2022 Garden Thread

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Tomatoes went into the ground 2 days ago. I have a row cover over them. Hope they will make it. It was 65º yesterday but 42º last night. I have backups still in the greenhouse if they don't. I also put in a row of carrot seeds. Broccoli loves this weather. Peas and lettuce are growing, slowly.

Is this cold accompanied by clouds or rain, or are you getting sun during the day? What‘s the forecast like for the rest of May? Ours in unfortunately hot, the kind of hot where it could be hard for the new tomato flowers to set fruit. I might have to pull out the shade cloth, but I hate to do it this early in the season.

Reactions: clancey
All the above. We're about to head into a very rainy week. The way things are shaping up tomorrow will have the record low high temp for that date. It looks like May could end up with double or even triple normal rainfall. And the long-range forecast is that this may continue until the end of June. My melons are not going to be happy.

Thanks--just to be sure I will make the hole a little larger because its a Big Boy tomato so we will see and I made up my special food for it so I hope it grows and grows..thanks again...clancey

Thanks for all that insight, DG. It's good to know that the tank water doesn't get too hot to use on the plants. I guess since I have no experience collecting rainwater, I was thinking if a tank is sitting in the sun the water would heat up and be more like the hot water that comes out of the hose when it has been sitting in the sun for a while, but I guess the sheer volume in a tank would not heat to that level.

Thanks for all that insight, DG. It's good to know that the tank water doesn't get too hot to use on the plants. I guess since I have no experience collecting rainwater, I was thinking if a tank is sitting in the sun the water would heat up and be more like the hot water that comes out of the hose when it has been sitting in the sun for a while, but I guess the sheer volume in a tank would not heat to that level.

I'm in SouthEast Ohio, and store my rain water in an IBC tote. Once the water in the hose itself drains, the tank water is almost always cool.
My tank is in full sun until about 3pm.

I'm in SouthEast Ohio, and store my rain water in an IBC tote. Once the water in the hose itself drains, the tank water is almost always cool.
My tank is in full sun until about 3pm.

I don't know what made me think you were in Texas! I'm on a few garden forums, and sometimes I get folk's locations confused.

That's good to know your IBC tote is in full sun until about 3, and the water stays cool enough to water after the hose gets flushed of hot water.

I am looking at Enduraplas Tanks, but most companies charge almost as much in freight as the tank costs. There is an Enduraplas dealer about 100 miles from where I live. I am going to contact them. It would be worth it to drive down and pick it up myself.

I would like to get the 550 gallon tank. I like the lower profile at 60" diameter and 52" high, but I have to measure my van to see if it would fit in the back.

EP-TLV00550DG_large.jpg

The other option would be the 450 gallon tank, taller than I want at 94" high and a 40" diameter, but I know I could fit that in my van.

EP-TLV00340DG_large.jpg

@Dan Freeman , does your van have a tow hitch on it? If so, you might consider renting a utility trailer for your trip. We transported an 1150 gallon Enduraplas tank with our 5 X 8 utility trailer towed by our mini van.

I’m the one in Texas, by the way.

Reactions: Dan Freeman
All the above. We're about to head into a very rainy week. The way things are shaping up tomorrow will have the record low high temp for that date. It looks like May could end up with double or even triple normal rainfall. And the long-range forecast is that this may continue until the end of June. My melons are not going to be happy.

The rain sounds nice but not the cold. I guess we’re on opposite sides, if one can say that, of the La Niña pattern. You get cold and wet, and I get hot and dry.

How warm is your greenhouse able to get these days?

This is going to be a tough year and short season for the heat lovers like eggplant, peppers, cukes, and canteloupe. The tomatoes usually will limp along, but may not be spectacular. Corn will be later than usual too.

The greenhouse temp varies with the sun, but it would get over 100º if I didn't open it up. In the summer the vents and doors stay wide open. At this time of the year I start opening it up when it's above 50º and sunny. I regulate the temp by the number of windows(2) and doors(2) I open. There are also two automatic vents near the peak which open in case I forget, but the temp will get up to 90 if it is 55º outside that way. In the summer (if it ever happens) the greenhouse will be about 10-15º warmer than outdoor temp. I have fans that I can use if necessary to keep it cool and last year I bought a large shade cloth. That saved our plants in the greenhouse during the heat bomb last June.

Last edited:
Here is my deer deterrent strategy in the mini food forest (mostly just fruit trees right now). Hard to see in the pics but just tried to fill it up with as many cross branches as possible so the deer don't want to jump in. Last year they devastated the apple tree, and this year they nibbled some apple tips before i got all this "junk" in their way.

22DD8CD0-A54B-43AB-9061-174473E1B7E8.jpeg F04D1463-1E0B-4C06-B23B-EA81DBF3BA10.jpeg 971C2433-5065-4958-8C41-A04B9859AFF5.jpeg FDD11913-6335-4677-A80F-B865E48204F4.jpeg A9BE5237-32C6-431A-B86A-E1FFC0D4B71E.jpeg E58B836B-21C8-460F-AAB2-3BB3D5787682.jpeg

Last edited:
@Dan Freeman , does your van have a tow hitch on it? If so, you might consider renting a utility trailer for your trip. We transported an 1150 gallon Enduraplas tank with our 5 X 8 utility trailer towed by our mini van.

I’m the one in Texas, by the way.

I have two cargo vans and neither have a hitch.

Gosh...For some reason I thought I was replying to you when I mentioned Texas. I was replying to Jb Tech! I am so confused! LOL

Here is my deer deterrent strategy in the mini food forest (mostly just fruit trees right now). Hard to see in the pics but just tried to fill it up with as many cross branches as possible so the deer don't want to jump in. Last year they devastated the apple tree, and this year they nibbled some apple tips before i got all this "junk" in their way.

View attachment 295475 View attachment 295476 View attachment 295477 View attachment 295478 View attachment 295479 View attachment 295480

Smart idea!

I got the rest of my tomatoes planted today. Then I spent the afternoon in the front yard. Part of that time was in the neighbor's yard. They have an apple tree they planted 2 years ago that looks pitiful. I trimmed it, dug out all the grass around it, put down 15 gallons of mushroom compost, fertilized it, and topped it off with wood chips. After that, I trimmed some of the ornamental trees in my yard, and then redefined some flower garden borders. I should be in traction tonight!

Would not electric fencing take care of that problem...Looks terrible bigealta in that beautiful spot. I can see it as a temporary idea and I applaud your innovation here and let us know if it works..dan freeman---your losing your mind because of all the hard work and no play that's the real reason. Now I asked about those water towers on some properties that do not have water hook up and would not that work to store water if need be on your properties? Just wondering here...The wind was so bad here I had to cover up my two plants ready to be put in the ground with a trash can with a few bricks on top talk about stupid ideas--this one worked for awhile but finally the trash can blew over and had to move the two baby plants into my back porch so your not the only one with a innovative idea bigealta--lol...Everything looks good and when I get my two plants in the ground I will take a picture of them--I dug the two holes and made them larger..Begreen I would love to see a picture of your green house and I'm suggesting to my carpenter to make me one out of the wood shed with a clear plastic type of roof on it since I will be using different wood to burn when its time to use my wood stove. My goal is to try to grow a whole bunch of " Lilly of the Valley "in it for I believe that particular plant needs shade but I am not sure just love the smell of the plant and if anyone knows anything about that plant I would love to know and planning on looking it up on the net as well. old clancey

I don't know what made me think you were in Texas! I'm on a few garden forums, and sometimes I get folk's locations confused.

That's good to know your IBC tote is in full sun until about 3, and the water stays cool enough to water after the hose gets flushed of hot water.

Sorry for any confusion. I was trying to give my experience from a similar climate.

Water from the hose this afternoon was hot, but I'd guess the water from the tank was around 65 or 70. Cool, anyhow...

Sorry for any confusion. I was trying to give my experience from a similar climate.

Water from the hose this afternoon was hot, but I'd guess the water from the tank was around 65 or 70. Cool, anyhow...
No problem; it's just my normal confusion! I have 200 feet of black hose running down to the food forest. It seems to take forever to flush out the hot water. Hot enough to make tea! I was planning to run underground tubing down there, but that won't happen until at least next year now.

Clancy,
'looks terrible" Ha yeah i love the chaos,

Muguet in french is lily of the valley, we had a bed of it here in NJ at the house i grew up in. Seems to grow like a weed if i remember correctly. In NJ.

Ha Ha---Bigealta nice to see another Jerseyite on here. I was born in Philly but went to S. Jersey--for fun and education graduating from High School there. Won a contest one time long long ago from wcau tv if I remember right and all the high school students "statewide" were ask to write a essay about what their county did for the state of N.J. and I wrote about Cape May county something about "sand dunes" on how it contributed to the state of New Jersey. They picked one person from each state to represent their county at the worlds fair in N.Y.. Utah, N.J. I am not familiar with but I bet back then it was in the sticks..lol....I fell in love with Lily of the Valley when I saw a old old barn so tall--that had a drop from the second floor and in that drop kind of darker and damper that had that plant and it covered the whole bottom area and how wonderful it was for they were in full bloom--brought back memories. Thanks for the info...clancey

Lily of the Valley is a forest floor plant. It likes to grow in shadier areas. It would not like the heat and sun of a greenhouse. A better location would be in an amended bed against the north side of the house.

Ha Ha---Bigealta nice to see another Jerseyite on here. I was born in Philly but went to S. Jersey--for fun and education graduating from High School there. Won a contest one time long long ago from wcau tv if I remember right and all the high school students "statewide" were ask to write a essay about what their county did for the state of N.J. and I wrote about Cape May county something about "sand dunes" on how it contributed to the state of New Jersey. They picked one person from each state to represent their county at the worlds fair in N.Y.. Utah, N.J. I am not familiar with but I bet back then it was in the sticks..lol....I fell in love with Lily of the Valley when I saw a old old barn so tall--that had a drop from the second floor and in that drop kind of darker and damper that had that plant and it covered the whole bottom area and how wonderful it was for they were in full bloom--brought back memories. Thanks for the info...clancey
Hey clancy, that's Utah the state and NJ. I'm back and forth. NJ does have some great beaches. I'm 1 mile from one here in NJ.

My sister just gave me a hydroponic tower garden with grow light kit. I’m getting ready to start it up and was wondering whether you would set it up inside with the lights or outside?

That's good information begreen and what I plan to do as I learn about this plant is to put it in my wood shed which is very open with slats on the side and not a lot of sun come comes into it "if I shade it" and I can keep it real damp and its open and gets the air flow so now maybe instead of putting a clear plastic top on it I might make some other decision now by shading it more and just fool around with it so to speak and see what happens. My tiny wood shed is on the North side facing south so I would have to shade that more at times--figuring that out at the moment..The problem in this area is the "dryness" of the climate but I have the hose right next to it. It's hard for me to do too much reading on the net because of my eyes and I use a magnifying glass. So little by little I will learn more about this plant as I progress and I plan to read your posting from the net about it when time allows.Thanks so much..Since it is a invasive plant I will keep it separate and the wood shed is higher up in height and that makes it a lot easier for me--just have to get together with the carpenter to adjust the "shed" somewhat and my mint plant will go in there too in a separate container because I think they are both invasive type of plants. I am going to grow my tomato plant in the ground as well as my lettuce plant--that's enough for me--lol.. Bigealta that was confusing and I thought it was a place called Utah Jersey--thanks for clearing that up..I will keep you all posted "on my great idea here"--lol ..Bigealta--lucky person yes those beaches are nice but I have not been in the Delaware Bay or the Ocean in a long time...Our two cottages were in a place called "Reeds Beach" many many years ago and they both got destroyed by the hurricanes in 1958 and 1959 I think...thanks everyone for your help..clancey

Reactions: Dan Freeman
I got over 50 nursery pots cleaned and sterilized for next season. They will go into storage. I have about another 130 to go, plus about 50 trays.

I also got my 9 Shishito Pepper and 10 California Wonder Bell Pepper plants transplanted into bigger pots. They will stay in my greenhouse all summer. My peppers always do much better in my greenhouse than when I plant them outside. Tomorrow, I will get the eggplants into bigger pots. I keep them in the greenhouse all season, too.

D40F77CE-E1D0-41FC-B063-D34578D5B11D.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I got over 50 nursery pots cleaned and sterilized for next season. They will go into storage. I have about another 130 to go, plus about 50 trays.

I also got my 9 Shishito Pepper and 10 California Wonder Bell Pepper plants transplanted into bigger pots. They will stay in my greenhouse all summer. My peppers always do much better in my greenhouse than when I plant them outside. Tomorrow, I will get the eggplants into bigger pots. I keep them in the greenhouse all season, too.

View attachment 295498
I would love to have a greenhouse like that!