2021/22 VC Owner thread

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Guess I’ll have to settle for the 2nd post on this thread....;)
And yes 87 degrees and 98% humidity at 430 in the morning doesn’t make for a good day.

I tried to post on the old thread for last season, since I didn't clean the stove yet from then, so I guess I will settle for posting on this one :) My local hardware store is going out of business, so I just bought 60 ft of gasket material for $0.16 a foot... Maybe I will replace some of the gaskets this year.

No turning back now!

DD5D50A4-7E2D-44EF-A60D-1454F2FE1FD8.jpeg

The refractory box was shot. So, nothing like waiting until the last minute to put a new one in. The upper fireback came out easy enough. I’m guessing it won’t be that easy going back in.

Reactions: Reckless
How many years did you get out of that refractory box?

How many years did you get out of that refractory box?
I’ve put six seasons on it and I believe the guy I bought the stove from had two seasons on his rebuild. So not too bad I guess for a stove known to be finicky and weak. I think once all the thermos are in place and people learn how to run these stoves they are not to bad. This will be the only time I rebuild it however. Time to start saving for a new stove once this thing burns out again.

Reactions: Reckless
The refractory box was shot. So, nothing like waiting until the last minute to put a new one in. The upper fireback came out easy enough. I’m guessing it won’t be that easy going back in.
It will not go back as easily as it came out. If you can get a second set of hands holding it via the griddle top it would help. That way you can align the bolts without worrying of damaging the refractory box. The best way for one person job would be to flip the stove on its back and have the gravity work with you.

Reactions: begreen
It will not go back as easily as it came out. If you can get a second set of hands holding it via the griddle top it would help. That way you can align the bolts without worrying of damaging the refractory box. The best way for one person job would be to flip the stove on its back and have the gravity work with you.
I was afraid of this. I was hoping to not take the stovepipe down and flue collar off. However it’s looking like this is going to happen. I’ve been trying to figure out how to lift it back in place before putting the new refractory box in. Not going very smooth yet.

Here’s a question for everyone who has done this already. Gasket rope the upper or cement? I see the bolt holes are right in the gasket channel.

I was afraid of this. I was hoping to not take the stovepipe down and flue collar off. However it’s looking like this is going to happen. I’ve been trying to figure out how to lift it back in place before putting the new refractory box in. Not going very smooth yet.
Disconnecting the pipe is no big deal. You can turn the stove 90* gently so you do not snap one of the legs. Borrow a dolly, set the dolly behind the stove, put some 2x6 blocks underneath the stove so there is no gap. Strap the stove to the dolly, flip backwards. Simple

Reactions: Rusty18
Here’s a question for everyone who has done this already. Gasket rope the upper or cement? I see the bolt holes are right in the gasket channel.
I remember on the 2550 the groove was only on the bottom side and two short horizontal sides where the bolts go. The upper side was just a flat cast and I put lots of cement there. Not a best design.

I have a VC Dauntless Flexburn on order and due to be installed around the end of October. It will be going in a new addition that we are in the process of completing. Wood has already been stacked awaiting its arrival. Growing up with a old Intrepid at my parents house, I'm looking foward to continuing the VC tradition in my home.

Reactions: Jmorg and Todd
I have a VC Dauntless Flexburn on order and due to be installed around the end of October. It will be going in a new addition that we are in the process of completing. Wood has already been stacked awaiting its arrival. Growing up with a old Intrepid at my parents house, I'm looking foward to continuing the VC tradition in my home.
Keep us posted on this stove. There's a lot of interest in this one. Will you be running it flex-burn or cat?

I’ve put six seasons on it and I believe the guy I bought the stove from had two seasons on his rebuild. So not too bad I guess for a stove known to be finicky and weak. I think once all the thermos are in place and people learn how to run these stoves they are not to bad. This will be the only time I rebuild it however. Time to start saving for a new stove once this thing burns out again.
8-10 yrs seems to be average for a well cared for stove with the newer refractory material.

Reactions: RandyBoBandy
8-10 yrs seems to be average for a well cared for stove with the newer refractory material.
I still want to get away from this stove eventually. Over $200 for the refractory box, about $200 for a cat every few years and god forbid any of the internals warp or crack $$$$. Hopefully I get 8-10 years of saving for a new stove.

Reactions: begreen
I almost pulled the trigger on one of those, sure is a good looker. Always wanted to try a top loader, it would be a lot easier on the knees. Keep us posted.

I wanted a Dauntless but it was too tall to fit in our fireplace where we wanted it. Unfortunately they do not sell a short leg kit for it either. I ended up going with the Intrepid Flexburn. I bought it the end of March and the 1st one they sent the enamel was all cracked to hell. Been waiting over a month of a replacement. We were told "end of Sept", well you can't get much closer to the end of Sept than now.

Nice looking stove and hearth!

Reactions: Humberwho
I'll be firing up my Dauntless in a few weeks ... probably a little too soon, but I see my neighbor Humberwho is already up and running. ;lol

Right now I'm troubleshooting an issue with water dripping down the inside of my chimney pipe and splattering onto the stove. I took some pics and started a thread: https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/water-leaking-around-chimney-box-with-pics.188255/
Would love to hear any insight about chimneys, sealing, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.