2021-2022 BK everything thread

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
you know, you'd make it a lot easier on us if you would sell gaskets and related items directly. IMHO. I know your trying to support your dealers, but at least we would be assured we were getting the right stuff

Last time I ordered gaskets from my local dealer I went in with all the part numbers right out of the BK manual. Doing it that way I got exactly what I wanted.

Last time I ordered gaskets from my local dealer I went in with all the part numbers right out of the BK manual. Doing it that way I got exactly what I wanted.
I tried that just last week. Needed a spare cat for a Sirocco insert bought just last year. BK has since that time made multiple manual revisions, and changed the cat part number . . .

I order my cats from midwest hearth and all other parts online from hechler's stove and hearth. Pain in the butt since my BK dealer went out of business and the next nearest guy doesnt have a shop, he will only do service calls from his van so your out of luck if your a diy person, not paying $175 for a stove door to a new gasket replaced.
All this really means is that you should be pro-active and have extra gaskets & cats on hand ( I order off season when availability is higher)

you know, you'd make it a lot easier on us if you would sell gaskets and related items directly. IMHO. I know your trying to support your dealers, but at least we would be assured we were getting the right stuff
As I mentioned, order it with the dealer and ask to have it drop shipped from us to the house of the stove owner. Dealers are happy to oblige.

Reactions: Nealm66

Add stoves to that list.

It's not just that I don't want to pay a large markup for the zero value that a dealer adds- after the last experience I had, I doubt I'll ever be willing to buy a BK from a dealer again.

Let me pay the manufacturer and the LTL truck company. Putting one stove on an LTL takes 5 minutes if you have a loading dock. Keep the dealer markup for yourself if you want.

If you know anyone who is in charge of a car company, I have exactly the same ask for them!

Reactions: MissMac
The dealer around here seems pretty fair. Kind of a bigger dealership maybe? Think they have a couple 2,3 locations. They carry a few other brands and sold me the pipe and the guy in charge of the installations answered all my stupid questions ( there was a lot) Hopefully when it comes time I can do as bkvp says and just have it delivered straight from BK through them. They seem so busy I’d suspect that’s why they were so willing to help with the self install and probably be the same with self maintenance.

As I mentioned, order it with the dealer and ask to have it drop shipped from us to the house of the stove owner. Dealers are happy to oblige.
Well my dealer is an _____. Ordered a door gasket form him, or tried to, Its a candle shop that sells wood stoves, and he certainly didn't sell me on a blaze king, cause I know more about them than he did. When I call I usually get 17 year old Stacy whose cute, but dumb as a box of rocks. Had wisdom teeth pulled that was easier then trying to explain to Stacy what I needed.

Getting that part number might make life easier. Like guys at the auto parts store can't sell you a spark plug for a chevy 350 without asking whether it's 4wd or not. They just look up and order parts.

And for crying out loud, use a heavy (like 1/4" thick) bead of RTV to set the oem gasket. Those silly studs and bolts stick up that far at least so the gasket has to ride over all of them.

Reactions: Alpine1
I have lots of experience changing gaskets on my VC, most are very easy to do. Buy I am not looking forward to changing the BK door gasket.

Reactions: Highbeam
I tried that just last week. Needed a spare cat for a Sirocco insert bought just last year. BK has since that time made multiple manual revisions, and changed the cat part number . . .
Let us know how your search ends up. I was considering grabbing a new cat for my Ashford 25 but wasn't having any luck online either.

Ready for the turn in weather, cleaned the chimney (really didn’t need it) cleaned the ash out of the stove since I stopped burning in it on Tuesday, brought in 2 wheel barrels worth of wood and lit a fire. Snow, sleet, rain forecasted all day tomorrow, so I’m as ready and ready can be.

Same here; used the soot eater, cleaned some ashes, made and filled a 3/4 face cord rack in the garage.
Either tonight or tomorrow morning I'll start again. Just his whole week of not burning, even some days when the minisplit didn't get used.

::-)

82C59C46-855F-428A-8BF3-CD0DD511C374.jpeg

Nice load and photo. The blue reminds me of burning maple.
All ash. Realistically 4 pieces filled it, the kindling sized filler aren’t gonna add much.

I have lots of experience changing gaskets on my VC, most are very easy to do. Buy I am not looking forward to changing the BK door gasket.
looks like to me if you take the door of the princess and lay it down flat, changing door gaskets is no big deal, now the ashford might be a different deal

Let us know how your search ends up. I was considering grabbing a new cat for my Ashford 25 but wasn't having any luck online either.
The cats are the same on my princess and ashford, easy to find

Hi All, it's been awhile. I just made the move from the White Mountains of New Hampshire to Aroostook County, Maine for a job with Baxter State Park. We bought a 2000sf Farm House on with a beautiful view and full exposure to the wind. It's always WINDY. The house has some Tractor Supply wood hog so I ordered a Blaze King Princess before I even moved in. I had a Sirroco 20 in New Hampshire so I am really excited to be getting the Princess.

I was told when I ordered from the nearest dealer that it was a 4-6 week lead time. That was back in November. When I called to check in, they told me "When you ordered, we said mid to late February." Ugh. SO now I am debating between flying through my meager (it's hard, and illegal to move firewood across state lines, and I don't trust anyone I don't know selling "dry wood") wood supply in the existing stove, or saving it for the Princess. Either way, I know I am going to be burning lots of oil.

Sob story aside, is there any magic password to get my Princess Faster? Can BKVP pull some strings for me? Northern Maine is COLD!

Trying to keep up with @rdust here’s a full load for me. This will be a 24 hour load with just a few coals left tomorrow at this time. Keeps the home in mid 70s when temperatures outside are just above freezing overnight and low 40s during the day. It’s dark and rainy all the time.

This is 5 splits of Doug fir and 3 splits of cherry.

The cat is just shy of 50% consumed (by hours) but is working great. Low and slow full time heat!28703ECC-F731-4D5A-A51A-2DA7D74E5FF1.jpeg

looks like to me if you take the door of the princess and lay it down flat, changing door gaskets is no big deal, now the ashford might be a different deal

The challenge is cleaning and adding new rtv around all the door glass retainer hardware that is hidden under the door gasket.

Hi All, it's been awhile. I just made the move from the White Mountains of New Hampshire to Aroostook County, Maine for a job with Baxter State Park. We bought a 2000sf Farm House on with a beautiful view and full exposure to the wind. It's always WINDY. The house has some Tractor Supply wood hog so I ordered a Blaze King Princess before I even moved in. I had a Sirroco 20 in New Hampshire so I am really excited to be getting the Princess.

I was told when I ordered from the nearest dealer that it was a 4-6 week lead time. That was back in November. When I called to check in, they told me "When you ordered, we said mid to late February." Ugh. SO now I am debating between flying through my meager (it's hard, and illegal to move firewood across state lines, and I don't trust anyone I don't know selling "dry wood") wood supply in the existing stove, or saving it for the Princess. Either way, I know I am going to be burning lots of oil.

Sob story aside, is there any magic password to get my Princess Faster? Can BKVP pull some strings for me? Northern Maine is COLD!
Ah man, tis the crazy times. I’d probably burn the oil on the milder days and use some firewood on the colder ones. The princess will burn crazy long on the presto logs if it comes down to it.

Reactions: Highbeam
Finally getting another cold snap here in PA Sunday to burn through the Holiday at least. While cleaning the stove up and setting up the next fire I took a picture of my door gasket.

Just for my piece of mind, does it look good and normal. Not having any issues and it passes the bill test (between the hinges is the least pressure). Figured why not ask. Stove is a 2015 that I got used in 2018, assuming it's factory..

20211216_125551.jpg

Reactions: TheBigIron
@JKanor , looks like al the brown on your gasket is inside the knife edge. I would run that with confidence.

Reminder to all gasket and combustor shoppers, right now the USA is short staffed. Please be kind to the people who do show up. I can tell you showing up gets harder every day.

Reactions: Nealm66 and JKanor
Please let the fire go out. Open door and sandwich door between your knees. Then place the palm of both hands on either side of the glass. While squeezing the glass between your hands, check to see if the glass moves within the door frame. Try back and forth and up and down. Caution: you might lift door off hinges doing this, so be aware of this.

Advise.

BKVP
The glass is tight. Removed the door and replaced the gasket. Found that the gasket seam where the two ends meet was in the middle of the door. Is this correct? Looking in the manual, it states to start the seam in the lower right corner, which i did when replacing. Still having the same smoke smell with the cat engaged. And still coming from the hinge side of the door. Performed the dollar bill test with the new gasket. It is tight everywhere, except the hinge side, and this is with many adjustments of the latch for the loading door.

Is this adjustment supposed to be continued until the hinge side passes the dollar bill test? It seems that with each adjustment no improvement is made. Only result is the adjustment is pulling the handle side of the door in tighter and no where else.

Almost like the hinges need to be moved in towards the back of the firebox. I know this isnt possible, just my conclusion from the results of the latch adjustment.

Status
Not open for further replies.