2021-2022 BK everything thread

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OK all you Blaze King owners and hearth contributors, I would like to wish you all a very safe Holiday Season and a Merry Christmas.

BKVP

The scrunchy sound, squeaky sound on the thermostat dial. There was a post explaining how to correct but using tools in not an option, anybody? please, THX
Without tools this could be difficult. Have you tried using silicone spray to lubricate it?

My spot for a long burn on my King parlor seems to be about 4 o'clock when I put it there after burning awhile whether for fire viewing or not, it makes a click , I believe it's the flapper thing and I just leave it there any of that make any sense?
Yup. Took me a long time to notice it and I’d actually made my mark on the swoosh before I even noticed it. Kind of sneaky , subtle but it’s there. I adjust from it a little in either direction for extremes

The scrunchy sound, squeaky sound on the thermostat dial. There was a post explaining how to correct but using tools in not an option, anybody? please, THX
You can try a couple of things:

First, look to see if wear the rod goes through the bracket behind the knob is rubbing. You can apply some lubricant if need be. Second, you may have to allow someone to help you because the thermostat body needs to get pulled out and the gear need lubricating. If you can get some help, PM me and I'll work over the phone with the person doing the work to get it done correctly.

Thank you for your service!

Chris

Not so good here, up and down, this week is a up week in temps, like 50's and almost 60 on Thursday, then back down for the weekend, crazy to think that I'm going to get a T time for 18 holes on Thursday then possibly be skiing by next Thursday in the same town, about the only good thing I can say about the weather is that I'm saving 2 wheel barrels worth of wood a week.
Ya, I have to tap out on those days if I’m smart enough to look ahead. That low and slow heat is deceiving. Highbeam seems to have it dialed in like a Jedi. Me… not so much

Reactions: Highbeam
Somfor android devices is anyone using Tapatalk? I don't see hearth on it so when I sign on it's threw the website and on a cell phone it's getting a little crazy.

You can try a couple of things:

First, look to see if wear the rod goes through the bracket behind the knob is rubbing. You can apply some lubricant if need be. Second, you may have to allow someone to help you because the thermostat body needs to get pulled out and the gear need lubricating. If you can get some help, PM me and I'll work over the phone with the person doing the work to get it done correctly.

Thank you for your service!

Chris
Chris, THX, I will probably do that, and THX for the kind words.

Ya, I have to tap out on those days if I’m smart enough to look ahead. That low and slow heat is deceiving. Highbeam seems to have it dialed in like a Jedi. Me… not so much

I think I’m just lucky to have an old house with just the right amount of heating demand. We’re on full loads now, 24 hour cycle but need a little kindling to ignite the reload so not quite minimum output continuously.

To make the thermostat knob squeak go away you need to lubricate this little spring washer that provides a tension. That little spring washer is under the thermostat cover on the rod that the knob attaches to. I just did it a week ago and the knob turns like butta! I’ve never removed the actual thermostat. That thing is sealed down with rtv. Perhaps there’s even more improvement there?

Last edited:
Reactions: Nealm66
What is the longest burn anyone has ever done, or read about from a reputable source, in a BK King? Species and MC?

Asking for a friend.

What is the longest burn anyone has ever done, or read about from a reputable source, in a BK King? Species and MC?

Asking for a friend.
I think I remember seeing ?dieselhead? member in Alaska saying 36-40hr for his king.

Asking for a friend.
At Hearth Expo in Phoenix AZ. We took a King, modified the loading door with no glass and a locking latch. A chart recorder was connected to the rear side of the combustor to monitor combustor activity. A load of Tamarack from my personal wood pile was hand selected, shaped and numbered to have maximum load density.

The stove was located inside a 3 sided, outdoor display. No other heater was in the same booth. (Sometimes we burn a wood and gas unit for display purposes.)

We started a fire using 5lbs of kindling to establish a 2" coal bed and get combustor active. After 30 minutes we loaded 74lbs of large and medium and small pieces of tamarack. The ends were marked by numbers and corresponded to key showing where each piece was to be located.

Loading door was closed and locked. Thermostat was set to consume sub 1kg/hr. Knob was then removed. Bypass handle was also removed. All 3 items were handed over to the CEO/President of HPBA....with dozens of dealers present.

Total burn time was 62 hours, 32 minutes before combustor dropped below 550F. The chart printer by the chart recorder is very, very long, now laminated and in my office.

Acknowledged:
Day time temps were above 75, night time below freezing. You can see combustor influenced by change in stack effect (draft)

Tetris loading maximized fuel load most certainly.

Piece size included 2 half rounds that were 18" across, 10" thick. Remainder very average for King users in the PNW.

BUT THIS IS NOT THE RECORD, Just the witnessed by hundreds of people record.

The longest burn of all time will remain a secret.

At Hearth Expo in Phoenix AZ. We took a King, modified the loading door with no glass and a locking latch. A chart recorder was connected to the rear side of the combustor to monitor combustor activity. A load of Tamarack from my personal wood pile was hand selected, shaped and numbered to have maximum load density.

The stove was located inside a 3 sided, outdoor display. No other heater was in the same booth. (Sometimes we burn a wood and gas unit for display purposes.)

We started a fire using 5lbs of kindling to establish a 2" coal bed and get combustor active. After 30 minutes we loaded 74lbs of large and medium and small pieces of tamarack. The ends were marked by numbers and corresponded to key showing where each piece was to be located.

Loading door was closed and locked. Thermostat was set to consume sub 1kg/hr. Knob was then removed. Bypass handle was also removed. All 3 items were handed over to the CEO/President of HPBA....with dozens of dealers present.

Total burn time was 62 hours, 32 minutes before combustor dropped below 550F. The chart printer by the chart recorder is very, very long, now laminated and in my office.

Acknowledged:
Day time temps were above 75, night time below freezing. You can see combustor influenced by change in stack effect (draft)

Tetris loading maximized fuel load most certainly.

Piece size included 2 half rounds that were 18" across, 10" thick. Remainder very average for King users in the PNW.

BUT THIS IS NOT THE RECORD, Just the witnessed by hundreds of people record.

The longest burn of all time will remain a secret.
Does the real record include your personal stove and you being on a trip/vacation? Seem to recall a story you related to us here some time ago.:cool: Either way. Who doesn't want a King!

Reactions: Alpine1
Does the real record include your personal stove and you being on a trip/vacation? Seem to recall a story you related to us here some time ago.:cool: Either way. Who doesn't want a King!
A business trip down under…..

No sir. That's #2. The Expo was #3. #1 remains guarded...

Reactions: moresnow
I have an idea about how to beat 62. It’s not with tamarack.
That'd be large shipping cost, or a move to "oak (or locust) country" :)

Is this like the 99mpg carburetor?
It's real. For liability reasons I cannot expand. But it is reproducible every time.

I think I remember seeing ?dieselhead? member in Alaska saying 36-40hr for his king.
I’ve got around 30 hrs on low on a full load of mixed hardwoods when the temps are high 30s low 40s. Towards the end of the burn the stove was not putting out enough heat to keep the temp in the house at the desired temp however. The cat was still active but stove top temps were dropping. I do have a 25’ straight up flue and The equivalent of 3k sqft area to heat I consider my burn times pretty choice! Depending on outdoor temps I do anywhere from a 12-30 hour reload cycle.

It's real. For liability reasons I cannot expand. But it is reproducible every time.

"After the mahogany block is milled to the exact size and shape of the firebox, seal it in a tub of kerosene to soak for a week. Meanwhile, cut the stove in half with a torch. Lift off the top half of the stove, drop the block in, and light the fire by welding the stove back together."

"After the mahogany block is milled to the exact size and shape of the firebox, seal it in a tub of kerosene to soak for a week. Meanwhile, cut the stove in half with a torch. Lift off the top half of the stove, drop the block in, and light the fire by welding the stove back together."
Nothing very elaborate like that!

I'll remember this next time I need a sauna heated up when it's 75 outside.

Dealers buy from all sorts of suppliers. For example, we were not buying enough 1.25" gasket from our supplier so they dumped us. Retailers can acquire parts, such as gaskets, from many, many suppliers. We advocate dealers to buy from us the OEM stuff, but it's their call.

I can tell you....you can order it and ask to have it drop shipped from us to your home. Residential delivery by UPS can be a bit more costly that to a business address.
you know, you'd make it a lot easier on us if you would sell gaskets and related items directly. IMHO. I know your trying to support your dealers, but at least we would be assured we were getting the right stuff

Reactions: showrguy
Status
Not open for further replies.