make sure it is not plugged with ash. Remove the flame shield, brush off any ash coating the front, and blow some air through it. Replace the flame shield and then try a new fire.
If the combustor has 10,000+ hrs on it, it's time to pick up a replacement.
Thanks for your reply be green. I did the cleanup on the Combuster yesterday… Did everything you suggested for the cleanup today. I have the steel combuster… And it looks like it’s brand new. It cleaned up really well. Unfortunately it didn’t seem to make a difference.
Time for a new combuster I guess… What the heck else could it be!
Any suggestions for ordering a new combuster from the states? I checked the dealer here and he wants 500 Canadian!!!

Reactions: Alpine1
Looking new doesn't mean anything about the state of the cat.
Midwesthearth sells carts (also on Amazon). Or your nearest BK dealer (you may be able to have it drop shipped to you).

Take a look here:
Excellent customer service.

Reactions: Highbeam and Larch
Thanks for your reply be green. I did the cleanup on the Combuster yesterday… Did everything you suggested for the cleanup today. I have the steel combuster… And it looks like it’s brand new. It cleaned up really well. Unfortunately it didn’t seem to make a difference.
Time for a new combuster I guess… What the heck else could it be!
Any suggestions for ordering a new combuster from the states? I checked the dealer here and he wants 500 Canadian!!!
i bought one through the BK dealer this past summer and it was something like $430 CAD. I don't think they're getting any cheaper...

Finally back at the lake. Loaded the Princess up with some punky maple chunks and couple of dry rot hemlock hoping to burn that down to coals by evening. I am running the throttle at about 3:30 with some flames in the box. It is 15 out there….a bit nippy.

Reactions: Highbeam
If I'm not mistaking the Princess, Ashford, Sirco 30 cats are all the same size, you can buy a princess cat for $210 usd at midwesthearth.com = 4" x 10.6" x 2"

Reactions: Alpine1
Hi there – – have a couple of questions regarding the catalytic combustor in my stove.

Once the combustor is glowing red, how long does yours stay red before it’s back to gray?

Once it’s gray, is it still working, and if so how long does it stay active?

Mine does glow red… But doesn’t last very long… Maybe 10 minutes. At this stage, there is some smoke coming out of the chimney – – no it’s not vapor!

yesterday I filled the stove completely – – it only burns well for about six hours. I came home to find Lots of logs that were only burned about 2/3 of the way, and lots of chunks hockey puck size and larger.… The firebox was black but came to life a little once a turn the thermostat up.
The thermostat was set at. 2

I am burning mainly fir and birch that was processed about seven years ago and is stored in a shed. It is dry!!

The stove has been used intermittently, and is nine years old.… Do you think it might be a faulty combust?

Would appreciate any help you can offer… And merry Christmas to everyone.

Whoops… Forgot to tell you that my Stove is a blaze king chinook 30
Try sacrificing a load at setting 2:30. Or even 3. Just for testing purposes.

If I'm not mistaking the Princess, Ashford, Sirco 30 cats are all the same size, you can buy a princess cat for $210 usd at midwesthearth.com = 4" x 10.6" x 2"

Maybe even consider a ceramic cat instead of the steel.

Thanks for all your replies. I think I will order one from Midwest Hearth. What’s the difference between the ceramic and the steel combuster’s. The one I have right now is a steel one

I just ordered one of the steel 10.6×4×2 from Midwest hearth to have a spare just in case. After shipping and taxes it was still over a 120 cheaper than the local dealer for the blaze king cat. If it wasn't a spare that will probably sit on a shelf for years I think I'd of spent the extra on the blaze king part, always was a sucker for oem parts

Thanks for all your replies. I think I will order one from Midwest Hearth. What’s the difference between the ceramic and the steel combuster’s. The one I have right now is a steel one
This is a frequent question that deserves a sticky, maybe even in the new BK section of this forum. Though not many cat stoves have the option of steel vs. ceramic.

I’ve run several cats through my princess both steel and ceramic and even if the price was the same I’d choose ceramic. Any new cat will feel like a huge improvement over the worn out cat that you remove.

Due to supply chain problems and the essential nature of a catalyst, I have my next ceramic cat from Midwest hearth prepurchased and ready to install. Even though the current one is only about 50% through the 10-12k hour life expectancy.

What is the shelf life of a spare cat?

Take a look here:
Excellent customer service.
Can't go wrong with those e folks, bought a spare because the price was right. However my original BK one is still strong at about 4 years burning 24/7 , PS my wood is 100% primo , maybe that helps.

Reactions: Alpine1 and Larch
It’s just a catalyst, so I would expect shelf stable forever. It’s not like a gallon of milk.
Yes, I would think so. But maybe the coating has a shelf life.

Yes, I would think so. But maybe the coating has a shelf life.

Maybe like radioactive decay? The precious metals should be quite stable but any of our chemist members care to comment?

By definition, a catalyst isn’t even consumed in the reaction while in the stove. It’s just covered up or changes shape due to high heat so as to not be effective. That’s why some folks have asked about the possibility of recycling.

Good question Diabel. I would want to know if the cats have a “best by” date.

Reactions: Diabel
At room temperature the shelf life will be long enough. Decades if not longer (preferably packed sealed, dry - so if it doesn't come in a sealed bag, I'd put it in a large ziplock with a silica packed in there).

I am one of those people that want to be prepared. I have a cat sitting in my Amazon cart. But if there is any degradation of any components/processes than I will wait before getting a spare one. I would gestimate…..I put about 800-1000h on the BK cat per heating season.

Maybe like radioactive decay? The precious metals should be quite stable but any of our chemist members care to comment?
You called?

No, no decay, radioactive or otherwise. And no degradation, either. I mean, sure, if you'd leave it open on a shelf and let dust gather in it, that might not be beneficial, but otherwise, no. Storage temperature and humidity won't hurt neither the base substrate nor the coating.

Just don't store it on top of your hot stove. ..

Hi there – – have a couple of questions regarding the catalytic combustor in my stove.

Once the combustor is glowing red, how long does yours stay red before it’s back to gray?

Once it’s gray, is it still working, and if so how long does it stay active?

Mine does glow red… But doesn’t last very long… Maybe 10 minutes. At this stage, there is some smoke coming out of the chimney – – no it’s not vapor!

yesterday I filled the stove completely – – it only burns well for about six hours. I came home to find Lots of logs that were only burned about 2/3 of the way, and lots of chunks hockey puck size and larger.… The firebox was black but came to life a little once a turn the thermostat up.
The thermostat was set at. 2

I am burning mainly fir and birch that was processed about seven years ago and is stored in a shed. It is dry!!

The stove has been used intermittently, and is nine years old.… Do you think it might be a faulty combust?

Would appreciate any help you can offer… And merry Christmas to everyone.

Whoops… Forgot to tell you that my Stove is a blaze king chinook 30
I'd first pull off the smoke pipe and vacuum behind the cat, also hit the front of the cat with a little bit of compressed air to make sure there is no plugging.

You called?

No, no decay, radioactive or otherwise. And no degradation, either. I mean, sure, if you'd leave it open on a shelf and let dust gather in it, that might not be beneficial, but otherwise, no. Storage temperature and humidity won't hurt neither the base substrate nor the coating.
I might as well order one then, in these stupid times…..

Status
Not open for further replies.