2022-2023 BK everything thread

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah after playing with the thermostat it really likes 3:00 position. Any lower and it falls below the active zone after about six hours. Above the 3:30 position it gets above the active zone. I'm hoping as outside temps change and the cat gets broke in I can run it at 4:00 because at 3:00 the top is under 350° or so. Getting it up to 500 or so will probably be needed when it's -40°.
I think our friend runs mostly fully open when it's that cold. But now I'm relaying his experience, and he can do that better himself.

I think our friend runs mostly fully open when it's that cold. But now I'm relaying his experience, and he can do that better himself.
Time will tell but right now if I left it turned up beyond 3:30 I'd have a puddle of melted steel in the corner and I'm not so sure I could get a new one anytime soon.

Assuming your setup is good, it should calm down after the first couple of weeks. New cats are a little overly-active.

But speaking of which, what's your chimney height? I don't recall you mentioning it.

I think we have two different topics in this thread. The BX24 does run down slightly. If you look with the door open, you'll see a little "shoe" that the door ramp up. You can put a small shim in there as part of leveling the door. Is this a new stove? Have you contacted the dealer? It's adjustable, but be careful not to over loosen the adjustment nuts on the hinge side.

Contact the dealer first please....call us if you need more assistance.

BKVP
I reached out to the dealer with a email over the weekend with the same photos I posted here. Then Tuesday I made a call to find out the salesman had the day off. So today I called and talked to the salesman who said he saw my email. First he said " I dont know what to say" then said he "reached out" for a solution but hasnt received a callback yet. We spoke for a total of about 1.5 minutes then he said "at this point, I think the only solution is to return the stove for a refund". I said; "at this point"? "Your totally out of options after speaking less than 2 minutes"? I said I have a demo model stove which you stated was use very lightly for demo purposes. Which is being treated as a brand new stove with a full factory warranty upon purchase. And how good the warranties are on BK stoves, and if I ever have any issues, "let me know ASAP and I'll take care of you. He said he would call me later today but never did. I'm sure he's searching for a answer first.

Now to the matter at hand. The manual states the two door hinges are adjustable by removing the door first. Then using a 7/16 wrench the hinges can be adjusted by moving them in. This is the method it states for tightening the door gasket. If the hinges are adjustable, cant I simply move the top hinge in which would lift the top of the door upwards? The hinges are pretty visible with the door on, but I dont see that they are slotted to allow them to move. Not like setup for the door latch which have very visible slots that allow that assembly to be adjusted. Thanks

To your question....yes. You can shoot me a PM and I'll see if a engineer can call you. Make certain you give me a number that you have handy (cell?)

Our guys have started at 4:00 a.m. PST to avoid high temps. So the guys could call early if that helps....

Reactions: Ashful
well got the princess all tuned up and ready to rock. brushed the pipe, new door gasket, cleaned the cat (2nd year) new gasket, anti seize on the by pass linkage, a little light oil on the thermostat doo hickey. topped it all of with a fresh coat of stove paint spray. The ashford comes next

Yeah after playing with the thermostat it really likes 3:00 position. Any lower and it falls below the active zone after about six hours. Above the 3:30 position it gets above the active zone. I'm hoping as outside temps change and the cat gets broke in I can run it at 4:00 because at 3:00 the top is under 350° or so. Getting it up to 500 or so will probably be needed when it's -40°.
A new cat should settle in after a half cord or first full cord burnt. Kinda like a new puppy. Once the newness wears down you will still have an excellent stove, just not quite as hyper.

Reactions: Crummy
well got the princess all tuned up and ready to rock. brushed the pipe, new door gasket, cleaned the cat (2nd year) new gasket, anti seize on the by pass linkage, a little light oil on the thermostat doo hickey. topped it all of with a fresh coat of stove paint spray. The ashford comes next
Now we've got to change the drawings to reflect "doo hickey" as the proper part description!

Now we've got to change the drawings to reflect "doo hickey" as the proper part description!
To avoid multiple revisions, you may want to work "doo-dad" and "whoosie-whatsit" in there, on the same ECN.

Reactions: Nealm66 and BKVP
I get that from my grand kids, they have a name for just about everything

Assuming your setup is good, it should calm down after the first couple of weeks. New cats are a little overly-active.

But speaking of which, what's your chimney height? I don't recall you mentioning it.
Fresh cat plus fine split super dry spruce. Might look like kindling to the rest of us. Also, if it’s not being loaded tightly that’s a lot of active surface area.

Fresh cat plus fine split super dry spruce. Might look like kindling to the rest of us. Also, if it’s not being loaded tightly that’s a lot of active surface area.
Spruce is kindling! What else on earth would you use it for? ;hm ;lol

I bet the spruce up there is super tight grain and maybe a little denser? I’ve cut old growth spruce that was really heavy
I’m pretty sure Doug fir is a spruce too. I know it’s not a true fir.

Spruce is kindling! What else on earth would you use it for? ;hm ;lol
Not much of a choice in the interior. Birch or Spruce is about it and my Birch isn't dry yet. Just got a load for next winter.
IMG_20220908_184546.jpg

Reactions: Ashful and Highbeam
Not much of a choice in the interior. Birch or Spruce is about it and my Birch isn't dry yet. Just got a load for next winter.
yeah, I know... I was just poking fun, as I tend to do. I was an oak snob for years, Sandy put so much oak on the ground in 2011 that I was still burning nothing but until last year. Now we're burning nearly all ash, thanks to EAB.

Reactions: Crummy
yeah, I know... I was just poking fun, as I tend to do. I was an oak snob for years, Sandy put so much oak on the ground in 2011 that I was still burning nothing but until last year. Now we're burning nearly all ash, thanks to EAB.
How does Ash compare to oak for you? I have both, other than all of the extra ashes from the Ash, its pretty equal to me.

Oak coals, ash does less so. And I get somewhat longer burn times out of a full load of oak - though maybe my splits were straighter so I can pack it tighter than the ash I have.

How does Ash compare to oak for you? I have both, other than all of the extra ashes from the Ash, its pretty equal to me.
Ash has much lower BTU and burn time for a given output rate, but that's fine, I'm working from home these days. Oak does present more problems with coaling than most other woods, as stoveliker already indicated. Not a huge problem if you don't need maximum BTU's all the time, but a definite point of frustration for those who do.

I care less and less about what I'm burning, as time goes on, give how I have been running the stove the last few years. I load it 2x per day, and set the knob to a point that gives me roughly 12 hours burn time. If that's too much, I have a second mark on the knob for 24 hours, and can roughly eyeball 18 hours in-between. Any heat required, beyond what the stove puts out, is handled by my six zones of oil-fired hydronic (four floors, six zones), three heat pumps (more remote zones), or resistive baseboards (third floor above stove). I don't bother trying to manage the house temperature with the stove anymore, doing that was frankly too much work for a house this big, I just try to avoid over-shooting in warmer weather.

Reactions: Nealm66
Ash has much lower BTU and burn time for a given output rate, but that's fine, I'm working from home these days. Oak does present more problems with coaling than most other woods, as stoveliker already indicated. Not a huge problem if you don't need maximum BTU's all the time, but a definite point of frustration for those who do.

I care less and less about what I'm burning, as time goes on, give how I have been running the stove the last few years. I load it 2x per day, and set the knob to a point that gives me roughly 12 hours burn time. If that's too much, I have a second mark on the knob for 24 hours, and can roughly eyeball 18 hours in-between. Any heat required, beyond what the stove puts out, is handled by my six zones of oil-fired hydronic (four floors, six zones), three heat pumps (more remote zones), or resistive baseboards (third floor above stove). I don't bother trying to manage the house temperature with the stove anymore, doing that was frankly too much work for a house this big, I just try to avoid over-shooting in warmer weather.
What and the world are you trying to heat? I can only imagine what your wife must think about your setup.

What and the world are you trying to heat? I can only imagine what your wife must think about your setup.
I’m heating about 7800 sq.ft. of older construction, with a lot of windows and doors, as old houses tend to be.

I actually forgot to include propane in the prior list, although that’s presently only keeping the attached garage at 55F, it only gets partial credit.

Last edited:
@BKVP - can the rheostat be replaced from the front or does it need to be disassembled completely to access it? My rheostat no longer works on the highest setting (fan slows down). Does the blaze king warranty also cover labor for these types of issues? Stove is 1 year 10 months old.

@BKVP - can the rheostat be replaced from the front or does it need to be disassembled completely to access it? My rheostat no longer works on the highest setting (fan slows down). Does the blaze king warranty also cover labor for these types of issues? Stove is 1 year 10 months old.
Call the dealer and the rheostat can easily be replaced. I think they are in stock, but I'm not in the office today to verify. Warranty issue is covered in the manual, by model.

Status
Not open for further replies.