2022-2023 BK everything thread

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The manual states "Excessive temperatures can be caused by many small pieces of very low moisture content wood being used as a primary fuel source." The wood I'm currently burning is SMALL diameter Black Spruce that was cut and single split two years ago. It was down to 12% a while back but now that the humidity is a bit higher it's up to 16% or so. I cut and split this wood for camping wood long before I even thought about a wood stove and it probably should have been left in rounds for the stove. I'm guessing this small/dry wood is probably a huge factor in the higher temperatures I can encounter. It's larger than kindling but probably averaged 4-6" rounds that I single split, if stacked in the Sirocco 20 tightly I can get 12 pieces in. It's burns great and will hold a fire for 20 hours if I turn it way down so all is good I just don't run it higher than 4:00. Should be far enough back in the shed that I can reach some bigger splits by the time we are in the - digits and need to crank the stove up. As BKVP said it's all good I'm just probably being overcautious and worry too much.

Many here find an internal flue probe is a great tool to fine tune your burns. If you had one and it was also reading high it might tell you there’s a problem or not?
What probe is recommended for the flue?

I just ordered a Condar Catalytic Probe Thermometer with 4 inch Probe just to see what the actual high temperature is.

There is also another possibility. The ones in the BK are cheaper.

Pure speculation on my side, but it is not impossible, I think.
You build a good case for why it could or should be cheaper, but honestly... I think you're giving the folks at Condar way too much credit. I suspect they only "zero" the gauges at room temperature, before packing and shipping. If they are doing even a single-point check at a typical operating temperature, I would be pleasantly surprised... but still surprised. ;lol

NIELS arrived today. This is two tons. By the way, I'm tired now. I'll run NIELS exclusively for a few months, then switch to mix of cordwood and NIELS. I'm testing a few items which I'll share when completed.

20220928_143830.jpg

NIELS arrived today. This is two tons. By the way, I'm tired now. I'll run NIELS exclusively for a few months, then switch to mix of cordwood and NIELS. I'm testing a few items which I'll share when completed.

View attachment 299564
I’ve burned more than that. Was a good 30 hour burn in the princess stuffed full. I know you had concerns but the princess will put them into black screen and they seem to burn lower temp than Doug fir in my stove for sure

Sure does stack nice. Would be great for my undiagnosed OCD 😁
Glad I wasn't the only one for whom that was the very first thought, at seeing that photo.

My Neighbors ended up purchasing a PE Super 27. They didn’t like the long lead time on the BK. The salesman couldn’t guaranted it would get here before next year. The PE lead time is 6-10 weeks. He was really pushing the PE line. Everything on the floor was sold, they looked real busy.
The time between buying the BK Ashford 30.2 and when they delivered and set it up was 4 days. I guess I got lucky ? Also I joined to Imperial hearth pads together to make sure I had more than enough ember protection. 72" wide and 60" deep.

• Wow
Reactions: stoveliker
The time between buying the BK Ashford 30.2 and when they delivered and set it up was 4 days. I guess I got lucky ? Also I joined to Imperial hearth pads together to make sure I had more than enough ember protection. 72" wide and 60" deep.
Dealer likely had it in stock, or at least someone in their network did. A bird in hand...

View attachment 299564
Im 28 hrs into a burn on a load of bio blocks, running on the hole 77 in the house door walls open. still way into the active zone. Man I love this stove

Reactions: Ashful
Dealer likely had it in stock, or at least someone in their network did. A bird in hand...
Nosy minds gots to know, what did the stove set you back?

New BK Princess owner here. I had a VC Encore last year. I’ve just had a few break in fires with the BK stove, but so far I’m very impressed. And the paint curing didn’t smell too terrible either.

The stove puts out such even heat. And I have very good control of the fire. Unlike with my VC stove. Sometimes that one would take off on me.

I’ve had some small fires. 4-5 pieces of cherry at a time. Looking forward to really loading it up this winter.

I also just bought an Auber thermometer. The one with the 4” probe. Looking forward to seeing what the flue temps are during the burn phases.

New BK Princess owner here. I had a VC Encore last year. I’ve just had a few break in fires with the BK stove, but so far I’m very impressed. And the paint curing didn’t smell too terrible either.

The stove puts out such even heat. And I have very good control of the fire. Unlike with my VC stove. Sometimes that one would take off on me.

I’ve had some small fires. 4-5 pieces of cherry at a time. Looking forward to really loading it up this winter.

I also just bought an Auber thermometer. The one with the 4” probe. Looking forward to seeing what the flue temps are during the burn phases.
I wouldn't worry about flu temps, its the cat you need to pay attention to. when either one of my stoves are running with the cat engaged the flu temp can be way down. Sometimes I can almost keep my hand on it. Now keep in mind i have double wall pipe

I got the Auber mostly for the alarm. In case my wife is reloading the stove and forgets to close the door. Or the bypass.

But I also like data.
I've forgotten to close the by-pass a time or too, was lucky that no damage occured, but damage can happen if your running the t-stat on high with open by-pass, you could melt the retainer clips and warp the by-pass opening.

Reactions: DonTee
I've forgotten to close the by-pass a time or too, was lucky that no damage occured, but damage can happen if your running the t-stat on high with open by-pass, you could melt the retainer clips and warp the by-pass opening.
I have as well with my last stove. Now when I’m loading the stove etc I’ll start a timer on my phone. It reminds me to come back to the stove if I forget.

A question for you guys. I’ve read with a new stove (or new cat) that it’s normal for the cat temp to be in the very upper end of the range (or just past that) for a little while, while the cat is breaking in. How long does it do that?

what retainer clips ken?

I have as well with my last stove. Now when I’m loading the stove etc I’ll start a timer on my phone. It reminds me to come back to the stove if I forget.

A question for you guys. I’ve read with a new stove (or new cat) that it’s normal for the cat temp to be in the very upper end of the range (or just past that) for a little while, while the cat is breaking in. How long does it do that?
Several weeks...well into this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.